Whitcraft Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
Anyone here familier with the Whitcraft Coastal Cruiser? My daughter is looking at one and I would appreciate any feedback.

Anyone here familier with the Whitcraft Coastal Cruiser? My daughter is looking at one and I would appreciate any feedback.

Yes, they are VERY old, and have quite the narrow beam. Most had (now obsolete) HEAVY engines in them. I've always rather liked their design, but unless the one she's (red flag) looking at has all new pretty much everything- I would just put the car back in drive, and roll onward. Their prices are very low, but that's because they are very old. They were cheap and old back when I was young!!!
Carri-crafts, and Kenners fall into that category too. Most were in poor condition by the late 70's.

This one is a 1974. Don't know engine hours yet but the boat has had a lot of updates as recently as 2011. It would be a live aboard for probably 8 months out of the year and would only travel in the Florida Keys area.

I have looked at a couple of these boats. I think big block Chrysler engines with V-drives. Look for rotten stringers. An OK interior.

If your planning to use it in the Keys, I hope you have dockage arranged (I recommend Florida City and Goodland north of there) already. Dockage IN the Key's is hard to find and very expensive when you do. If it's not in the keys, you had better have plans to make the boat seaworthy (note the narrow beam, as sea's can stack up pretty big on the Gulf Side from Naples- south, which makes a narrow long boat a concern to turn) enough to get there, and have good anchors, and a big holding tank because pump out places are another thing that's rare to find, and the National Park Service has about taken over both sides of the Key's so there's no shortage of officers there looking to inspect your boat. It's not like it used to be-which was good. Even Boot Key Harbor is all moorings now. You will be stopped at night commuting in your tender. Which reminds me- tow a BIG boat with a BIG engine because if your anchoring out in a nice private place- it's going to be several miles to fetch groceries, water, restaurants, etc., and the police really like stopping "minnows" (Inflatables or rowing tenders) and pretty much leave the big fast boats alone. Easier to catch I reckon. Oh, and you mentioned "liveaboard"- yeah, that's exactly what all those rich people in their MacMansions like looking at- liveaboards in a old boat. "Hello Monroe County Sheriffs office, you mind checking out that boat over there?"

Last edited:
whitcraft coastal cruiser

I own a 1972 Whitcraft 50. Bill's question needs to be more specific. A 50 was built under Rockwell International who also owned Hatteras. Jim wynne designed the 50 while also designing for Hatteras. The stringer network is one piece molded fiberglass( no wood ). They never had any blister problems (mine has been in water year-round since new and I found 3 blisters). The modified-V hull handles very well and is fuel efficient. Mine is powered w/twin Detroit Diesel. This will never be OLD if maintained, maybe a CLASSIC. Thanks, Brian.

Back
Top Bottom