Greying Teak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The difference in the top photo is quite stark!
Since our teak is 3 years old it looks like some sanding and saltwater cleaning may do the trick.
Sand with the grain? Grit #?

From what I have seen, properly sanding teak involves skill that only comes from experience. It is easy too easy to 1) take off more than necessary, 2) end up with an uneven surface and 3) damage the caulking to the point that it all needs to be replaced. $2,500 seems to be the going rate for an experienced buy to do my cockpit and mezz deck, probably a total of about 150 sf. If the caulking is already significantly damaged/leaking, that will be extra.

I used a 5 in. random orbital vacuum sander. It's been awhile but I think the grit was 60,80,120. My decks were way older than three years so your grit choices may be different. Be careful with the speed. I also did not want them too smooth. The vacuum may be required if your in the marina and your neighbors will appreciate it.

On the advice of a very experienced shipwright who regrooved and reseamed our now-43 year old original teak deck, the only sanding I ever do--- and I only do it when absolutely necessary-- is by hand with a sanding block as when fairing new seams or plugs. That way there is no risk of a sander getting away or gouging the wood.

I agree, unless the teak really needs it, leave it alone, as much as possible. My replacement teak cost heaps, I`m not keen to sand it away.

I think some would be amazed what can be done with the cleaners the teak manufacturers suggest and how often teak can be restored without sanding and, at worse, with minimal sanding.

Again, teak cleaners "clean" by chemically removing the gray wood cells on the surface. Gray cells cannot be magically made brown again unless you stain them, and the stain will weather away fast.

Not saying teak cleaners/restorers don't work. They do, and therin lies the problem. Know that every time you use it, you're removing wood. Whether or not the wood removal is worth the look of keeping the wood brown is a decision only the owner can make.

Teak cleaners don't remove wood as quickly as sanding but they remove it nevertheless.

Last edited:
"Might I ask why you decided that rather than actually getting out on the water?

It might use up one of the 4 days a year away from the dock.

Again, teak cleaners "clean" by chemically removing the gray wood cells on the surface. Gray cells cannot be magically made brown again unless you stain them, and the stain will weather away fast.

Not saying teak cleaners/restorers don't work. They do, and therin lies the problem. Know that every time you use it, you're removing wood. Whether or not the wood removal is worth the look of keeping the wood brown is a decision only the owner can make.

Teak cleaners don't remove wood as quickly as sanding but they remove it nevertheless.

For that matter spraying water on them removes some wood, walking on them removes some. The point is that the best of the teak cleaners remove virtually none. We purchase ours directly from the manufacturer of the decks. They contain no acid, no caustic sodas, no phosphates, they brighten better than chemical cleaners and they don't remove the soft fibers any more than water does for all practical purposes. We follow the use and methods outlined by the manufacturer. We've also observed demonstrations on very sun bleached teak in which the runoff was collected and there was no visible teak fiber. We've also seen it used on a boat in which the teak was completely grey. I'm sure every time you clean your hardwood floor in your home you remove some minuscule amount of wood. Now none of it removes as much as vacuuming carpet does.

I'd have to ask if you've actually used the cleaner from the manufacturer and the methods they suggest. I'd have to toss in the caveat that all teak is not created equal. My experience and exposure is to Teakdecking Systems who do the majority of teak decks in the US and to one Italian builder. Our experience is also primarily with well maintained teak, other than a couple of times observing other.

Last edited:
I see Bill beat me to it, but who really knows their teak better than they do?

We also chartered several boats with their decks cared for using their products and observed the condition of all. When you see the 15 year old boat with teak that looks new, something must be right. And charterers really don't go for grey teak, while if one personally likes it, that's fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom