What type of Long Range Vessel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I am reading - I understand that I am catching a bit of flack for not knowing what I want to do with the boat, if I want to cross oceans or not. Here is what I can say. I do not have plans to cross oceans per say, however I would love to eventually be capable (whether I do or not, idk) of going around the entire North America continent. From my understanding, many will say this is just coastal hopping - maybe it is. If so, I guess that is what I want to be able to do.

However I will be doing more living then crossing oceans.

After you decide the routes that you want to take with the vessel you will likely be restricted to some set of numbers for clearances (height above water) and draft (deepest depth of boat).
Those two numbers can limit your choices greatly once you have decided where you are likely to cruise. So if you plan to do the loop inland and around the east coast will determine a lot about your choice. If on the other hand your choices do not include these routes you next set of limits may very well likely be with fuel use and range.
It is impossible to solve for your questions without knowing the route(s) that you will be doing and maybe some that you 'might' do.

Wayne, I think most here realize it's difficult to pin down all your eventual future criteria from the git-go...

Smitty's post seems like a useful example of ways to pare down the problem into smaller bits. You might not be able to answer those kinds of "routes" questions at first, and then as you research you might later be able to gravitate toward a more granular version of the concept...

And then when you actually get your boat -- with your best guess of the right features and the most logical compromises -- you probably adapt yourself and your plans to what it can do.

One avenue of thought you might pursue for a while is what it might cost to do an ocean passage. Not just the (likely additional) cost of the capable boat, but also the cost in terms of additional systems (stabilizers?), fuel, pre-maintenance, etc etc etc. Hypothetically, if you begin to work out the cost might be an extra $300K (just made that up, for example) over a really good ocean-capable coastal cruiser, maybe that'll give you some useful pocketbook-level insight into how your long-distance plans can evolve.

We decided an occasional airline flight is about as much ocean passage as we could stand. :)

-Chris

Wayne, I think most here realize it's difficult to pin down all your eventual future criteria from the git-go...

Smitty's post seems like a useful example of ways to pare down the problem into smaller bits. You might not be able to answer those kinds of "routes" questions at first, and then as you research you might later be able to gravitate toward a more granular version of the concept...

And then when you actually get your boat -- with your best guess of the right features and the most logical compromises -- you probably adapt yourself and your plans to what it can do.

One avenue of thought you might pursue for a while is what it might cost to do an ocean passage. Not just the (likely additional) cost of the capable boat, but also the cost in terms of additional systems (stabilizers?), fuel, pre-maintenance, etc etc etc. Hypothetically, if you begin to work out the cost might be an extra $300K (just made that up, for example) over a really good ocean-capable coastal cruiser, maybe that'll give you some useful pocketbook-level insight into how your long-distance plans can evolve.

We decided an occasional airline flight is about as much ocean passage as we could stand. :)

-Chris

Chris - thank you. I notice you are in a sport fisher. I was looking at a long range sport fisher once as well (later ruled out) but wanted feedback to see if you can travel along the coasts as far as you want without problems with yours?

There you go again - You're pulling our legs, right?

Again, the McKinna in question has 200' of chain, the bow is 7 feet out of the water, so anchoring with a 7:1 scope means you are limited to 28.57'. Minus the 7 feet of bow height gives 20'. With an average tidal range of 10' (in your area) that says you can safely anchor in...10' MLLW of water. Oh wait, unless there's surge.

The only anchoring "specifications" I can gleen from the McKinna site is that the anchor they furnish has to be stainless and shiny. They certainly don't show a boat anchored. Or operating in more than 1' of combined wave height.

Would you really trust a manufacturer - who's most prominent member of their design team does "Exterior Styling and Interior Ergonomic" and engineering consultant is "a leading designer of custom designs with projects having been constrcuted (sic) on four continents." - to furnish a ground tackle system sufficient for cruising the entire West coast of North and Central Americas?

And do you really believe you can increase anchoring capability by simply bolting on "a pretty nice anchor of any size" (your words)?

You sure seem fixated on that boats anchor for some reason. :nonono:

And Yes, within reason you can just bolt on a larger anchor and if you want replace the rode and or chain. We're not talking about quantum leaps here. Going from say a 60 something pound anchor to say a hundred pound anchor should not require thousands of dollars of upgrades.

No, I have not studied in depth the exact anything that particular boat has for ground tackle, nore do i really care...Geez the guy doesen't even have the boat. :facepalm:

Chris - thank you. I notice you are in a sport fisher. I was looking at a long range sport fisher once as well (later ruled out) but wanted feedback to see if you can travel along the coasts as far as you want without problems with yours?

Yep, easily enough, at least here on the eastern side. We travel in two modes: slow and cheap, or faster and expedient. ("Fast" being a relative term.) We can carry 520 gallons of diesel and 200 gallons of water, so range at slow speeds isn't an issue.

OTOH, there are times when sea states aren't "slow-friendly" for our hull form, so then we go faster. Or else when we're just town-hopping, and the destination is temporarily more important than the journey, we just get on with it.

In any case, you can't hardly move more than about 20 miles out here without being in easy reach of fuel/water stops. Even when we've been in the Caribbean or on the Pacific coast of Central America (not on our own boat), distances haven't seemed impossible to manage. I'm not familiar with distances on the West Coast, PNW, Alaska, though... so I assume that's likely different... but still manageable.

-Chris

G
Dual thrusters and stabilizers would help with single-handing. But I'm not clear why a single-hander would want 3 staterooms - and 3 heads. The maintenance requirements of this vessel would be daunting - and painting the teak rails was no favor.

Well the OP was looking at boats up to 50 feet and ideally under $300,000 as I recall. One of those staterooms could be turned into an office or work room.

Painting the teal rails was a huge favor maintence wise if done right.

I always have liked the look and layout of the Defever 53. Does anyone know the real numbers on clearance and draft on these boats?

Circumnavigate North America.
What are the fuel stops along the Northwest Passage?
Do you need to make prior arrangements for fuel drops etc.?

Ted

Idelwild has been there / done that, plus a whole bunch more. Don't know if it's still for sale, but you'd think there would be wiggle room on the price...eventually. A tendency towards frugality is a prerequisite!

The Boat For Sale

"One avenue of thought you might pursue for a while is what it might cost to do an ocean passage"

I would disagree with this entire concept.

A boat built structuraly for inshore has ZERO business in the deep water for very long..

Sure a lucky few have done a round trip and not seen more than 35K of wind.

But for most an inshore boat as most "trawlers" are does not have the proper build for the blue water, the ocean.

Sure paravanes can make the ride far better for a few grand , but rebuilding the PH so it stays in place with waves falling on it is a far different matter.

For stunting you need a special single purpose boat, Idlewild has been for sale for years!!!

Wonder why?

The easy way to do the NW Passage would be to motor up, pay CA$H to be lifted on deck , and get launched at the far end. And you wont get mashed by the Bergy Bits.

Last edited:
The easy way to do the NW Passage would be to motor up, pay CA$H to be lifted on deck , and get launched at the far end. And you wont get mashed by the Bergy Bits.

Sprague Theobald took a Nordhavn 57 through. His book "The Other Side of the Ice" about the voyage has relatively little coverage of the boating aspects though.

I always have liked the look and layout of the Defever 53. Does anyone know the real numbers on clearance and draft on these boats?

The draft is stated at 4' 8", so it's 5'. The air draft looks to be 20-25'.

But just call the broker and ask.

You sure seem fixated on that boats anchor for some reason. :nonono:
Gee, anchoring capability is a basic requirement, isn't it?

Have you heard of Lloyds A1? That it means a good vessel?

Well, it turns out that anchors are kind of important:
1 - The figure 1 in the character signifies that the ship
has equipment of anchors, chain cables and hawsers in
accordance with, or of a standard equivalent to, the Rule
requirements for sea-going ships classed for unrestricted
service.​
http://www.lr.org/en/_images/213-35667_42-class-symbols.pdf

"One avenue of thought you might pursue for a while is what it might cost to do an ocean passage"

I would disagree with this entire concept.

A boat built structuraly for inshore has ZERO business in the deep water for very long..

Sure a lucky few have done a round trip and not seen more than 35K of wind.

But for most an inshore boat as most "trawlers" are does not have the proper build for the blue water, the ocean.

Sure paravanes can make the ride far better for a few grand , but rebuilding the PH so it stays in place with waves falling on it is a far different matter.

Yes, I'd expect a purpose-built passagemaker might be in the neighborhood of maybe $100-200K ?? more than a well-built coastal cruiser of the same general length//volume/displacement. Just a guess, but certainly more is probably correct.

And then the cost of an actual ocean crossing probably wouldn't be insignificant. (Dauntless experience germane.)

Only Wayne can decide whether that's in his wallet. Now or in the future. Or not.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom