Mooring Snubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not think there is a firm point where all chain becomes more practical.
I'm not looking for a finite answer, as much as wondering if a 42-46 GB on the BC coast can get away with a combo rode.

I've never had a situation where I could no retrieve all the tackle but I know people who have. It's usually been in an old booming ground or something similar. In reality, they should have known better, but...

There is a power cable strung across a local mooching channel where every few years they go down and collect a hundred or more anchors.

Edited to elaborate a bit...

"I've never had a situation where I could no retrieve all the tackle but..."
Once, I managed to put a pretty good bend in one fluke of a Danforth and twice, had to send a line down with a shackle big enough to slide over the shank so the anchor could be pulled out from the opposite direction.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a finite answer, as much as wondering if a 42-46 GB on the BC coast can get away with a combo rode.

Would think maybe so. As I said, we use a combo rode here, and our weight/length/windage is about in that same vicinity. I'd first want to learn about bottom surfaces and typical surface winds out there; rocks would cause me to lean further toward more chain, as would typically high winds in most likely anchorages. Still maybe not all chain. Depends.

But then if there's no big-time mud to worry about cleaning off the decks, not sure there's much advantage to a combo, either, assuming appropriate windlass.

-Chris

Just my opinion, so it's only worth what you paid for it, is that if a boats big enough to have a windlass, it gets chain.

Anything larger, with fixed windlass and permanent anchor chock/mount/storage gets chain.

Try anchoring here in the mud, see how much time/fun it is to clean the links and you bring the anchor back aboard.

:)

All chain is good, IMO, except when it's a pain in the a$$.

-Chris

One of the first things I invested in when I bought my boat was installing a high pressure raw water and freshwater washdown outlets on the bow of the boat. When your anchor sets down a couple or three or four feet and you've been at anchor for a few days in somewhat benign conditions, that sticky mud is indeed a chore to get rid of. But that chain sure is nice at making at-anchor motions much gentler. We've lain solely to the chain a few times in clocking currents or gentle wind shifts.

One of the first things I invested in when I bought my boat was installing a high pressure raw water and freshwater washdown outlets on the bow of the boat.

Yep, when we added the windlass we added the raw water washdown. Not huge pressure, but not bad. Still takes me about 25 minutes to clean the mud out of 25' of chain. The anchor itself is usually a snap.

-Chris

Mud on a chain is a PITA for sure. We anchored once heading south where it took about 30 minutes to clean 100 feet of muddy chain.

Howard

Seems Dawdler was right, the thread anchor is not holding.
Our powerful salt water washdown pump is 240v, powered off the genset,I used to curse having to start the genny just to clean chain and anchor, but the genny needs to be started regularly, so it`s no bad thing.

Try anchoring here in the mud, see how much time/fun it is to clean the links and you bring the anchor back aboard.

All chain is good, IMO, except when it's a pain in the a$$.

-Chris

Yes, I've lived and sailed the Chesapeake for years, and the answer stays the same, all you need is an anchor wash system. In fact for mud I prefer chain, it washes off cleaner and easier than rope, the smell doesn't linger as long. Use the sea water wash when raising then a quick fresh water rinse once it's in the locker.

Last edited:
Yes, I've lived and sailed the Chesapeake for years, and the answer stays the same, all you need is an anchor wash system. In fact for mud I prefer chain, it washes off cleaner and easier than rope, the smell doesn't linger as long. Use the sea water wash when raising then a quick fresh water rinse once it's in the locker.

Yep, got a raw water washdown, and I can rinse it all with fresh afterwards at the dock. The retrieval process is still a pain in the a$$.

-Chris

"Our powerful salt water washdown pump is 240v, powered off the genset,I used to curse having to start the genny just to clean chain and anchor, but the genny needs to be started regularly, so it`s no bad thing."

Noisemakers need a load . just like the main engine to live long and survive.

That must be one nice BIG PUMP, if it can load the noisemaker very much.

Our powerful salt water washdown pump is 240v, powered off the genset,I used to curse having to start the genny just to clean chain and anchor, but the genny needs to be started regularly, so it`s no bad thing.

A previous owner installed our 120vac, 23gpm salt water wasdown system and it's very effective. Like Bruce, we start the generator when we use it.

One could use a combination rode with a GB42 no problem. However the selection of the windlas would determine the practicality of using this type of rode.

All-chain makes the ground tackle system easier and faster to use.

A previous owner installed our 120vac, 23gpm salt water wasdown system and it's very effective. Like Bruce, we start the generator when we use it.

Woof!

That's big time, compared to ours. Folks with something like that probably wouldn't mind cleaning mud out of chain!

-Chris

It uses a 1 hp Westinghouse AC motor driving a big Jabsco impeller pump. While there is some pressure and volume loss at the end of the hose runs from the pump to the outlets in the bow and stern, the pressure is still more than sufficient to blast mud and muck off the chain and anchor in short order.

It uses a 1 hp Westinghouse AC motor driving a big Jabsco impeller pump. While there is some pressure and volume loss at the end of the hose runs from the pump to the outlets in the bow and stern, the pressure is still more than sufficient to blast mud and muck off the chain and anchor in short order.

Marin: What size thru-hull and hose are to the pump?

Marin: What size thru-hull and hose are to the pump?

Never measured them. The through-hull and seacock are the same as all the others on the boat including the raw water intakes for the diesels.

IF one is going to spend the bucks a 2 inch clutched belt driven pump on the main would work as emergency bilge pump, fire pump and deck wash.

Over 100GPM is a bunch of water!

Back
Top Bottom