Jimmy Buffet in town today...>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Figured it was for that or an Egret flats boat, maybe both?

I was never that into his music one way or the other. But... when we lived in Dallas in the early oughts, our house (and about 20 others) abutted the estate of Tom Hicks, a big time private equity guy who among many other things owned the baseball and hockey teams at the time , as well as a small investment in the company I was running. Nice people he and his wife, Celia, Cilla, something like that, I think her name was (Ann will remember, they were friendly).

Anyway we get home from somewhere one weekend afternoon and there is this music playing loudly. Jimmy Buffett music, coming from the Hicks'. We went out to the back yard and it hit me. "Ann, that is Jimmy Buffett!" . Go back into the house, there's a message on the answering machine "Ann, come on over later, it's a surprise!"
Great afternoon. I guess JB was an investor in some HTMF funds (Hicks Tate Muse and Furst). Chatted briefly with him about boats while having, of course a.........mojito.

Jimmy Buffet in town today...>>

Wow. Cool story. I like his music (and some of his books) OK but I don't go all Parrotheady.

Would be cool to meet him and talk boats, fishing, surfing, adventuring.

Anyone care to guess the price?

Didn't Jimmy used to own a Nordhavn 62?

I've got to admit his concerts are a kick. The fans always put on a show that rivals the band....

I've got to admit his concerts are a kick. The fans always put on a show that rivals the band....

Very true, and the mix of age groups is great. Everything from grand parents to teeny boppers.

Yup, I'm like his music. Nothing beats blasting a cheese burger in paradise while ripping about in the Bahamas on my little CC.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442367050.028222.jpg

Count this teeny not so bopper in.:)

Most of the music that I listen to is from the 60s to the mid 80s. I've found it's better to not look too closely at the makers of the music. Simply, so much of this music is like a good pulled pork barbecue sandwich. If you enjoy what you're savoring, don't lift the cover.....you won't like what you see. Still enjoy Jimmy's "Songs you know by heart". Lots I can relate to there.

Ted

So being one of these odd ball 8th generation Floridians (yes 8th) although not a hard core Parrot head I really enjoy Jimmy B

and now my dirt home is almost in Florida this great little town of Thomasville Georgia population 20k

So Jimmy and David Allen Coe used to own a quail plantation here along with many other celebs

We frequently see celebs in our historic downtown

But I would rather see him at our water home maybe singing the captain and the kid

Ok, I was never a Parrothead. However, I laugh at some of the comments. Some comment on him becoming commercial. No, he was always commercial, just wasn't always successful at it. I also greatly admire him as an entertainer. Not a singer, not a song writer, not a guitarist, but more. Someone who genuinely knew his audience and knew how to connect to them. There are individuals who are able to do that from all genre's of music and each generation. It's humorous how some are those people love to make fun of. However, you go to one of their concerts and you understand, even if you don't like their music. Pink absolutely puts on the most incredible show ever. Lady Gaga communicates with her audience. I know this will get booed here, as he's been made fun of his entire incredible career, but go to a Barry Manilow concert and see the connection with his audience. He's been doing final tours and final runs now for years, but he loves doing it too much to stop.

To me it's the essence of concert performers. They give you something you can't experience just sitting at home listening to their CD. Old Vegas had this but we're too young to have had the experience of most of it. However, we did go to see Wayne Newton at the Stardust on our honeymoon. You saw something that transcended the music. His voice wasn't what it once was, but the relationship he had with the audience. They loved him and you sure got the impression he loved them as he walked the winding stage through them.

And for those who say he no longer appeals to them as he did, I think something did happen. Perhaps you got old and Jimmy Buffet has refused to. I also like the fact that he truly loves boating of all types.

And for those who say he no longer appeals to them as he did, I think something did happen. Perhaps you got old and Jimmy Buffet has refused to. I also like the fact that he truly loves boating of all types.[/QUOTE]

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

And for those who say he no longer appeals to them as he did, I think something did happen. Perhaps you got old and Jimmy Buffet has refused to. I also like the fact that he truly loves boating of all types.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:[/QUOTE]

I believe the refrain from the song is ".. I've grown older but not UP..."

Yep, fits me to a T................:D

Marty..........................

I believe the refrain from the song is ".. I've grown older but not UP..."

Yep, fits me to a T................:D

Marty..........................

Otherwise known as the "baseball song."[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm, never heard it referred to as that but I am still working on a sheltered childhood. The song is actually "Growing Older But Not Up" from the album "Coconut Telegraph". Where did it become known as "The Baseball Song"?

Marty...........................

Otherwise known as the "baseball song."

Hmmmmm, never heard it referred to as that but I am still working on a sheltered childhood. The song is actually "Growing Older But Not Up" from the album "Coconut Telegraph". Where did it become known as "The Baseball Song"?

Marty...........................[/QUOTE]

Now universally known as that by any means, just occasionally referred to in that way due to these lyrics and the baseball reference.

I rounded first never thought of the worst
As I studied the shortstop's position
Then crack went my leg like the shell of an egg
Someone call a decent physician
I'm no Pete Rose, I can't pretend
While my mind is quite flexible
These brittle bones don't bend​

Ok, I can see that. Just never heard anyone refer to it that way. Guess you could call it the Manatee song as well....:D

Marty....................

Ok, I was never a Parrothead. However, I laugh at some of the comments. Some comment on him becoming commercial. No, he was always commercial, just wasn't always successful at it. I also greatly admire him as an entertainer. Not a singer, not a song writer, not a guitarist, but more. Someone who genuinely knew his audience and knew how to connect to them. There are individuals who are able to do that from all genre's of music and each generation. It's humorous how some are those people love to make fun of. However, you go to one of their concerts and you understand, even if you don't like their music. Pink absolutely puts on the most incredible show ever. Lady Gaga communicates with her audience. I know this will get booed here, as he's been made fun of his entire incredible career, but go to a Barry Manilow concert and see the connection with his audience. He's been doing final tours and final runs now for years, but he loves doing it too much to stop.

To me it's the essence of concert performers. They give you something you can't experience just sitting at home listening to their CD. Old Vegas had this but we're too young to have had the experience of most of it. However, we did go to see Wayne Newton at the Stardust on our honeymoon. You saw something that transcended the music. His voice wasn't what it once was, but the relationship he had with the audience. They loved him and you sure got the impression he loved them as he walked the winding stage through them.

The master, with no need for big productions or a lot of gimmicks, was Sinatra. Had the uncanny knack of making you feel he was singing right to you. Lisa Minelli was pretty good at that too, and I'd put the 70's Elton John in there. Most of the great bluesmen (Albert and BB King, James Cotton, Buddy Guy, Muddy et al) had that , but I've just seen them in relatively small venues. Now that I'm thinking of it, let's throw Merle Haggard, George Jones (to whom Buffett owes a lot) and Willie Nelson in too. Maybe part of it , like Buffett, is having songs that tell a story.

People say Celine Dion pulls it off but I don't like her music and she seems so contrived and ungenuine on TV. The issue I have with a lot of the modern pop stars is the shows are all these giant overblown productions with the same stilted over-choreographed mechanical dancers and one octave range songs.

The master, with no need for big productions or a lot of gimmicks, was Sinatra. Had the uncanny knack of making you feel he was singing right to you. Lisa Minelli was pretty good at that too, and I'd put the 70's Elton John in there. Most of the great bluesmen (Albert and BB King, James Cotton, Buddy Guy, Muddy et al) had that , but I've just seen them in relatively small venues. Now that I'm thinking of it, let's throw Merle Haggard, George Jones (to whom Buffett owes a lot) and Willie Nelson in too. Maybe part of it , like Buffett, is having songs that tell a story.

People say Celine Dion pulls it off but I don't like her music and she seems so contrived and ungenuine on TV. The issue I have with a lot of the modern pop stars is the shows are all these giant overblown productions with the same stilted over-choreographed mechanical dancers and one octave range songs.

Sinatra was part of the Vegas we saw in Wayne Newton, the connection with their fans. As to Celine, I think her talent is amazing. I've been to two of her shows or concerts. I liked the simpler one that focused on her singing. However, I could have gotten the same by listening to her CD. The Vegas production was distracting and annoying I thought. I do think she's a genuine person who doesn't come across that way on stage. Rene took her as a child and made her famous and successful, but I don't think we've ever gotten to know the real Celine and I think that's probably our misfortune.

I think Gaga, Cher, and Pink pull off the huge productions well, when others don't.

Back in town the other day. Spotted at our local waterfront bar.....Looks like Boat planning is ongoing!

Jimmy Buffett makes return trip to Washington

That story sure says a lot about him, I think. He's comfortable going for lunch at a local hangout and mingling with the people there. I think also the people make him feel welcome and comfortable. We, the public, like entertainers we feel like are "one of us" just more successful. But I think those like Jimmy Buffett like being around other people. Most celebrities would have snuck in and out (well, actually would have never come to town, would have had their "people" handle the boat) and would have sent "their people" to get them lunch.

Buffet sells dreams in his songs/lifestyle...

Boats, fishing, sun, sand, airplanes, the Caribbean and of course Margarita's!

It has all the ingredients for a a recipe for to a life a lot dream to live.

Heck, I am no Parrtohead but I have bought into the dream and spend a lot of time, effort and money to live the dream

HOLLYWOOD

Buffet sells dreams in his songs/lifestyle...

Boats, fishing, sun, sand, airplanes, the Caribbean and of course Margarita's!

It has all the ingredients for a a recipe for to a life a lot dream to live.

Heck, I am no Parrtohead but I have bought into the dream and spend a lot of time, effort and money to live the dream

HOLLYWOOD
I agree 110%

Back
Top Bottom