Halvorsen 39 Hard Top Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legend

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Our Legend
Vessel Make
Halvorsen 39 Hard Top Express
Hello. First time here. I'm the owner of Legend, a 1996 39 Halvorsen Hard Top Express. Hoping I can learn more about other Halvorsen's along the way.

Nate

Welcome aboard Nate. Your Halvorsen model may have sold in Australia with FB. Most older timber models had no FB, so yours is quite traditional.

Thanks. Actually is a one of a kind. Designed by Harvey Halvorsen to compete against the Eastbays and eventually the Sabrelines in downeast cruising. She appeared in the 1996 Miami boat show and ultimately never went into production for unknown reasons.

She has a 40 Island Gypsy hull with the sheer lines cut down. Great semi displacement hull and about a 17kt cruise running a little better than 1gph. Enjoy her very much. One owner before me.

Hard Top Express Picts.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Cockpit II.jpg
    Cockpit II.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 240
  • On Hard.jpg
    On Hard.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 266
  • Underway III.jpg
    Underway III.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 236
And thank you for the welcome note! Happy to be here.

Welcome , nice boat .

Thanks!

Nice boat. She looks like the forerunner of the Gourmet Cruisers. Welcome to TF.

Pic 2 post 5 is very "Halvo" in character. There is a Halvorsen Club here, but unless it`s timber you can`t be a full member, which excludes IG owners.

Pic 2 post 5 is very "Halvo" in character. There is a Halvorsen Club here, but unless it`s timber you can`t be a full member, which excludes IG owners.

Yes, a bit of an island... not an old Halvo, nor an IG.

Nice boat. She looks like the forerunner of the Gourmet Cruisers. Welcome to TF.

Don, great to hear from you. Previously you and I connected when I did a ground up restoration of a 36 Sabreline Express 1998 via another forum. Glad you are here as well.

Don, great to hear from you. Previously you and I connected when I did a ground up restoration of a 36 Sabreline Express 1998 via another forum. Glad you are here as well.

The Sabreline 36 name was KinShip II.

Winter

Getting excited to have some paint work done this winter including new non skids. Spring can't come soon enough.

Yep, welcome to TF, not a Halvo style I am familiar with, any chance of some interior photo's. You can never get to many photo'[s of a Halvorsen!

Halvorsen Interior Photos

Always happy to share photos of our Halvo!

Attachments

• islandqueen.jpg
    islandqueen.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 167
  • galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 151
  • couch-setee.jpg
    couch-setee.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 164
  • helm.jpg
    helm.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 161
Beautiful boat. Welcome aboard.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Nicely proportioned boat.
Like especially the opposing and heavily slanted lines on the wheelhouse.

Thank you. She is a good boat.

We've undertaken significant hull and deck restoration work this winter. Apparently the fairing material that was used has failed so we are going after it with a vengeance which will ultimately end with a new paint job at launch in April. Knowing the root cause finally after several years of frustration is exciting. We will also update the nonskids with a lighter more modern look.

I also believe I've finally found the right screw cover strips for around the windows. More on that once confirmed.

This is my second boat restoration, and probably my last. But well worth the journey.

We've undertaken significant hull and deck restoration work this winter. Apparently the fairing material that was used has failed so we are going after it with a vengeance which will ultimately end with a new paint job at launch in April. Knowing the root cause finally after several years of frustration is exciting. We will also update the nonskids with a lighter more modern look.

I also believe I've finally found the right screw cover strips for around the windows. More on that once confirmed.

This is my second boat restoration, and probably my last. But well worth the journey.

Okay this is called going for it all. We are almost done. Full topside restoration. IMG_6423.JPGIMG_6425.JPG

This weeks progression IMG_1051.jpgIMG_1056.jpgIMG_1053.jpg

I can't wait to see this beauty in all her glory! Beautiful lines!

Back
Top Bottom