Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do that and ye may become an extinct species:flowers:....or incarcerated

Had a friend once that got his pix into the sports page of his giant snow goose limit. He was so proud till the warden knocked on his door and fined him $5,000 x 2 = $10,000 for killing two trumpeter swans of whitch there were only a couple of doxen left in the pacific flyway. Think that was like 1975

We all had a good laugh at his expense

Hahaha whoops. That's a pricey lesson. Almost as costly a lesson as boat building haha

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Had a bit on this week. My timbers arrived on Monday. I ordered 2@300x65x6.0 and 1@200x65x3.0. Got the Stbd cap rail on. Glued, glassed and filleted and skim coated in sanding filler. I've made them nice and wide tapering from 200mm at the stern to 280 fwd. I think once they are all on the width will look great. I've also Been chipping away at the sanding and recoating of the fairing filler. 5 days of sunshine so the tarps are up and I'll make the most of my time after work.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327277.412804.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327294.947035.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327314.568620.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327334.583590.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327359.216241.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327398.319258.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327416.770729.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442327460.424415.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Matt looking great

Rick that is MD 20-20 in a plastic bottle

Does it matter when the windows go in? Is it better adhesive adherence to do it once it's painted or doesn't it matter?

Matt, cap rails look real good! Definitely want to dry fit the windows before painting, then paint, and install the windows and hardware over the finished surface. The actual masking and painting is much easier. If you have a paint problem, it's much easier to sand around the window hole than carefully up to the window itself.

Ted

Matt, cap rails look real good! Definitely want to dry fit the windows before painting, then paint, and install the windows and hardware over the finished surface. The actual masking and painting is much easier. If you have a paint problem, it's much easier to sand around the window hole than carefully up to the window itself.

Ted

Thanks mate. Will do.

Matt, this whole thing has been fascinating. To see you building a complex boat totally from your mental picture while working out problems on the fly is just awesome. No set plans and starting from bare bones would overwhelm all but a very few. Your confidence and perseverance are inspiring.

Matt, this whole thing has been fascinating. To see you building a complex boat totally from your mental picture while working out problems on the fly is just awesome. No set plans and starting from bare bones would overwhelm all but a very few. Your confidence and perseverance are inspiring.

:thumb::thumb: Ditto!!! :thumb::thumb:

Thanks mate. Hope this thread serves as a what not to do for those wanting to build a boat lol

I did some more sanding then I skim coated some jotafair. Will give that a tickle with some 120grit tomorrow arvo (if it's dry enough) then it's time to move the scaff aft to finish of the roof section before breaking it down in half to work the hull section moving fwd to the bow.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442496747.309162.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442496758.020743.jpg

Did some more sanding. Screwed off the cap rail then routered it before I decided to router my thumb too. Taped it up, had a beer and skim coated the cap rail.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442565453.907774.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442565469.311201.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442565490.295668.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442565504.510798.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442565518.812091.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442565532.913241.jpg

One must always appease the boat building gods with blood! :eek:

Nice recovery though. Beer makes everything better! Essential in every First Aid kit! As long as the digits are still attached everything's good to go!

Carry on! :thumb:

Matt - Thumbs-Up is a high sign to give humans... not routers - silly!

Real glad it was just a nasty dig. Hydrogen Peroxide morning and night with continued good wrap is my way/suggestion. :thumb:

OUCH! A little blood sacrifice goes a long way.... be careful out there. The build is looking good mate!

One must always appease the boat building gods with blood! :eek:

Nice recovery though. Beer makes everything better! Essential in every First Aid kit! As long as the digits are still attached everything's good to go!

Carry on! :thumb:

Yup, it takes more bleeding than that too build a boat. Matt, wait till you get a little older and your skin gets thin. You'll be working on something in the engine room and see blood. Not only will you not know where you're bleeding, you won't have a clue how or when you did it. :blush:

Ted

Yup, it takes more bleeding than that too build a boat. Matt, wait till you get a little older and your skin gets thin. You'll be working on something in the engine room and see blood. Not only will you not know where you're bleeding, you won't have a clue how or when you did it. :blush:

Ted

Now - Stop that Ted! Don't ruin elusions of the young. - LOL

Remember when you were a kid and felt you could take a bullet without too much ill effect?? I even believed (when really young) if I tried hard enough I could somehow, just maybe breath under water like the fish I swam with... that's called young and dumb... at least I had good enough reasoning at 5/6 yrs old to never try that silly one!

In your post: You are intimating that these three 1/2" to 1" yesterday blood dripping scrapes on my left upper fore arm are some sort of secret abrasions that suddenly appeared from whence I know not where. Well - I must admit, you are nearly correct! In that, I know what did it (because I eventually found blood on it), I just don't know how or exactly when - lol. Dripping blood on my wrist watch lens was the initial tell tale sign when checking the time - :whistling:

She looking great! I'm enjoying watching the voyage.

Back
Top Bottom