North Pacific 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-flybridge (maybe my inexperience, but with a good pilothouse why have a flybridge in the PNW?)

No logical reason but I just LIKE a flybridge.
I like the view, the visibility, the air--I just like it.

I really appreciated the wind, sun, and temperature protection of our pilothouse this summer (we don't have a/c) despite local newspapers claiming it was a record-hot summer, although that's not my impression living here nearly 70 years. Glad not to have invested in a flying bridge.

Last edited:
I've never had a boat with 2 heads, but have cruised on friends' boats with multiple heads and appreciate having my own. There has been one time in the 10 years with my current boat - 20 passengers watching a SeaFair airshow - that the head blocked. We were back at the dock within an hour but that was...motivating. Except I'm not motivated enough to install a permanent second head on my boat - but I would consider a virgin porta-potti as an emergency backup. Which I'd then toss in the nearest dumpster. :)

Let's face it, when we're talking a 2nd head we're not talking about the compartment, but having a backup toilet.

Last edited:
As a live aboard couple we appreciate 2 heads. They are both vacuflush and there have been a couple of times when one quit for one reason or another. With 2 heads, it was not an "oh sh""t" moment. It can be fixed at the next opportune time rather than becoming an emergency or cruise stopper.

Howard

No logical reason but I just LIKE a flybridge.
I like the view, the visibility, the air--I just like it.

Yeah, if I was in your part of the country I might as well. In the PNW, we don't tend to have too many days nice enough to take advantage of it.

I currently spend ALL my time out in the cockpit while under way. Rain, wind, snow, it is all in my teeth now. Being able to drive a boat, out of the wind and weather is one of the primary reasons I am looking at a trawler. :)

Dave

The two previous boats I extensively sailed on were open-cockpit sailboats. Finally decided I needed to avoid the harmful exposure to the elements, so moved to a pilothouse trawler. Haven't regretted the decision.

Not having/wanting overnight guests, one bathroom/toilet is quite sufficient.

Not having/wanting overnight guests, one bathroom/toilet is quite sufficient.

Ditto

Spare or second head should the need arise

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442456382.943324.jpg

What is the average electronics package cost on top of that?
Does that include generator, davit, obviously not any dink or outboard?

Regardless, nice price point compared to other brands, even with an extra 100-200K for cruise-ready "stuff!"

A full electronics package is standard. Don't know about the rest, though.

Here is a link to their website. http://www.northpacificyachts.com/
I went and checked the 110vac outlets on my NP, and junction boxes were not used. But none looked as cobbled up, as the one in the previous photo. All in all, I am pretty impressed with the wiring and wiring runs on my boat. Dan

Here is a link to their website. North Pacific Yachts
I went and checked the 110vac outlets on my NP, and junction boxes were not used. But none looked as cobbled up, as the one in the previous photo. All in all, I am pretty impressed with the wiring and wiring runs on my boat. Dan

Suggest you also check ....
- for the AC/DC bond
- an AC G/N bond (there shouldn't be)
- the lack of grounding of the fuel system
- the very flimsy plastic elbow where the water injects to the stuffing box
and if yours came with an inverter they likely forgot to ground the chassis.
oh yeah ...that lack of airspace under the water heater will ensure it only lives for a couple of years.

A whole bunch of easily addressed stuff (like all the other builders) but not a bad boat.

Still only one head?

I don't get that in a boat this size?

We would have bought a 42 here (Vero Beach) a couple of months ago but for the single head.

The one that I looked at had two heads. One in the master bed and one in the hallway. The one I plan on buying only has one because that's the way it came for a good price. Instead of the master head you get a larger closet and a desk with mirror. The desk will come in handy and so will the extra storage. At the dock the bow stands much taller than I expected. That's how I found it from a distance. It really stood out. It's a solid trawler. Everything seams big and heavy a well built boat. Stainless steal around all of the windows and doors. I liked the nonskid built into the decks. You don't see that on a lot of trawlers.

Cheers!

The one that I looked at had two heads. One in the master bed and one in the hallway. The one I plan on buying only has one because that's the way it came for a good price. Instead of the master head you get a larger closet and a desk with mirror. The desk will come in handy and so will the extra storage. At the dock the bow stands much taller than I expected. That's how I found it from a distance. It really stood out. It's a solid trawler. Everything seams big and heavy a well built boat. Stainless steal around all of the windows and doors. I liked the nonskid built into the decks. You don't see that on a lot of trawlers.

Cheers!

Sounds like a great boat and if you get a NP45 I will be very jealous. NOrth Pacific, like most builders, keep improving their boats with each iteration.

As a potential trawler owner, it looks very nice. Not that it matters, but here are the things that I see as pros and cons.

Pros:
- Great pilothouse, not sure if the bench seat converts to a bunk. If not, it should.
- No exterior wood!
- Nice cabin layout
- Hardtop over flybridge
- seems to have good systems access.
- covered cockpit

Cons:
-flybridge (maybe my inexperience, but with a good pilothouse why have a flybridge in the PNW?)
- No side decks, to get from the bow to cockpit you have to go through the pilothouse->salon or flybridge to cockpit.
- single head

Now, my wife would think that the single head is a negative, I would think of it as a positive because that is only one head to clean, maintain, and repair. That is kind of my feeling about a flybridge. A lot more to clean, maintain, and repair.

All in all the vid looks good. I like the forward raked windows because it will help cut down on reflections from the sun and at night. Even with the negatives, I would love to own it.

Of course, that is all academic because I am not in the income demographic for whome they are building those boats. The used NP 43 are way out of my price range. Maybe in 5-10 years.

I agree.
No wood [emoji106]
No fly bridge[emoji106]
One head to maintain[emoji106]

Blast from the past

Old thread and I was surprised to see this 21 month old post quoted. I had forgotten I had written it. Since I have owned a used NP43 now for just over a year, I thought I would review what my uninformed impressions were. The initial discussion was about the then new NP45 but is very similar to the older NP43.

In Sept 2015 I wrote:

As a potential trawler owner, it looks very nice. Not that it matters, but here are the things that I see as pros and cons.

Pros:
- Great pilothouse, not sure if the bench seat converts to a bunk. If not, it should.
- No exterior wood!
- Nice cabin layout
- Hardtop over flybridge
- seems to have good systems access.
- covered cockpit

I nailed these. All of this has been true for my NP43. The bench seat in the PH doesn't convert to a bunk, however my 6'4", 210lbs son really enjoyed sleeping in the PH on that bench for a week last summer.

The master cabin on the NP43 is nice. We have been very happy with it. The NP45 is even nicer. Amazing what you can do with just a tad bit more space.

The NP43 version I have has stacked single bunks in the guest cabin. Both upper and lower bunks are very comfortable to sleep in. The other option for that cabin was a double bunk. That would be a more comfortable cabin layout for some guests. The lower bunk doesn't have quite enough head room to sit on comfortably. A double bed would have made that cabin a nice place to relax, read, etc.... for someone that wanted to get away from the rest of the crew. The NP45 has several options for that guest cabin and I thing the one I would chose would be the layout with two single bunks that are crossed. It seems to offer the best of both worlds for our use.

Our boat has a canvas top over the flybridge. The NP45's hard top would definitely be nice for our purposes. However, our canvas top is relatively easy to collapse and has a boot to cover it in the winter months.

Access to various systems has been good. No stand-up ER but even being tall, fat, creaky back and knees, I haven't had any issue with servicing anything I need to. The batteries are located in a space that makes putting wet cells there a bit more of a challenge without a watering system. The NP45 comes with AGM batteries however.

The covered cockpit is fantastic. I would never own a boat in the PNW that didn't have one. Personally, I don't see why anyone here owns an aft cabin boat. I also don't understand why Nordic Tugs only used a partial cockpit overhang on their models and no covered cockpit on their 34'. American Tug models are better in this regard but the full covered cockpit on the North Pacific is perfect.

Cons:
- No side decks, to get from the bow to cockpit you have to go through the pilothouse->salon or flybridge to cockpit.
- single head

Now, my wife would think that the single head is a negative, I would think of it as a positive because that is only one head to clean, maintain, and repair. That is kind of my feeling about a flybridge. A lot more to clean, maintain, and repair.

Single head has not been an issue at all. We have two heads on our sailboat and have not missed that second head. However, we have never had the head fail. I'm sure if that ever happens, I will wish we had a second head. The NP45 has that option from what I understand.

I rarely use the flybridge. However it is very nice on occasion. I would be just as happy with my NP43 if it didn't have a flybridge.

Not having full side decks has not been an issue. Back in 2015, with my only experience being on sailboats, this was a very hard for me to get my head around. Sure, there have been a couple times when it would have been nice, but ALL of the time the extra interior space by having the full width saloon is incredibly nice. I can easily single-hand the NP43. I will say that my boat does have both bow AND stern thrusters. The NP45 comes with a bow thruster as standard, and I would encourage anyone to go ahead and get the stern thruster as well. It would be worth the expense in the long run.

All in all the vid looks good. I like the forward raked windows because it will help cut down on reflections from the sun and at night. Even with the negatives, I would love to own it.

The reversed raked windows would definitely be nice. The NP45 redesigned PH is a real improvement over the already great PH in the NP43.

Of course, that is all academic because I am not in the income demographic for whome they are building those boats. The used NP 43 are way out of my price range. Maybe in 5-10 years.

Turns out the used NP43s were not out of my price range last year. Yes, I had to borrow money to purchase it. No, I have not sold my sailboat yet. Yes, that terrifies me. No, I didn't win the lottery.

I am convinced that the North Pacific 43 is one of the best values out there in the used market for a SD PH boat in this size range. New, I think the NP 45 is a bargain as well. No, I will never be able to afford a new boat of any type.

Dave,

I enjoyed your second "Review". I'm glad that the NP43 has turned out to be a great boat for you. I'm not in the salary demographic to buy a NP45 either but I did. I now have a huge loan but you only live once and having a boat and just being in the marina soothes my soul. No city sounds, no crowds, no horns or stop lights, no bosses - you get the idea. My previous boat was a Carver C34. I loved that boat but it's just a bay boat and it was time for me to get out on the ocean, after cruising the San Francisco bay and delta for over 40 years. The thing that was surprising was the wood and the fit and finish. The Carver C34 was very nice for the price but the interior was RV materials. Not one piece of real wood finish. The NP45 I found myself running my hands over the wood - everywhere! Beautiful teak cabinets and flooring. To be fair, the Carvers are made in the USA and the North Pacific's are made in China. The difference in labor costs are incomparable. I don't know how the U.S. boat MFG's can compete.

Cons: I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the Norcold 9 ft3 refrigerator. It's about $2000 but it feels like $200. It looks good with the teak paneling but it feels (IS) cheap inside. The helm chair is a $3000 Springfield Mariner but the vinyl makes it looks kind of cheap. The toilet doesn't allow flow control. It uses too much water. Only 400 gal fuel. I'd like a bit more beam, 13' for a 45' boat is a bit skinny IMHO. It doesn't feel skinny at all. As a matter of fact it is quite roomy inside.

Pros: Everything else is top shelf. The hardtop is sturdy and beautiful. The stainless steal around the windows and port lights (I think they'er called) are good looking and weather resistant. The built in large swim-step; the Flexiteak in the cockpit and swim-step is standard, the 355 hp Cumins and 11kw Northern Lights systems are great; large lazaret; smooth and high gloss fiber glass; tile in the shower; granite counters; 7 coats of lacquer on the cabinets et al, gorgeously smooth and glossy teak and holy floors everywhere; the master stateroom is by far the nicest that I have seen on any trawler. The Selene 45 comes close. The toilet is top of the line and same with all of the other systems. Huge sink; nice faucets; clothes washer/dryer combo with space for laundry basket and more; storage everywhere; bow and stern thrusters are standard; Hinged breaker panels, I've never seen such clean and well marked wiring behind the breaker panels, which were also behind plexiglass doors! Access panels to wiring etc. everywhere! Attention to detail is extreme; Shore power at the swim-step and bow. I like the analog gauges for the tank levels etc.; bench seat behind the helm pulls out to make a bunk; the nonskid is fiberglass not tape and is very clean; one of the cleanest solons, more room and better organized than most 50' trawlers. The water tanks are right next to the fuel tanks which would allow for conversion to fuel. Enough room to add a water maker and 40 gal water tank if main water tanks were converted to fuel. I may find this idea unnecessary. Enough electronics were included to use as is. The most comforting thing is dealing with the owner Trevor Brice. He is very helpful and I feel as though he will provide good service after the sale.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope to see you around sometime Dave.

Cheers!

Attachments

• My NP45.jpg
    My NP45.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 83
More fuel might be nice, but we made it from Ketchikan to Blaine Wa, without adding fuel. That is in a 42, with a 330 Cummins. I don’t think I can squeeze 400 gal into my tanks either, maybe 380. We had about 70 gal remaining when we topped up.

More fuel might be nice, but we made it from Ketchikan to Blaine Wa, without adding fuel. That is in a 42, with a 330 Cummins. I don’t think I can squeeze 400 gal into my tanks either, maybe 380. We had about 70 gal remaining when we topped up.

I know I'm being lazy but how far is it from Ketchikan to Blain?

Around 550nm. Just a lazy estimate, but it is close.

Right around 7kts. The exposed water portions, Ketchikan-
Prince Rupert, 80+nm and Cape Caution, 80 nm day all run at rpm to make 8kts. Johnstone St run at 8 also. If you are going to be routinely running the west coast, more capacity would be good, but smaller bladders are available. The world traveling Dirona, uses a bladder on their longer passages, and folds it and stores it when not needed. Check out their blog.

I saw these guys on Youtube. They had bladders everywhere. When they were leaving port she was riding so low that it looked like they would take on water in 2-3' chop. It was hilarious! I guess it didn't compromise the Dirona's stability but it looked kind of scary to me. I especially liked the storm plates that they covered the windows with. It was some sort of thick Plexiglas that he screwed on. Not that I will ever need such mods with a semi displacement hull. Coastal cruising is what I bought this boat for.

In the NP45 the water tanks are right next to the fuel tanks. One on each side of the boat. Converting would give her another 375 gal of fuel for a total of 775 gal. I very roughly figure an easy 1000 miles at 8 kts. I won't gain anything by doing that unless I plan on running 24 hours a day.

I need to live with it for a while before making any serious mods.

I have been a bit out of the loop. Have you taken delivery yet or are you still waiting?

I think you may find that you won’t need additional fuel, but as you say it would be easy to convert a water tank to fuel. On my boat, I would think the starboard water tank would be the choice as the port tank is on the same side as the water pump.

I saw these guys on Youtube. They had bladders everywhere. When they were leaving port she was riding so low that it looked like they would take on water in 2-3' chop. It was hilarious! I guess it didn't compromise the Dirona's stability but it looked kind of scary to me. I especially liked the storm plates that they covered the windows with. It was some sort of thick Plexiglas that he screwed on. Not that I will ever need such mods with a semi displacement hull. Coastal cruising is what I bought this boat for.

In the NP45 the water tanks are right next to the fuel tanks. One on each side of the boat. Converting would give her another 375 gal of fuel for a total of 775 gal. I very roughly figure an easy 1000 miles at 8 kts. I won't gain anything by doing that unless I plan on running 24 hours a day.

I need to live with it for a while before making any serious mods.

I bought an ATL fuel bladder awhile back, but never used it. Still sitting in my garage. The tie down kids can make them fairly secure, but I would think you could just put them in your aft cockpit and they would stay put.

The MV Dirona couple that were previously referenced are really going after it . I was reading his blog last night, and the ocean crossings he has taken on. Impressive couple.

Dirt. Passed by your boat today, peeked in windows. Looks like Xmas in there, lots of boxes waiting to be opened, looks like a fun headache. Good luck.

Dirt. Passed by your boat today, peeked in windows. Looks like Xmas in there, lots of boxes waiting to be opened, looks like a fun headache. Good luck.

Rebel,

I'm not really happy to here that. It looked that way a month ago and it's supposed to be finished by the end of November. Well, I guess I keep sending him boxes so I shouldn't complain. It's hard living in CA and having the boat in WA.

What slip are you in?

Rogue, moored N of you about 15 miles. Just, happened to be on dock. Let me know when you get up this way. I might spring for lunch!

Rogue, moored N of you about 15 miles. Just, happened to be on dock. Let me know when you get up this way. I might spring for lunch!

Reb,

Moored 15mi N of me? Is it at a marina that has moorings or are you just passing by? How did you find me? I was at the boat for the first time a few weeks ago and Trevor had to show me where it was.

I'll take you up on that lunch!

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom