DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lena has used both but the V-67 is the easiest to work with. On the next project, we'll be trying the Tenara. :)

Hmm. Didn't see V-67 in the Sailrite offerings. Was that a typo?

What thread do you use for canvas work? V-69 or V-92? (Or perhaps something else?)

John
I use V-92 almost exclusively - and use both #20 and #22 needles

I'll attach a couple thread / needle size chart - useful to get familiar with the various numbering systems as different retailers use different designations - if you've seen / familiar w/ these you won't be confused.
Here is a comparison of the different numbering systems - Sewing Thread Comparison
The Sailrite Thread Needle Guide is a good resource & starting point

NEVER use cotton thread for any outdoor work - UV treated Polyester is the standard for most folks and generally available from many sources online.

I usually use either white or black based on canvas color.
I do try to also keep gray on hand as I have done a fair amount of gray canvas work.
I have a few folks that preferred matching colors and once-in-awhile need some special color.

While we are on colors... I have found that white zippers are easier to see & get started especially at night or poor light conditions - HOWEVER - white will not last as long as black as the UV seems to be blocked better by the black.

I think I mentioned fabric & supply sources but will repeat myself for those just getting started...
I have found Rockford Supply a good source for fabric & supplies - be sure to check out their Bargains Fabrics as you can sometimes find some really good prices - Great way to get started w/ some simple accessories, etc.

Attachments

• techsew_ndl_thread_chart.pdf
    132.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Thread and Needle Recommendations.pdf
    301.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Sorry John, a typo. I meant V-69. :)

No problem. I figured that, but wanted to check to be sure.

By the way, I just finished watching a Sailrite video on making a hatch cover, and the narrator said that Tenara was harder to use, and he was recommending V-92. Just passing on what he said -- obviously I have no personal knowledge one way or the other. :)

Edited: Actually, I went back and looked at the video again, and what he actually said was that they were using Tenra for the project, and that was recommended, but that many of the Sailrite customers found Tenra hard to use and used V-92 instead. So I misspoke. Sorry. Mea culpa

Last edited:
...By the way, I just finished watching a Sailrite video on making a hatch cover, and the narrator said that Tenara was harder to use, and he was recommending V-92...[/QUOTE

That's funny knowing that the polyester thread is going to fail before the fabric. Here is a video talking about using Tenara thread from Sailrite.

Here's the thread I bought when I was rounding up supplies and materials. Apparently my sensitive side felt that a blue thread would look good on Pacific Blue Sunbrella or solid black shade clothes I want to install on the side doors and uncovered windows. Time will tell if it "blends".
The supplies I purchased so far came from Wooley Brothers. There is a location in Baton Rouge so that will be convenient if I need quickly. The thread I purchased so far is "Sunguard" anti- wick Pacific Blue 8 oz.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442010591.656351.jpg

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I hope that a cocktail is in the solo cup! The admiral must have been involved in that picture.

Now John- the Admiral brought it up to me a couple of hours ago- am resting in bed with a sore throat and postponed my yard pass exit until tomorrow. Heck- this is basically a sewing thread... There may be more flower pictures to come ;)!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Just thought that I would mention that right now Sailrite has a half-price sale on some of their instructional DVD's. I just ordered one for making a power boat bimini top, and one for making a power boat enclosure. Plus a few other goodies. Love that online shopping. Just a few clicks of the mouse and all sorts of money is spent! :)

Nice. I watched the first 5 "how to sew" episodes on their website Friday. Just haven't got to apply anything yet.
Which videos did you purchase?? They sure have a great selection of free online stuff too.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I really needed a Bimini on the sailboat, so last season I bought a cheap one on ebay. The hardware was decent but the material was craptastic. This spring I purchased a sailrite machine and used the crappy one as a template. I sewed the new one out of sunbrella and it came out pretty darn good if I do say so lol. I will get some pics next time I am at the boat. My tip (I guess thats what you would call it) is: I really wanted a decent sized workspace, so I took to Craigslist and found an old slightly beat up dining room table for sale for $40 bucks. It had 2 leafs, but he could only find one, so I got him down to $30 lol. I used a jig saw to cut a hole in the leaf so I could flush mount the machine. I can easily remove it when not sewing and its another surface for whatever the project of the day is. It is obviously nowhere near Bacchus' level but it was $30 ;)

Attachments

• 0915151556a.jpg
    0915151556a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 87
My tip (I guess thats what you would call it) is: I really wanted a decent sized workspace, so I took to Craigslist and found an old slightly beat up dining room table for sale for $40 bucks. It had 2 leafs, but he could only find one, so I got him down to $30 lol. I used a jig saw to cut a hole in the leaf so I could flush mount the machine. I can easily remove it when not sewing and its another surface for whatever the project of the day is. It is obviously nowhere near Bacchus' level but it was $30 ;)

Great idea! There are lots of LOW cost ways to enhance the sewing work space... I didn't spend a lot on mine - garage sale folding table legs... Habitat ReStore for flush doors and "formica" topping. Craigslist provides lots of opportunities... just need to be creative - I've also seen old wooden desks made into machine "tables"

The addition of an "L" shape (table to the left of machine & operator) makes feeding a lot easier.
The pros have a complete "C" shape w only a small cut out for operator with large table behind - to the left - and ahead of the machine making infeed & outfeed smooth.

Thanks =) I definitely need more space if I ever tackle a project like that again. Feed and Out Feed were a bear. I could have never done it with out the admiral assisting. I really like the door with folding legs idea. I have a couple hanging around but they are the six panel type. Probably better than nothing.

Great idea for a thread btw (pun intended?)

I have a couple of beginner projects lined up now. One of them is a hatch cover for the trawler.

The other project is to make a cockpit cover for the kayak, so that I can hang it from the dinghy davits without it filling with rainwater. But I need a bit of creative thinking on this one, if someone is willing to help me think. I want the cover to be bowed, so that water will not puddle in it. Think of the back of a whale -- a bow something like that. Trouble is, I cannot think of a good way to make the bow. The cockpit is about 22 inches across, so with a bow in it is going to require a couple or three bendable but fairly rigid supports from one side to the other, about 28 inches from end to end.. I thought about PVC pipe, but it is not bendable enough. Any thoughts?

A picture of the kayak?:)

Well, I do not see that a picture would be helpful. The question is what sort of material to use to make those stiff, bendable bows which will go from one side to the other and hold the fabric up in a curve. A few long stiff pieces of wire comes to mind, as do some long pieces of plastic something like sail battens. But I thought someone might have a better suggestion.

However, if you really think that a picture would be helpful, tell me, and I will send one.

I want the cover to be bowed, so that water will not puddle in it. Trouble is, I cannot think of a good way to make the bow. . Any thoughts?

Jw...here are a couple of ideas.

PEX tubing is fairly stiff but bendable...sewn into a pocket it might do what you are trying to do

The smallest dia PVC tubing in a similar pocket...pre bend w a heat gun

Use the "bow sockets" used to hold bows on larger boats and a thin wooden bow...you could probably get away w one bow fore-aft instead of multi across the beam

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Hi John, I was going to suggest a sail batten but you already thought of that.
This might be helpful.
diecastrail.jpg

It is a Taylor Made Bow Socket designed to hold battens under canvas.
Taylor Made Products 2015 Product Catalog

Click Boat Covers and Accessories
Die Cast Bow Socket

A piece of yard stick would probably work for the batten.

That's Bow like Robin Hood, not Bow like the pointy end.

Thanks =) I really like the door with folding legs idea. I have a couple hanging around but they are the six panel type.
Sailor...
Try Craigslist...Swap 6 panel doors for flush doors...
Who knows you might negotiate a 2 for 1 as paneled ones are more desirable??

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Sailor...

How about a center support pole? Iike those used on larger mooring covers?

Wooden dowel w a snap on one end..rubber foot on the other and a snap in the center of the cover?

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Might try an old fender or a beach ball. The fender would work better as they don't tend to loose air like a beach ball. Just trying to come up with a simple way. I hate to drill holes in stuff.

Sailor...

How about a center support pole? Iike those used on larger mooring covers?

Wooden dowel w a snap on one end..rubber foot on the other and a snap in the center of the cover?

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Don... You have a great engineering mind :). There is nothing better than a simple- VERY effective design.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The other project is to make a cockpit cover for the kayak, I want the cover to be bowed, so that water will not puddle in it.

Perhaps you can lift from above rather than support from below. One or two tabs sewn on the centreline of the upper surface, eyelets in each and lines going up to the davits? The lines don't have to be vertical, just have some vertical component.

Thanks, guys. Lot of great, creative ideas there! I know now what I intend to try and do. Will post a photo of it after it is done. Thanks again.

Go to a sporting goods store and buy fiberglass tent poles. Almost all tents are now built with exoskeletons and those linked, bungeed, flexible poles are easy to work with. We built a "Conestoga" cover for Apophyge that was 12' wide and the tent poles worked great. Material was sunbrella, so it will hold heavy fabric.

Greetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Greetings back! Are you considering sewing your own canvas? I thought I had the "industrial" Singer version with the walking foot- but alas that is not to be. But I DO have a working sewing machine sitting now in the front cabin and supplies to use.

After an awesome day with some friends today to Ship Island loaded with dolphins swimming along- I get a few more days of yard pass and I intend to sew "something"!
I also intend on pushing the ole' 1911 Singer to the edge while awaiting funding for a Sailright walking foot design. Hell- some of us disadvantaged trawler owners occasionally have to make do with what we have.... ;)!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom