Bilge pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 36 albin 1983.... The bildge pump will not turn off ... I have it on auto and it usually comes on every three minutes then turns off if no water is detected... I have cleaned the pump and strainer .... Any ideas ??? Maybe a new pump is in order ... Thank you for your help

Sounds like you may have one of those all in one "automatic" pumps. If so my personal opinion is to get rid of it and buy a separate pump and a good switch.

Those flapper-free pumps have an electronic eye that sends a signal when it registers water. If it gets dirty it does one of two things. Stays on because it thinks the grease/dirt is water, or doesn't come on because it doesn't register water You probably need to disconnect it and give it a thorough soapy wash.

If it's a Rule automatic bilge pump it measures impeller resistance to determine whether to keep running or not after it automatically checks for water.

Damn it Bill, how do you beat me to it every time!:D
Bill is right, if the pump turns on every couple of minutes, it's a Rule and it measures how much power it takes to turn the impeller. When the impeller turns freely, the pump turns off. Try cleaning it. If that doesn't work, give Rule a call and ask for their suggestions.

Not all Rule pumps use this method to sense water. Some use float switches and some use field effect to sense water. I have no idea what field effect is but I think it involves a flux gate capacitor .

The new Rule low profile pump actually gives you the choice of field effect or the turn on every couple of minutes method.

I only beat you because I have less of a life than you.

Just kidding. :D

"New digital technology uses the patented Mirus™ field effect detector cells producing micro-electrical fields that detect disruptions caused by water and fluids."

"New digital technology uses the patented Mirus™ field effect detector cells producing micro-electrical fields that detect disruptions caused by water and fluids."[/QUOTE]

Damn, everybody knows that. :D

Still sounds like a Flux Gate Capacitor to me. The interesting thing about the field effect is that it knows the difference between oil and water. It won't turn the pump on for oil.

"New digital technology uses the patented Mirus™ field effect detector cells producing micro-electrical fields that detect disruptions caused by water and fluids."

Right up there with the "Crome Denopilizer Valve" the "Stainless Steel Muffler Bearings"and the "Skyhook".

I prefer my rather simple fluxgate capacitors made by ULTRA and my spinning rotating thingy majiggy made by whale. That's been my setup in multiple boats without faults, rules on the other hand I have not had luck with.

Did the smoke come out of it, all the electric stuff runs on smoke, if the smoke leaks out then it won/t work.

I understand now you can get smoke refill kits for Lucas electrical components.
Smoke used to leak out of my old MGB all the time. Replacement smoke would have been a lot cheaper.

I understand now you can get smoke refill kits for Lucas electrical components.
Smoke used to leak out of my old MGB all the time. Replacement smoke would have been a lot cheaper.

That was the British equivalent of the "low oil" alarm!
Replacement smoke was pretty cheap when MG's were trendy.

I agree with Hop Car about it being the Flux Capacitor but you will have to go back to 1984 to get a new one.

Other than that check your Long Wait and see if that is the problem, might also be the Hen Weigh or the Piecost.

Apart from those I am no help.

Regards.

David.

I only beat you because I have less of a life than you.

Just kidding. :D

Dammit Bill you beat me to it. Course my definition would have used a flux capacitor!!
I'm still a Water Witch fan though. Parks- are you a distributor??

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hi Steve, yes I sell Water Witch switches. In fact I'm going to try one on one of my pumps.

. . . the pump turns on every couple of minutes, it's a Rule and it measures how much power it takes to turn the impeller. When the impeller turns freely, the pump turns off.

Sounds like poor engineering: pump runs to determine if pump needs to run. I would dump it and replace with a conventional pump controlled by an Ultra Pumpswitch.

do yourself a favor and buy something other than rule pumps and switches. Otherwise you would be replacing them regularly

Back
Top Bottom