Dock lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cinlamb

Anyone have experience with Unicord Docklines? We need to replace all our lines on a 32' trawler that normally is in a slip with a lot of current and sudden winds on Lake Michigan.

This is what we have (four of them ) . It's way overkill for our area but maybe not in your neck of the woods .Sure makes for some comfortable nights .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 140
(Nice boat!) I am questioneing the brand - Unicord. I am not able to find reviews online.

Nope. Never even heard of them. Nothing against them, they just do not have a presence that I'm aware of where I live.
As for reviews most people don't. I'll bet they are a good mfgr.[don't know]. Many mfgrs have a regional only presence such as in my neck of the woods, Sampson. There are others but in reality pleasure boat use is a small part of their business. Worthwhile , but small.

However if your moorage is subject to lots of wind, gusty winds and/or wave action then the lines you choose should offer shock absorbtion.
Double braid will not offer much of that so usually in places where a lot of jerking at the lines is experienced the triple lay nylon line is better. It may need to be replaced every few years as they do stiffen up although some of that can be reduced by proper cleaning.

If bad enough use a rubber snubber, a good one. I do although I don't really have serious problems anymore. I was taught the lesson years ago when the dock I was at got hammered by the winds. TYhe boat literally jerked to a stop and I was going break something.

The marina had two of the rubber snubbers and once installed it took the sharp snap out of the boat lines running out of stretch.

I use Falcon snubbers along with triple lay line for my dedicated winter mooring lines. I have all my main boat lines equipped with them also, bows and sterns.
They do work.

And don't overwrap as that will overstretch and eventually tear them. Falcon says three full wraps max, I went with two. I've been using them now for about 20 years.

You might also look at fenders. The bigger the better. They can be inflated a bit on the soft side for again, a softer compression when the boat is slammed against the finger. I am assuming you will be side tied on one side only.
If you have finger docks down both sides and can tie down both sides then the lines alone should do the job it they are set up properly. But big fenders are still a good backup.

Also do not overbuy the snubber size as that will limit the stretch. If you but too large there will be little stretch so little shock absorbtion. They need to stretch to work.

Pack Mule is showing exactly what I use.

For comparison mine is a 32' also. I use 1/2" lines with the 5/8 Falcon snubbers.

Last edited:
I switched to 8 strand braided dock lines this year. So far I like them very much. They have more stretch than double braid or 3 strand nylon plus they don't hockle. The latter makes them very easy to handle.

I bought a 200 ft roll of 5/8" 3 strand for our 33ft. I spliced the end loops myself and saved a ton of money and once you have done a couple it is very quick. We use a chafe protector where the lines go through the hawse pipes. We use 6 lines. We keep the boat close to our port side to allow for boarding but keep the lines on the starboard side tight enough to keep the boat from actually bouncing off the dock. IMO the 3 strand gives ample stretch but snubbers could be added. We have had these lines for 3 years now and show no signs of wear and have not hardened up at all. With the cost of bulk line we will simply replace when they do.

Attachments

• New stanchions (Large).jpg
    New stanchions (Large).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 92
  • New window shades.jpg
    New window shades.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 92
Lay Line Definition?

Nope. Never even heard of them. Nothing against them, they just do not have a presence that I'm aware of where I live.
As for reviews most people don't. I'll bet they are a good mfgr.[don't know]. Many mfgrs have a regional only presence such as in my neck of the woods, Sampson. There are others but in reality pleasure boat use is a small part of their business. Worthwhile , but small.

However if your moorage is subject to lots of wind, gusty winds and/or wave action then the lines you choose should offer shock absorbtion.
Double braid will not offer much of that so usually in places where a lot of jerking at the lines is experienced the triple lay nylon line is better. It may need to be replaced every few years as they do stiffen up although some of that can be reduced by proper cleaning.

If bad enough use a rubber snubber, a good one. I do although I don't really have serious problems anymore. I was taught the lesson years ago when the dock I was at got hammered by the winds. TYhe boat literally jerked to a stop and I was going break something.

The marina had two of the rubber snubbers and once installed it took the sharp snap out of the boat lines running out of stretch.

I use Falcon snubbers along with triple lay line for my dedicated winter mooring lines. I have all my main boat lines equipped with them also, bows and sterns.
They do work.

And don't overwrap as that will overstretch and eventually tear them. Falcon says three full wraps max, I went with two. I've been using them now for about 20 years.

You might also look at fenders. The bigger the better. They can be inflated a bit on the soft side for again, a softer compression when the boat is slammed against the finger. I am assuming you will be side tied on one side only.
If you have finger docks down both sides and can tie down both sides then the lines alone should do the job it they are set up properly. But big fenders are still a good backup.

Also do not overbuy the snubber size as that will limit the stretch. If you but too large there will be little stretch so little shock absorbtion. They need to stretch to work.

Pack Mule is showing exactly what I use.

For comparison mine is a 32' also. I use 1/2" lines with the 5/8 Falcon snubbers.

When you say 'lay line' what do you mean? That is a term I am not used to, outside of navigating around around an obstruction on a sailboat.

Thanks!
Stu

I just use simple three braid nylon. Gots a bit of stretch, which cushions shock. Cheap, well sort of, bought a 600' spool of 5/8. Soft for easy coiling. Need a new piece, go to the spool and cut one, melt the ends, done.

Used the black braided for a bit, that stuff did not have enough stretch for me. If it goes tight the boat gets jerked. Wakes me up.

Triple lay also known as 3 strand.
The term Triple lay is common here but obviously not everywhere.
Product

Last edited:
I switched to 8 strand braided dock lines this year. So far I like them very much. They have more stretch than double braid or 3 strand nylon plus they don't hockle. The latter makes them very easy to handle.

Agreed. I will look into the 8 plait another day when it comes time to replace what I have. It was not common and actually still is not where I am.

Apparently, chafe protection is not required when you skip the hawse holes. In addition, para-cord comes in bulk so you hardly run out. If you skip the bumpers, you can use less dock cordelette, thus saving $$. Also note, no need for fancy splices or marlinspike skills, as simple overhand knots are sufficient.

Attachments

• 20150717_211345_resized.jpg
    20150717_211345_resized.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 122
IMO fender aren't worth a darn for your home dock. Use something like these for real protection. They make styles for poles floating and fixed docks.

Fender Profiles - Fend-All Dock Fenders

Many marinas will not allow you to attach those to the dock because the screws used to mount them will shorten the life of the dock timber. In that case, fenders are your only option.

Apparently, chafe protection is not required when you skip the hawse holes. In addition, para-cord comes in bulk so you hardly run out. If you skip the bumpers, you can use less dock cordelette, thus saving $$. Also note, no need for fancy splices or marlinspike skills, as simple overhand knots are sufficient.

And here I've been spending all that money on proper dock lines when I could have used twine instead. (Great photo, now that's funny.)

Background: We have floating docks with 1 finger pier and 1 piling at mouth of our slip. The slip is exposed to a small bay to the east, north east. The fetch may be 1/2 mile, max.

Photo shows how she was tied tightly to the pier, using 3, 10" fenders, in anticipation of tropical storm Erica.

Questions:

1) How would you tie under normal conditions? I was told, "You don't want the boat to live on her fenders", so I tie so she just touches them at max strain.

2) How would you tie in anticipation of major storm or winds over 30 knots? I was told, "Tie really tight to the floating dock"

Just wanted to explore further.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4710.jpg
    IMG_4710.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 100
I realize that there are many ways to tie.

This is our normal configuration:
Stern in. All lines pre measured and remain at slip.

1) forward spring to the mid-ship cleat.
2) 2 stern lines, crossing
3) 2 breast lines, 1 at each side of bow.

Works for us, but always interested in your comments.

If you had waves from the bow the boat and dock would move differently and the fenders may wind up on top of the dock.

I marvel at how many people have moved to FL in the last 10 years who have not been through a tropical storm or hurricane.

They are in for a rude awakening one of these days. Hopefully later and not sooner.

I marvel at how many people have moved to FL in the last 10 years who have not been through a tropical storm or hurricane.

They are in for a rude awakening one of these days. Hopefully later and not sooner.

Just hope all their boats fit behind the Ortona lock :)

I realize that there are many ways to tie.

This is our normal configuration:
Stern in. All lines pre measured and remain at slip.

1) forward spring to the mid-ship cleat.
2) 2 stern lines, crossing
3) 2 breast lines, 1 at each side of bow.

Works for us, but always interested in your comments.

For a storm I'd have larger and more fenders. Both ball and tube if I had or could get them. Double up on all lines and have both forward and aft leading spring lines. Plus add chafe gear as needed.

Our previous marina had lined each berth/slip with fendering. Current one doesn`t, its DIY, initially we hung fenders on the boat, then we put fenders long ways along the tie side deck edge of the slip, there were enough gaps in the planking to get lines through to tie the fenders in place, at this stage we monitor and adjust them to make sure the system is working. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom