Canning info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosemari

Are there any that do home canning? If so how do you store them? I was told there could be a chance of salt water putting the lids and rings.

Last edited:
Back in the dat , store bought cans would get dunked in old varnish to keep the cans intact.

I have used a vacuum sealer to store parts and filters, works well.

I see the advantage of canning for long-ranging cruising (perfect for fruits and such that would normally spoil) on a large trawler/cruiser, but cans and jars can take up valuable space. I can't imagine you'd be storing cans on a boat long enough for the lids to rust. I have a smaller boat and storage is a premium, so I avoid canned foods when we go on long trips.

Last edited:
we've done a few batches of pickles - they dont usually last long enough to rust.

We've got store bought cans of beans that have been on the boat for 8 months or so - no rust.

I've heard of FFs suggestion before - just dont let it roll around and chip the varnish (or the glass!!)

Just started canning, it's pretty cool. I've only done pints, one batch of chili con carne and one batch of split pea soup w ham. I've got a bunch of beer cozies and they'll fit the pint jars for cruising. This stuff tastes so much better than store bought.

Just started canning, its pretty cool. Did one batch of chili con carne and one of split pea soup w/ ham, all in pint jars. I have a bunch of beer cozies and they'll fit the pint jars to avoid breakage, so plan on using them when I bring to the boat for cruising. This stuff is so much better tasting than store bought cans.

Sorry about the double post, it looked like it disappeared when I hit send.

We can almost everything in the garden including a fairly well received strawberry banana jam. Never gave any thought to special handling aboard.

Hello Rosemari.

I've been canning for the boat for several years. I can meats like ham, turkey, chicken, barbecued chicken, pork, jerk pork, bbq pork, sausage, meatballs, etc.

Also, stuffed green peppers (with sausage filling) and lasagna and taco soup...

It's fun. :)

For me I use either the 1/2 cup jelly jars or 1 cup wide mouthed jars. Walmart now sells square 1 cup jars with the standard mouth. I like that they are square.

If you're not sure about storage, I would suggest you save socks. Cut off the toes and slide the jars in. Ditto the ankle part. Throw away the heels. Knee socks yield three "cozies" and are cheap -- thrift stores will sometimes give you bunches if you ask them.

For canning instructions, I've got a few pages up on my website. I'd suggest you start on this page: janice142 topic New in the Galley

My thinking on canning meats is this: The quality of my stuff is far superior to the dollar store variety in that the fat is removed. Also, I avoid salt.

By canning meat I can easily add any fillers I might want. I see no purpose in canning a stew when I can simply open a jar of beef, add potatoes and the like from my ships stores and have something fresh and delicious. Without a lot of refrigerator space I don't worry about having fresh meat ever.

If I want a pork sandwich, I can be eating one in ten minutes. Anything I desire is in a jar ready to open.

It's true that canning jars take space. I devoted one locker exclusively for them. Good Luck.

Oh, and I've got a chicken canning article upcoming (within a week) so be on the lookout for that too, if you're interested rosemari that is.

I just checked for you. Start HERE for the basics:
Janice142 article Canning Primer (Preserving Meats, Part One)

and then move to:
Janice142 article Processing in Pressure Cooker (Preserving Meats, Part Two)

Good luck and have fun.
J

Janice142, thank you. We will be canning all our meat as well. Hunting trip coming up next month. We will be devoting space solely for canning. We would much rather not depend on generator freezer or have a large fridge. We would also be trying to use solar/wind power. I will be checking out your articles. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom