Old 09-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #43
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Well...that's not really when a liferail is tested. It's when the vessel is moving in a seaway and someone is thrown against it. Tearing out is one scenario, flipping over the top is another.

That 31" on the OA 50 isn't really that high - there's an OA 52 in the next slip that has 33" rails. And the USCG minimum for an inspected vessel is 36".

I generally like my guests, but I really love my wife and grandson. My rails are (now) 1.25" and as high as I could make them. You may feel differently about your passengers - that's your prerogative as master of your vessel.

Edit: I showed this post to my wife and she said "so you made another enemy". That wasn't my intention - I just get a little snarky sometimes.
Don't worry you are not making an enemy of me. I'm actually enjoying our little exchange.

I agree, the rail could be higher.

My method of avoiding risk is not to go out on the front deck during rough weather. During nice weather we sit on the couch and relax sometimes.

So to continue here... I think and I could be wrong but I heard somewhere that the Bayliner 47 was among the most popular in terms of lumbers large motor yacht ever made with something like a thousand units sold. Again I could be wrong about that but that's another issue.

Based on the large number made, how many deaths or even injuries have been recorded over the last two or arguably three decades of service because of people fell overboard over the "unsafe" rails.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote