Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A modern classic anyone?

Sterling 43

Although I've never seen one in the flesh, they strike me as a very elegant coastal cruiser, as long as you didn't opt for the exterior teak cladding on the cabin house. Haven't heard much about them recently. Are they still in business?

Art-- You asked about that big boat in my black and white photos in an earlier post. Yesterday in the yard I was told it was originally a sub chaser. I don't know what the original engines were as the boat has had new engines installed.

Old Deck,
That should be relative to what kind of foam.
Airex foam is one of the best ways of building a boat. Aluminum is about the only material that compares. Quite expensive and I suppose that's the reason most FG boats aren't built w Aiex foam.

What about the unprotected sight tube for the fuel tanks? Using vinyl tubing, no petcocks to shut them off if necessary and nothing to prevent something from falling over from hitting the tube and pulling it off the hose barb except a worm gear clamp on each end.

Won't meet ABYC for that alone.

Old Deck,
That should be relative to what kind of foam.
Airex foam is one of the best ways of building a boat. Aluminum is about the only material that compares. Quite expensive and I suppose that's the reason most FG boats aren't built w Aiex foam.

Airex is not used any more because now we have something a lot better. Core-Cell is also a linear foam but is SAN thermoplastic, Airex is PVC. Core-Cell is resistant to styrene, compatible with all resins, not heat sensitive, as strong or stronger than Airex, has far better fatigue strength, and costs less. Almost anyone building high-speed boats today will be using Core-Cell.

Cross-linked PVC foams like Divinycell and Klegecell are stiffer, and are often used in decks and houses. But they have very low impact strength(compared to Airex or Core-Cell) thus are not usually the best choice for hulls.

David Pascoe's web page has convinced me to avoid all foams. Especially below the water line.

Atlas, a 95' Northern Marine which is, I believe, a vague sister ship to the one that toppled over on launch last year.

She is quite a handsome yacht, and is sitting very nicely on her lines.

Attachments

• DSC_9730.jpg
    DSC_9730.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 114
How could a boat that tall be stable?
It must be really wide.

Canadian made

This is a friends boat it is in Sarasota

Made in Canada can not remember the brand

Crap it is from down under help

Attachments

• IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Although I've never seen one in the flesh, they strike me as a very elegant coastal cruiser, as long as you didn't opt for the exterior teak cladding on the cabin house. Haven't heard much about them recently. Are they still in business?

I've seen one in the flesh, even been aboard one at a TrawlerFest. She looks great, but I don't know how practical she's be to actually own. I think it was the one in the pic. I may have some pics stashed away. I'll post them if I can dig them up.

David Pascoe's web page has convinced me to avoid all foams. Especially below the water line.

Foam isnt the problem. Water will migrate through it, if there is an exit point. A glassed in stringer with no passage for water to the lowest point in the bilge will stop the migration.

Thanks, Craig... My head was spinnen on the upside down at 4:30 AM :facepalm: :rofl:
Art;
Any of your crowd have a 40 or 44 Tolly with gas?
I saw one with twin 454s for about half the price of diesels.
Could buy a lot of gas for 70 grand.

Greetings,
GOOD GRIEF! Interesting is not the word I'd use to describe this vessel. Although it IS interesting that her listed Previous Port on Marine Traffic is Raffles. I didn't realize that the Singapore Sling was that notorious a libation to warrant designation as a port. More of a Gin, I'd say...

Here's Ace. What a weird looking back end.

Attachments

• St. Vincent 020.jpg
    St. Vincent 020.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 291
  • St. Vincent 024.jpg
    St. Vincent 024.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 246
I didn't think those yachts(believe there are 8 total) could look any uglier but painting that one black certainly did it. I think it and the other 7 are fractionally owned or this may be a ninth in the series. Hard to believe more than one person would pony up to buy and maintain that ugly duck.

I know that lots of us here are fuddy-duddy traditionalists, but when you see these radical nautical "sculptures", do you ever wonder how it would look if you just chopped the gingerbread off of it? No disrespect to the Architect or his creative effort, ....just wonderin".

Attachments

• without gingerbread comparison.jpg
    without gingerbread comparison.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom