Mainship pilot 30 fuel tank issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyLuna

Vessel Name
Fawkes
Vessel Make
2006 pilot 30
My situation is that fuel will not cross over from starboard tank to port. Both valves are open at each tank. Anyone run into this before?
Thanks.
Jim

Got the same problem with my Nova. I'm thinkin' the transfer hose is full of solidified diesel fuel. Gonna live with it.

That's a possibility. Be the least messy thing to check. Shut off each tank valve and pull the hose out.

My first question would be have you disconnected the hose? How do you know that the fuel is not seeking it's own level in each tank?

The valves and cross over hose are easy to get to and if you use a couple of absorbent pads removing the line should be pretty easy. Secure the valves first. Disconnect both ends of the hose. Once disconnected put a pad with a rubber ban on one end and use air to blow through the line to see if you have an obstruction. Depending on the age of the hose replacing it would be prudent. As for an obstruction at the valves you could open each valve and have a small container to catch excess fuel coming out to make sure you don’t have sludge at the bottom of the tank.

Follow up to fuel issue. Fuel flows out of both port and starboard supplies going to fuel filter, The hose is not clogged from starboard tank to filter. ????
Verified some things. Fuel return line goes to Port tank, Starboard tank has a vent line connected to aft fitting and out to vent fitting on the hull. Port tank has no vent line connected and fitting is plugged.
I wonder if all pilots have no vent on the Port tank and since there is not one that is the reason for fuel not leveling off from the starboard tank? I did notice when I remove deck fill on Port a slight "puff" of air is noted. Perhaps the return line slightly pressurizes the tank keeping the fuel from self leveling?
Quite perplexing.
Thanks in advance if anyone has some thoughts or at least verify if there port tanks are vented.
Jim

Additional follow up.
I left the filler cap loose overnight on port tank and as I expected fuel flowed from full starboard tank to port. Anyone have any thought as to why mainship would not have vented the tank that gets fuel return?
Jim

United States Code of Federal Regulations Title 33
Sub Part J, 183.520
(a). Each fuel tank must have a vent system that prevents pressure in the tank from exceeding 80% of the pressure marked on the tank label under section 183.514 (b) (5)

ABYC Diesel Fuel Systems Standard H-33 requires that each tank must be vented and that fuel must be returned to the tank from which it is drawn.

Additional follow up.
I left the filler cap loose overnight on port tank and as I expected fuel flowed from full starboard tank to port. Anyone have any thought as to why mainship would not have vented the tank that gets fuel return?
Jim

Jim,

I am in the market for a Pilot 30 II and have been studying the systems for a couple of months. According to the owner's manual for the 2003 model year, there are fillers and vents on both port and starboard tanks. Interestingly, the main engine fuel supply and return are plumbed to the port tank only. It seems to be the 'master' tank in the system with a crossover hose and valves to equalize the levels in the tanks. I suspect the port tank also contains the fuel level sensor.

This appears to be the way Mainship designed them, and it seems to work for most.

I would personally prefer a proper 6-way fuel selector valve to control the supply and return, but that's just me.

Attachments

• P30II Fuel System.JPG
    P30II Fuel System.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 309
Back
Top Bottom