Recycling ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

15dragonfly

Hi all, I'm not a trawler owner and I was after some info on how to cut a trawler rope as I was thinking you all deal with this everyday and you may have some fast ideas I could use. I got this rope from our local recycle plant. I would like to make it into other things but wasn't sure on how to cut it and stop it from fraying. Appreciation on simple and the fastest way of doing so as we may not have the items you guys use and I do daycare and my kids would really like to use it for tug of war games etc. Thanks in advance :)http://www.trawlerforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Ummmmmmmm yeah...

Knife?

That is. If you are allowed to use one.

I part way cut through a rope with my prop once. Swam under the boat with a knife to finish doing it. Didn't care if that one frayed.

Normally I wrap tape around the location to be cut then cut through the tape with a knife.

Hahahahaha Northern spy, I don't know anything about this profession. Just wanted some info. Yeah I can use a knife. No need for sarcasm if this is what your group is about then I don't think much of it then now.

I think you might be looking for trawlers, as in fishing boats. We're just a bunch of recreational boaters. YouTube has some great videos on whipping ends of lines. I think that's what you're looking for.

Hahahahaha Northern spy, I don't know anything about this profession. Just wanted some info. Yeah I can use a knife. No need for sarcasm if this is what your group is about then I don't think much of it then now.

Hey Dragonfly,

Don`t be too harsh to judge this mob, there are a few Aussie members and we do what we can to keep the septics in check :)

Depending how thick the line is, bind the rope with electrical tape, cut it (yes, with a knife) then singe the raw ends with a match or lighter. Assuming its nylon/polyester it will melt the cut strands and fuse them together and stop any fraying.

cheers

George

Greetings,
Mr./Ms 15. IF the rope IS a synthetic (Nylon, Polyester etc.) and you follow Mr. B's good advice and melt the taped/cut ends with a flame to fuse said ends, please do NOT touch the hot ends of the rope. SEVERE burns can result. Have a vessel of water (fresh or salt, doesn't matter) standing by to dip the end of the rope into in case it catches fire. Again, be VERY careful of the hot rope material. Best NOT to have the tots in the vicinity...
giphy.gif

Welcome aboard Dragonfly. Northern Spy is Canadian, the long winters have had their effect on him. He means well and his answer was correct, if incomplete.

I have to admit I thought about answering in the same way, but he beat me to it.

I think you should spend a couple of hundred dollars on an electric rope cutter. You don't need to tape the rope first and your knife stays sharp. (That's a joke)

Seriously how you prevent rope from fraying depends on what it is made of.

Do you know what your rope is made of? How big is it?

Depending how thick the line is, bind the rope with electrical tape, cut it (yes, with a knife) then singe the raw ends with a match or lighter. Assuming its nylon/polyester it will melt the cut strands and fuse them together and stop any fraying...

That's what I learned over fifty years ago. Gee, I'm old! :blush:

Hey Dragonfly,

Don`t be too harsh to judge this mob, there are a few Aussie members and we do what we can to keep the septics in check :)

Depending how thick the line is, bind the rope with electrical tape, cut it (yes, with a knife) then singe the raw ends with a match or lighter. Assuming its nylon/polyester it will melt the cut strands and fuse them together and stop any fraying.
Don`t go pressing melted rope end fibers together with your fingers. To tidy the end, press the melted end fibres on something they won`t stick to.

Hi Dragonfly.

Sometimes a newbie in all innocence asks a question which has been asked before many times or seems obvious to them but not you.

Don`t be too hard on them, now if you want to use the lengths of rope in yopur childcare job then just go onto youtube and find out how to whip the ends of non poly roly, the way to seal poly rope has been explained here by many.

Perhaps you could even learn and then teach your older charges how to splice rope also found on youtube or post a me4ssage on local radio in Cairns for a trawlerman who would could show you what you need to know.

People who work with and care for children are precious and I thank You for doing it.

Regards.

David.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom