Toilet paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Just made me think how lucky we are that people like Peggie decide to specialize in such gross things. I mean it. We need an expert and her knowledge and advice and it's just not the area of concentration most would pursue. Just one more occupation that I'm so happy others do so I don't have to. Thanks for all your knowledge, Peggie. :thumb:

you guys crack me up.

I am a TP snob and only use one brand. I now have TP on auto delivery from Amazon as my local grocery store stopped selling my brand. I don't care if it dissolves in a jar of water or not because I throw it in the trash. Been doing that on boats for many years so why stop now. :flowers:

I do not allow Scott brand TP or paper towels in my home or boat. :rofl: We let a relative use our boat and they left us some Charmin. I considered throwing it away but it was only two rolls so I allowed it to remain. :nonono:

I didn't choose this "area of concentration," it chose me. Solving problems on the first boat my late hubby and I owned that was big enough to have toilet facilities kinda just evolved into a business. It's only men who consider it "gross"...'cuz women have been up to our elbows in this stuff ever since Eve slapped the first fig leave on Cain's bottom.

I didn't choose this "area of concentration," it chose me. Solving problems on the first boat my late hubby and I owned that was big enough to have toilet facilities kinda just evolved into a business. It's only men who consider it "gross"...'cuz women have been up to our elbows in this stuff ever since Eve slapped the first fig leave on Cain's bottom.

Wifey B: I consider it gross...I guess having not been a mom. Maybe that's it that raising kids you have to deal with it. I was like 35 years old before I changed my first diaper. My niece, who is, by the way, the most beautiful, smartest, most wonderful and going to be the most spoiled child ever. But you're right as hubby gags if forced near and still hasn't ever changed a diaper. But your baby's poop is not like dealing with a pot full of it on a boat. And that whole using a can for the dirty tp....oh no....I can't do that. My germaphobe hubby would flip anyway. :hide: He just said "no more poop talk" as we have dinner in a few minutes. :D

And however you got into it still appreciate it.

I hear the answer to excess TP disposal is using both sides :eek:. A cruising companion boat ran out of TP not long ago, we offered them some used one side only, talk about ungrateful,....

LOL poop shmoop... I don't have kids either but used to babysit babies and have changed diapers. It has probably been 30 years. I used to shovel horse **** at the barn. I pick up my dog's poo. I've had that moment of realizing there was a hole in the bag and I just picked up dog **** with my bare fingers. (that was actually fairly gross. :facepalm:) We changed out our holding tank and our heads. whatever. I would not want to fall in a pile of poo like that kid in Slumdog Millionaire. a trash bag with used TP in it? whatever. But I totally respect that what is NBD to me may be super gross to other people!!

See...it's you reformed sailboaters who have carried this disgusting "TP in the trash can" habit into our otherwise respectable world of power yachting. There ought to be a law...

:eek: :eek: :facepalm:

:nonono:

We want strong and absorbent paper. It all goes into a covered waste basket containing a plastic bag. We don't challenge the toilet's macerator and waste tank. ... I've changed diapers during an earlier life.

It's mind boggling that a thread devoted entirely to wiping one's butt could have lasted 40 posts! My new book covers the subject completely and doesn't have anywhere NEAR that much to say about it!

If I ever put used tp in the bathroom trash the Admiral would throw the trash bag overboard with me in it. And I'm not kidding.

Howard

It's mind boggling that a thread devoted entirely to wiping one's butt could have lasted 40 posts! My new book covers the subject completely and doesn't have anywhere NEAR that much to say about it!

Well, now that you're getting all this great research on our backsides, I hope we at least get an honorable mention in your next 'novel'.

Couple years ago A boater asked if he coild borrow some TP... I replied... you've got to be kidding!

"Why not use terry cloth towels? Both strong and absorbent plus can be laundered and reused."

Much of the world simply uses their hand , a towel takes too much effort.

Paper is renewable , it grows on trees!

"Why not use terry cloth towels? Both strong and absorbent plus can be laundered and reused."

Much of the world simply uses their hand , a towel takes too much effort.

Paper is renewable , it grows on trees!

Never eat with right hand! Or left - if so inclined for swipes and such. :rofl:

There is NO reason to pay even a few extra cents for "marine/rv TP." I discovered that it's just the cheapest single ply practically-dissolves-in-your-hand-when-wet TP that's available from most supermarkets for a fraction of the price when I was at the SeaLand plant in OH for "VacuFlush Certification School." During a tour of the plant I watched an employee pull the wrappers off packages of no-name TP and repack 'em in SeaLand TP wrappers.

I came home all set to add TP to our product line...till I found out I'd have to buy in lots of at least 6,000 cases to be able to sell it for a cost competitive price, and I didn't have enough warehouse space to store anywhere near that much.

So save your money and buy the cheapest stuff...it's the same thing.

Guess my post # 26 got shat-down! :nonono:

Peggie - Be kind to us unknowledgeable in the realms of TP "dissolvent-distributions" ...after the deed! :hide:

I still say... my marine TP is the fasters shredder I've seen. You don't even need to shake the jar of water. In couple minutes, it turns to shredded snow all on its own volition! :thumb:

BTW: Just to let the cat out o' the bag... men stand there "yellow"water-bombing floating TP in bowls... surgically tearing them to shreds. Extra points if you sink the whole package of floating TP. Youngsters can fantasize they are sinking war ships! It's a Boy Thang! :rofl:

Last edited:
"BTW: Just to let the cat out o' the bag... men stand there "yellow"water-bombing floating TP in bowls... surgically tearing them to shreds. Extra points if you sink the whole package of floating TP. Youngsters can fantasize they are sinking war ships! It's a Boy Thang! "

I need to be extra careful and Oliver knows why.

I think I have learned more than I need to know about you guys!:eek:

"BTW: Just to let the cat out o' the bag... men stand there "yellow"water-bombing floating TP in bowls... surgically tearing them to shreds. Extra points if you sink the whole package of floating TP. Youngsters can fantasize they are sinking war ships! It's a Boy Thang! "

I need to be extra careful and Oliver knows why.

Hmmm...my bomb bay is pretty empty after sitting down to let the subs out of the pen. I'm afraid the tidal vortex will have to deal with the TP war ships on its own.

Thus I prefer my war ships to be weaker than the Bismarck so there is little likelihood of any salvage missions in the aftermath of battle.

Last edited:
I wonder why no one has mentioned a bidet as an alternative to TP. They're available as toilet seat retrofit kits.

(That oughta be good for at least another 10 posts to this thread)

Like they said in that old song "what a difference a bidet makes.... 24 little water jets!!"

Regarding the keep it in a bag approach to toilet paper: Get a small bottle of Pine Sol (the real stuff, not the knock-off cheap dollar store variety)

With the first addition to the bag (or on a cotton ball if you so desire) add a drop or four of PineSol. I tip my bottle upside down on a cotton ball for a second -- or less. Then drop that into the container.

From that point forward there is no objectionable odor.

Regarding the keep it in a bag approach to toilet paper: Get a small bottle of Pine Sol (the real stuff, not the knock-off cheap dollar store variety)

With the first addition to the bag (or on a cotton ball if you so desire) add a drop or four of PineSol. I tip my bottle upside down on a cotton ball for a second -- or less. Then drop that into the container.

From that point forward there is no objectionable odor.

Sorry, but for me then you've simply replaced one objectionable odor with another more objectionable.

I wonder why no one has mentioned a bidet as an alternative to TP. They're available as toilet seat retrofit kits.

Wifey B: I love love love love love bidets. I don't think most dudes probably do but since mine is a bit germaphobic he's all in on the concept. Still have paper but washing wins over wiping any day. When I was young and would see one, I thought what in the world is that thing and why and thought why do these prissy old women want them, until first time I like really tried one. Well first time water everywhere but where I meant it but once you learn. Now still need tp to dry unless you use a towel. But then I wouldn't object to the tp in a can clan. :socool:

Give up on indoor heads altogether, squat off the pulpit and use the anchor wash hose as a bidet.

It would be legal even in no dump zones.

See...it's you reformed sailboaters who have carried this disgusting "TP in the trash can" habit into our otherwise respectable world of power yachting. There ought to be a law...

:eek: :eek: :facepalm:

:nonono:

Guilty as charged. Although we use gallon Ziplocs, and everyone gets their own. You haven't lived until you've rooted around the can to find the bag with your name on it. Or squeezed the air (and other yummy smells) out so it'll fit back in. The guy with the Pine Sol is right on, although we just splash a little on a square of TP (since it's right there.)

As for standing up, I can't wait to be a power boater where that is even remotely an option. Everyone sits on our boat, my son and I included. How anyone can reliably hit that target with as much as a sailboat moves underway is a mystery to me.

Also, if you've spent any time in Central or South America, or any place with less than efficient plumbing, the basket next to the comode is a staple. In the border area of California, if there's no basket the TP is often thrown on the floor behind the toilet by the newly arrived. They would never be so rude as to risk wrecking the plumbing. Different places have different customs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom