Got a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry is correct, find a supplier that serves commercial customers. I maintained an all chain mooring for over twenty years for our sailboat and only purchased shackles, etc from Marine Supply and Oil on Riberia St. St. Augustine. They supplied the shrimp boat fleet and the shackles had to be the best quality, bad news travels fast, and the shrimpers lives and gear required the best quality. Beware of any shackles made in China, I don't remember the name of the shackles I bought but the pins where painted orange and they would outlast the 3/8 chain I used on the mooring. The mooring and the boat rode out several tropical storms and near misses from hurricanes.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks BruceK for the tip on Ronstan.
We have a winner. Ronstan RF637 exceeds the ratings of G4 chain..
Glad they are available, not cheap but a well regarded old Aussie brand. I`m guessing there was a bloke called Ron, and a bloke called Stan who set it up.
I sent you a PM re setting up your Sarca.

Thanks BruceK for the tip on Ronstan.

We have a winner. Ronstan RF637 exceeds the ratings of G4 chain, has a jaw wide enough to fit my Sarca anchor and the pin is 3/8" so it fits easily through the 5/16" chain. I can now attach the anchor with only one shackle which is what I wanted to do. The less failure points the better.

Yes, I was kidding about about the anal thing, Ready2go, but only sorta. However, I hate to be a bit of a kill-joy here, but I sincerely hope this final shackle is not, repeat not, a bow shackle, because those were the sorts of illustrations folk were putting up, but unless Rex of Anchorright, makers of Sarca, have had a huge change of heart, this crucial shackle must not be a bow shackle for the whole Super Sarca thing to work as designed. However, Bruce knows that, so if you got the one he suggested, then you should be ok.

Oh yeah...PS...sort of...now I'm going to really p*** you off, but if I'd realised you were discussing a #7 Super Sarca, and for a 36 ft boat, I would have recommended 1/2 inch chain, or in our part of the world 10mm chain, from the get go, then getting a shackle to fit would have been much easier. I was wondering why it became such an issue..? I realise (now) you have bought the chain already, but is there any chance they might take it back and swap up after refund to 1/2 inch..? Sorry, but you didn't spell out what the anchor was. I have a 34 ft boat, with #6 Super Sarca, so I know a bit of what I speak, and I have 10mm (~ 1/2 in) chain and would not really like to have it any lighter. Just a thought. The chain is still new...right..? I hope...otherwise forget I said anything...

Last edited:
Yes, I was kidding about about the anal thing, Ready2go, but only sorta. However, I hate to be a bit of a kill-joy here, but I sincerely hope this final shackle is not, repeat not, a bow shackle, because those were the sorts of illustrations folk were putting up, but unless Rex of Anchorright, makers of Sarca, have had a huge change of heart, this crucial shackle must not be a bow shackle for the whole Super Sarca thing to work as designed. However, Bruce knows that, so if you got the one he suggested, then you should be ok.

Oh yeah...PS...sort of...now I'm going to really p*** you off, but if I'd realised you were discussing a #7 Super Sarca, and for a 36 ft boat, I would have recommended 1/2 inch chain, or in our part of the world 10mm chain, from the get go, then getting a shackle to fit would have been much easier. I was wondering why it became such an issue..? I realise (now) you have bought the chain already, but is there any chance they might take it back and swap up after refund to 1/2 inch..? Sorry, but you didn't spell out what the anchor was. I have a 34 ft boat, with #6 Super Sarca, so I know a bit of what I speak, and I have 10mm (~ 1/2 in) chain and would not really like to have it any lighter. Just a thought. The chain is still new...right..? I hope...otherwise forget I said anything...

Peter, half inch is way over kill for for a 36' boat, my 47' has 3-8's and we do just fine. Putting any amount of 1/2 in the bow of a 36' boat will most likely make it nose down in the water which is by the best when you run into weather. All IMO.

Oliver you better get back to math class. If I read this correctly the op bought 5/16ths g40 which is more than adequate for his needs and happens to be around 8mm. 10 mm is closer to 3/8ths than 1/2", which is roughly 13 mm. As stated previously just find the commercial galvanized screw pin anchor shackles with the orange pins and don't forget to mouse them with seizing wire.

Via iPhone.

Ed, I was going off the numbers Peter provided and didn't cross check his numbers, but yes 5/16 is a good size for the OP's boat. 1/2 (or if he really meant 3/8's) as peter suggested is way overkill, even for my boat.

Ed, I was going off the numbers Peter provided and didn't cross check his numbers, but yes 5/16 is a good size for the OP's boat. 1/2 (or if he really meant 3/8's) as peter suggested is way overkill, even for my boat.

I guess it depends how much you have of it. For our boating, I have 50 metres (about 170'), which is plenty, as I have never needed it all out...ever, but our anchorages are seldom over 30 feet deep, most often less, and the weight of chain means 3:1 is nearly always enough. If in doubt, I use 5:1. But it has no effect on trim, especially as most of my tankage is well aft. But yeah...I guess 5/16 is probably ok, especially if you're in deeper anchorages. And yes, my equating 10mm with 1/2'' was just a rough guess. 3/8" is nearer 10mm, for sure. So Oliver's chain is essentially what I have. Maybe I'm the one being anal, over the chain, that is..? But I still like that size, even for my boat, which is 9 tonne. :whistling:

Last edited:
Just yanking your chain Oliver. The orange pin shackles are grade b rated and have a 6:1 safety margin. Going one size up usually isn't a problem for most chains. 3/8ths are rated for 24000 lbs straight line pull.

Via iPhone.

I guess it depends how much you have of it. For our boating, I have 50 metres (about 170'), which is plenty, as I have never needed it all out...ever, but our anchorages are seldom over 30 feet deep, most often less, and the weight of chain means 3:1 is nearly always enough. If in doubt, I use 5:1.

Um. Guessing your anchor lead is 4' out of the water. And you have a 10' tidal range. With no surge you can anchor in a maximum of 20' at MLLW to have 5:1 at high tide. And that's if the last link is at the windlass and the windlass is sitting at the tip of the bow.

Worse, that 20' could limit you close to shore. At low tide you're going to have a swing diameter of 370' feet (guessing at the trig - walking in the woods at the moment) where no part of the bottom can be higher than your draft.

And if there's any surge...

I appreciate your concern, but maybe I should have been more precise. In our boating area of Moreton Bay, we mostly anchor in 2m-4m, and the tidal range is on average only 2.0-2.5m - King tide 2.9m. In fact the water depth of 7m under us in our marina is deeper than most of the waters we traverse in our part of the Southern Bay. If we were going more open coastal, I'd double what chain we have for sure.

Back
Top Bottom