Possum Project Starts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I've decided to do some work on Possum. The first step was to remove her engine. My engine guy, Bill Mitchel, got it out of the hole and sitting in the cockpit. He did it without help! That's a 1300 pound Cummins.

Today Byrd Commercial Diving brought their truck crane over to my store and lifted the engine out of my boat, over the Pond Apple Tree and set it in my parking lot. It took all of ten minutes for them to do it.

Things go much easier with the help of real professionals.

Time to order parts.

Attachments

• possum engine 9-11-5.jpg
    possum engine 9-11-5.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 146
Sweet! What's the scope of the work??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The engine actually runs good but it's got a lot of rust and I want to change out the coolant pump before it leaks, replace all the hoses, and give it a good going over.

With the engine out I want to redo my bilge pump wiring to make them easier to change. In fact I want to redo a lot of the wiring with the engine out of the way.

What's the name of the company that sells the good aftermarket pumps for Cummins? They also make a nice replacement instrument panel that I want to get.

Oliver, it was a long reach and that's the crane they had.

CP, I'm going to need to sell Forklift a lot more showers to pay for this project. He can't afford anymore showers, he's spending all his money on food for his squirrel.

More Pictures!!!!

Ok
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441197158.719087.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441197216.739197.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Dang Fork, that musta been one heck of a shower valve you bought from Parks! :eek:
I bought one of those expensive arse Euro shower mixer from him also . Nice to see our hard earned money going to some good use .:hide: Keep us posted Hopcar . Looks like a project a bunch of us would like to do .

Thanks Dimer, that's the place.
Steve, the squirrel is getting fatter than my mango fed yard squirrels.
The next step for me is to pressure wash and vacuum the bilge. I already see a big nut in the bilge and Bill said he found a socket when he lifted the engine. I wonder what else is down there.

I pulled my sea strainer out today. I had to use a Dremmel tool to cut the hoses off. I'm thinking of using this type of fitting when I replace the hoses.
Cam Lever Couplings - Banjo
I hate fighting with hoses.

As in both hoses going to strainer can be quickly disconnected and the whole strainer could be removed for servicing/ cooling?? That's... Cool!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I pulled my sea strainer out today. I had to use a Dremmel tool to cut the hoses off. I'm thinking of using this type of fitting when I replace the hoses.

Parks I love banjo fittings and you just gave me an idea thanks

What kind of strainer do you have that requires removing the hoses to clean it? Not sure I would want to add a bunch of plastic fittings to the raw water system below the water line, more failure points.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. HC. I concur with Mr. OC. Plastic below the water line would give me the heeby jeebies. IF you have room to install and subsequently swing a wrench to connect, I would use one of these of the appropriate size in bronze or SS.
copper-pipe-fitting-union.jpg

Geez, Parks! If I had known you were having all this work done, I would have bought the cleat fender washers from you, too! It's nice to have friends with skills and heavy equipment!

Are you repainting the ER hull, too? LED ER lighting? New water lines and electrical harnesses? I've got a feeling that if I ever tried what you're doing, I wouldn't know where to draw the line with improvements that are now available to do with the engine out of the way.

I, too, would rethink any plastic quick-release connection below the water line.

Hi Al, I don't really have an engine room. I have a low engine box under the shelter with big hatches on either side. I'll post a picture when I think of it.
I pressure washed where the engine normally is and my guy, Bill, vacuumed it today. Bill also fabricated a bilge pump mount that will make it easier to work on. I kinda wanted to do that myself but I can't complain. If it was left up to me, this project would take two years!

Bill found water in my transmission. Probably means I need a new oil cooler. He pressure tested my heat exchanger and it is ok except the inlet hose barb was damaged. I think I'll take it up to Sendure and let them fix it.

I was thinking about not replacing my internal sea strainer. About two years ago I installed a fine screen external strainer. In the time since, my internal strainer has stayed completely clean. It used to get packed with sea grass. This time when I pulled the basket, I found about a dozen pea sized oysters in it. If the internal strainer wasn't there, they would have destroyed my impeller. They must have grown inside the thru-hull and broken loose. They could not have gotten through the external strainer. The external strainer is a Groco APHS one size bigger than I need.

Forkie, bleach that squirrel and rent it out this Halloween as a Trump wig. You're sitting on a gold mine!!

trstdly: trusted news in simple english

Al- you just never know when a great opportunity might come along (thanks Govenor) and by gosh here it is!
Available: One trained Squirrel for Trump Halloween Costume!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I went to the local Cummins dealer today and picked up $700 worth of parts for my engine. Then I drove up to Sen Dure in Lauderdale and left my heat exchanger and oil cooler. They're going to make me new ones.

Did I mention my mechanic found water in the gear? We figure the oil cooler was leaking. The gear was working fine so with a new oil cooler and oil it should be fine.

How many cans of spray paint does it take to paint a six cylinder cummins?

I went to the local Cummins dealer today and picked up $700 worth of parts for my engine. Then I drove up to Sen Dure in Lauderdale and left my heat exchanger and oil cooler. They're going to make me new ones.

Did I mention my mechanic found water in the gear? We figure the oil cooler was leaking. The gear was working fine so with a new oil cooler and oil it should be fine.

How many cans of spray paint does it take to paint a six cylinder cummins?

If it's out, have it properly masked, sand blasted to bare metal, remasked and automotive style spray painted, several coates. Quality paint work lasts a lot longer and makes removing bolts that the heads haven't rusted away, much easier to remove.

Ted

"How many cans of spray paint does it take to paint a six cylinder cummins? "

Normally 1 can for every 8 hours preparation :)

DITTO
What r u thinking!!!!
The forum will accept no less than:

* Before pics (required now)
* Proper surface preparation
* Thoroughly cleaned
* Remove/tape over/ or wrap in aluminum foil (as was earlier mentioned) and blow off everything in prep for paint.
* Prime with your preferred liquid. I prefer Yellow Zinc Chromate I get from a local paint production facility we have a service contract with. As Phil/Fill always says- this is the most important part.
* OEM paint- the real stuff. Two quarts should be plenty with a great primer already applied. Once you check, industrial paint probably costs a lot less than having it mixed at Carquest. And it probably won't be a three part paint. Pour and spray. What could be simpler? And it was good enough when new, and it will be good enough for now ;).
* After pictures. Crucial to prove that the scope of the work was performed to the exacting standards of TF (screw ABYC)!

Now, some folks man not have access to a $1500 compressor/ $400 spray gun and a $500 air dryer in line to eliminate all air contaminates. So for these I propose:

* The little 3 gallon oil lube compressor. Just like the big boys use only in small $100 form.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442406240.917423.jpg
Lose the cheezie spiral hose and pick up a 25' rubber hose ($25) and add quality matching quick connects on the end. Type S I think. It has a built in regulator. HVLP needs to be set about 20-25 psi.
* Order a $50 HVLP touch up gun from Carquest. My old cheap finish hut but the crapper a few months ago. New one in at lunch today. I'll post a pic.
* A gun filter the screws on the gun. I'll buy one and post a pic as well. $7

There. You're in the painting business! $187 ;)

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

RT - that elephant never ceases to amaze me.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread content.

Can't I just get drunk and spray a bunch of paint at the engine? That's how I usually paint.

I would like to sand blast it. One of those little spray gun blasters would work but even they need a lot of air to work continuously. I've got about a two hp compressor in the store that we use to inflate fenders. If I ran the hose out the back door, I bet I could reach the engine with fifty feet of hose. Might work.

Boy there are a lot of holes for sand to get into on an engine.

Forky, what do you use to dry the air? That's always my down fall when trying to spray paint. I bet moisture will screw up sand blasting as well.

Back
Top Bottom