Toilet paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give up on indoor heads altogether, squat off the pulpit and use the anchor wash hose as a bidet. .
I read this 5 minutes ago and am still laughing! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Give up on indoor heads altogether, squat off the pulpit and use the anchor wash hose as a bidet.

It would be legal even in no dump zones.

Wifey B: I think there could like possibly be some overzealous conservatives who might question the legality of your open butt to the world practice if within viewing distance.

Reminds me of the ones who got out their binoculars and pulled closer to our dock, ultimately up to it, so they could see topless swimmers better to then complain about.

Actually the direct-from-butt-to-ocean is still legally considered a discharge if you want to be technical about it.

We've spent a lot of time in Mx, Central America and SA and haven't found the "no TP in toilet" places yet, and I've been to some funky spots, though obviously not all of them.

As Peggy says, unless you have some really poorly maintained head, there is zero reason not to add TP to the load it is already processing.

Actually the direct-from-butt-to-ocean is still legally considered a discharge if you want to be technical about it.

We've spent a lot of time in Mx, Central America and SA and haven't found the "no TP in toilet" places yet, and I've been to some funky spots, though obviously not all of them.

As Peggy says, unless you have some really poorly maintained head, there is zero reason not to add TP to the load it is already processing.

Based on how some on this forum claim to handle their used TP, stepping on their boat is like stepping into a third world country.

This is important stuff Peggy!!!

My toilet flushes just about anything I put in it unless I put in too much, then it plugs where the hose goes over the discharge fitting. What I worry about is the paper sitting in the holding tank and compacting at the bottom and plugging up the macerator pump.

I don't suppose that's a problem if you suck it out at a vacuum station, but I don't have very many of those available so I mostly run offshore to discharge. Thanks for the tip on the Scott's!

Where does one find a toilet seat bidet combo? The admiral definitely wants one. The bidet at our house is used extensively. The Europeans have so many good ideas that don't generally find their way to the US much.

Wifey B: I don't get why so many feel there's a problem with tp. I find the problem is with total load so may need to double flush. But that's the same you run into on land with some of these water conservation toilets. I'm sorry but who thought toilets were the place to conserve water like that. Now the deal that does work is having two flush options. You get a small flush for #1 and a big flush for #2. Now that makes sense. That seems to me the same key on boats that it's really just using enough water. Guess I just never knew so many problems as we just use them normal.

And if you're a big tp user then flush the poop, then do the tp and flush it.

I agree Wifey B
Flush to keep loading appropriate.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442084570.169661.jpg

Based on how some on this forum claim to handle their used TP, stepping on their boat is like stepping into a third world country.

I was thinking the same thing and we travel to 3rd world countries a good bit I do not want my boat like that yuck

And BTW

You guys a cracking me up

when we bought our boat the first thing my wife bought was Peggy's book

Give up on indoor heads altogether, squat off the pulpit and use the anchor wash hose as a bidet.

This is pretty much the way the crewmen on a WWII PT boat did it while on patrol. The boats, or at least the Elco boats, had two toilets, one in the forepeak and one in the officer's suite. At speed the toilet in the forepeak was too dangerous to use and the one in the officer's suite was generally off-limits. It would take far too long to type up a description of the device the crewman created on the sterns of their boats but suffice it to say what they did was strikingly similar to CP's concept above.

It was dangerous and the crew hated using it but when you gotta go you gotta go.......

Ok...since y'all so are fascinated with marine sanitation solutions....

On what vessel was the first true marine toilet installed? Bonus points if you can name the inventor.

USS Monitor
John Ericsson

Sir walter Crapper.

Sorry, not correct...and you got Crapper's first name wrong too....it was Thomas.
Sir Thomas didn't invent the flush toilet either A man named Joseph Adamson was granted the first patent for a siphonic flush toilet in 1853...Crapper would have been 17 then, and another 8 years away from starting his business. There are no records of any patents for flush toilets being granted to Thomas Crapper. His nephew George Crapper did patent a designs tat was called "improvements to siphon flushing tanks, " but that was more 40 years after the first ones.

...And another myth bites the dust.

Hi Peggy.

I have always believed that a bloke named Crapper invented the indoor toilet in England.

Always happy to be wrong, I thought that was why the loo was called a Crapper. Perhaps it should be called an Ericsson but Crapper sounds more appropiate.

Regards.

David.

Hi Peggy.

I have always believed that a bloke named Crapper invented the indoor toilet in England.

Always happy to be wrong, I thought that was why the loo was called a Crapper. Perhaps it should be called an Ericsson but Crapper sounds more appropiate.

Regards.

David.

Crapper invented the flushing toilet. Peggy's question was about the marine version.

Prefer the last wipe with some witch hazel on the paper. I'm not ready to trust instant-dissolving paper for that task. Regardless, do it my way (tissue in the waste basket) on my boat, thank you.

Crapper invented the flushing toilet.

Nooo, he didn't. And to further burst your bubble, the term "crap" was around long before Crapper was born...it actually means the husk of grain or chaff, residue from boiling fats, dregs of beer making...etc. WWI soldiers brought it to America

Prefer the last wipe with some witch hazel on the paper. I'm not ready to trust instant-dissolving paper for that task. Regardless, do it my way (tissue in the waste basket) on my boat, thank you.

So you are just going to poo poo my terry cloth towel idea then? Even if we toss in heated towel bars???

So you are just going to poo poo my terry cloth towel idea then? Even if we toss in heated towel bars???

Exactly. I don't want to handle a pile of soiled towels, take them home to stink my automobile, and then contaminate my washer. Tissues in plastic bag go directly to the dumpster at the entrance to the marina.

Exactly. I don't want to handle a pile of soiled towels, take them home to stink my automobile, and then contaminate my washer. Tissues in plastic bag go directly to the dumpster at the entrance to the marina.

Ok...so you are happy for your excrement to go to landfill..and untreated...shame on you... :nonono:
:D

Ok...so you are happy for your excrement to go to landfill..and untreated...shame on you... :nonono:
:D

Exactly. Most all the waste goes to the treatment plant after being pumped from the blackwater tank. Anal-smeared paper goes to the compost pile (landfill) so any bacteria can finish digesting the paper. :)

Nooo, he didn't. And to further burst your bubble, the term "crap" was around long before Crapper was born...it actually means the husk of grain or chaff, residue from boiling fats, dregs of beer making...etc. WWI soldiers brought it to America

Maybe, maybe not.

Siphonic flush toilet

Crapper's Valveless Waste Preventer
Crapper held nine patents, three of them for water closet improvements such as the floating ballcock, but none was for the flush toilet itself.[citation needed] Thomas Crapper's advertisements implied the siphonic flush was his invention; one having the text "Crapper's Valveless Water Waste Preventer (Patent #4,990) One movable part only", but patent 4990 (for a minor improvement to the water waste preventer) was not his, but that of Albert Giblin in 1898.[7][8] Crapper's nephew, George, did improve the siphon mechanism by which the water flow is started. A patent for this development was awarded in 1897.[9]

Origin of the word "crap"
It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, crap, originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. A common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e. "I'm going to the crapper".[10]

The word crap is actually of Middle English origin and predates its application to bodily waste. Its most likely etymological origin is a combination of two older words, the Dutch krappen: to pluck off, cut off, or separate; and the Old French crappe: siftings, waste or rejected matter (from the medieval Latin crappa, chaff).[10] In English, it was used to refer to chaff, and also to weeds or other rubbish. Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house.[10]

Back
Top Bottom