Electric Hailer horns- Anyone make one in Stainless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
The Viking has two, and both work fine....but both look awful...the forward one is mounted in prominent position, is plastic and has yellowed considerably. The aft one is cast aluminum and under the paint has corroded, especially at the mount bracket.

I could replace both with new white plastic ones pretty cheap but just wondering if anyone makes a classic looking conical shaped one in stainless that would look more "commercial" while functioning well for voice and fog signals ?

Strange that there are plenty of SS air horns to choose from but no voice capable SS electric horns that I can find.

"Lieutenant Uhura, open all hailing frequencies......"

Last edited:
Buy the new white plastic and then paint them with a high quality marine product to keep them looking nice and washable.

After further searching, the below PML 15 is interesting. Not stainless but the IP 67 rating is pretty serious water resistance. The mount bracket is SS but not very impressive in the rigidity department. Retail is $250.

If the darn thing was white and had a better bracket I'd order it in a heartbeat....otherwise, still looking...

Pfannenberg Loudspeakers for Public Address Systems and Industrial Warning and Alarm Systems

PMA_PML.jpg

Last edited:
I think Speco makes them for everyone, and they have some in Aluminum.

Find Product
Aluminum...yes...but none in natural anodized aluminum....all painted too dark. And almost certainly made in China. (and so are iPhones and Nordhavns...I know...but at their price point most likely not the quality of an iPhone or Nordhavn !)

Buy the new white plastic and then paint them with a high quality marine product to keep them looking nice and washable.
A reasonable idea if I was set up with Binks spray booth and some white Awlgrip (and hardener) lying around. Otherwise, too much labor and material cost.

That one is interesting in that it appears to be an exact copy of the aft one that is already in place...except mine is labeled University Sound model PA30AM, with Michigan address. Then again for all I know University Sound was getting them private labeled from China way back in 1993 such that it's not an actual "copy" but the exact same one.

Ironic that it has a heavier duty base than the $250 Euro one !

Main concern on "looks" is the forward one however and that one wouldn't do for forward.

Last edited:
My mount broke a while back when I bumped into it. It's sitting on my workbench awaiting a new mount. Let me know if you need dimensions.

My mount broke a while back when I bumped into it. It's sitting on my workbench awaiting a new mount. Let me know if you need dimensions.
It would be interesting to know if it is exactly the same base diameter and bolt hole circle. Mine uses 3 screws...seeing as measuring bolt hole diameter is difficult with 3 holes, if you can measure the radius instead....distance from center of the bracket to center of a screw hole, that would be interesting.

In other words if I don't have to drill any new holes it would be more inspiring to buy that one for the aft replacement. Thanks.

I can almost guarantee Speco is the OEM for 90% of these things. You look at one side by side with an Icom, NewMar, Standard Horizon etc etc.... They've been doing this segment for many many years.

It would be interesting to know if it is exactly the same base diameter and bolt hole circle. Mine uses 3 screws...seeing as measuring bolt hole diameter is difficult with 3 holes, if you can measure the radius instead....distance from center of the bracket to center of a screw hole, that would be interesting.

In other words if I don't have to drill any new holes it would be more inspiring to buy that one for the aft replacement. Thanks.

My mount is still attached on the boat. It's got a gear-like disc that allows the speaker bracket to be angled left or right. The bracket allows adjustments up and down and the speaker attachment allows speaker twist CW or CCW.

I'll be on the boat Thurs and can measure that hard mount and get a photo if that helps.

The speaker dimensions are 6 5/8" x 10 7/8" x 8 3/4" deep.

Clean both up, and hit them with a rattle can of auto paint.

Caladan,

Here's a pic of my mount. I haven't looked at it for about a year...looks like it needs some attention!

The dimensions are 3 1/8 in diameter with holes 2 in on center.

Attachments

• SpkrMount.jpg
    SpkrMount.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom