Preparing to Cross the North Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Its 22:00, I’m tired and my back hurts.

I’ve spent much to the day preparing Dauntless to cross the North Sea in the next week. Now you would think that there isn’t that much to do.

When you consider that in the last 14 months, we have travelled over 8,000 nm and virtually all of those miles have been on the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea and the Baltic Sea, one wonders why I am having such angst about the North Sea.

I’ve been pondering the same question for the last week.
Finally I realized there are two issues:

1. The North Sea is ferocious. Yes, I should have crossed two weeks sooner, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. There is nothing I can do about that now.

2. So, let’s tackle what I can control. It is the small things rolling around the boat that upset me, as I always imagine something far worse than the reality. I do have a very vivid imagination.

Coming to Mandal a few days ago, there was an exposed stretch of only 6 miles, but it was like riding a bucking bronco. I did not have the paravanes out, and we rolled a few times to 30°.

I’m secure in the pilot house, but it is the noise of loose things crashing that drive me crazy. And then when things settle down and I go to see what the damage is, expecting to see the refrigerator on the floor, all the contents broken and now mixing into a weird kaleidoscope of colors, dripping down the hatches into the engine room.

Instead, I find the wooden business card holder and the old cards it was holding rolling around and making a racket that would wake the dead.

Everything else is sitting there sedately, wondering what the excitement is all about. And this is not the first time that stupid card holder has done this to me.

So I realized that if I don’t want to have a heart attack in the coming days, I better make sure everything is put away. It’ll take two days to cross the North Sea. I am hoping for at least one good day, but I assume the second day will be bad.

So everything must be put away. Even the stuff that has never moved. By doing so, this is the only way I will have the peace of mind to be willing to tackle the North Sea. And I mean everything. All the stuff that has been fine over these last 8k miles is now put away or secured.

The transformer that is sitting on top of the battery box is now secured to the wall. It had never moved before, but why risk it.

The crap that has collected on the helm. The 4,000 pens and pencils, the markers, the rulers, sun glasses that I have not used in three years, all put away.

The 8 different chargers and cables, all put away.

Virtually everting that can cause a problem is secured. That way, next week as I roll my way west, I’ll be miserable, but at least I won’t be worried.:whistling:

Can you take a longer route and stay somewhat coastal? Not sure where you are and where you are going.

I'm like you. Things crashing around cause me mucho stress.

Good luck on the trip. Take some video for us!

Hey Richard I just checked the fcast again, weds looks good wind and wave wise. Saturday Sunday winds backing but waves may be veering as you make your way west. Probably won't be in phase for much of your trip."Jost sail de bot mahn."

Via iPhone.

Hi Richard, can you show us you plan on a map?

Is this a solo crossing?

Just reading this thread makes me nervous. Good luck!

Thks guys.
Yes. I'll make another picture of the route.

Looking at Windfinder just now. It looks like Sunday and Monday are the days.

It's 250nm from Eggsund to Petershead.

I'd have the seas following on Monday.

I'm not thrilled with the tight wx window, but I won't complain if the seas build faster.

Today's trip will take me 50nm closer.

I'll also plan on using 1800 rpm versus my normal 1600, even though fuel is $6/gal here.

Yes. Solo.
All my friends must work.

Yes. Solo.
All my friends must work.

All except for good old Otto...

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442368146.737401.jpg

Hot I'd the press.
I made it, at least the first leg.

Wasn't really difficult.
My imagination was making it far worse.

Here are some videos, but I have limited Wi-Fi yet again.

Am planning on leaving Norway Sunday noon, arriving entrance New Caledonian canal by Tuesday night.

Dauntless in Egersund

ForumRunner_20150917_135849.jpg

Waiting for the fuel dock
ForumRunner_20150917_135916.jpg

Water
ForumRunner_20150917_140120.jpg

I'm not sure why I see no option to upload videos?

Yes when you round Lindesnes, the seas can be a tad unfriendly. At least you past that part. That was some of the worst seas I saw in Norway.

If the weather window doesn't improve, you might go a little further up the West coast of Norway. Some of the Fjords are spectacular. Notably, Lysefjord Fjord, and Preikestolen not 100 miles from where you are now. I know Norway is ridiculously expensive, and the lure of a nice affordable Scottish pint and a Haggis is strong, but the Preikestolen is an incredible natural wonder!

Last edited:
I'm saving Norway for May into July next year.

I'm leaving Saturday noon, hoping to get to Inverness Monday late afternoon.

I'll have to post video to blog since TF is not giving me a video option.

Be safe Richard and have a great crossing!

Richard looks like you can modify your v course to more of a smile as the waves veer on Sunday.

Via iPhone.

So glad to hear you will go back to Norway. I think you'll really enjoy it and the people.

From Richard 1:45 pm EST:

Yesterday was brutal. I left knowing it wasn't going to be good BUT it was crap. Luckily by mid morning today, the winds finally started to die down.

Just before dark yesterday, the waves had built to 10 to 15' so I was forced to go SSW, when I really wanted to go west. Today just a 3 -5 swell in light winds

Safe Travels my friend

Richards route after landfall:

"Inverness, Caledonian Canal, W.Coast Scotland, Belfast, Dublin, Waterford"

I totally understand your "fear" at the unexplained noises of gear adrift meandering around Dauntless....but, you made the crossing, nothing broke and the good thing is, all of that potential "gear adrift" is put away and will remain so....unless you all of a sudden need the sunglasses you haven't used in 3 years, or the malevolent business card holder!
Congrats!

How cool is that? Richard is a get it done kind of guy.

Let's hope he doesn't encounter any monsters . . .

I'll have a monster beer in his honor. What a guy!

I was there as a kid, but I thought the lake was land locked. very very cool....Say hi to Nessie!!!

Back
Top Bottom