Toilet paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Consumer report tested toilet paper this month.

Their 3rd place winner Scott Extra Soft was the best at dissolving.

Folks with grinder toilets or macerators might want to give the machinery a break.

That's a great tip. Thanks.

Instead don't flush it, put it in a closed container then the dock trash.

Deja vue?

Thanks for the "heads" up.

A test that I think Peggie told me about years ago, was to put one square of TP in a jar with water in it, seal lid, then shake the jar 5 times. If the square breaks up in 5 shakes, it's good to go for use in your marine toilet.

Last edited:
Consumer report tested toilet paper this month.

Their 3rd place winner Scott Extra Soft was the best at dissolving.

Folks with grinder toilets or macerators might want to give the machinery a break.

Tried some Scott single-ply stuff. Is this the same?

Dissolved easily enough, but a corn cob would have been more "comfortable."

-Chris

We use the Scotts stuff from sam's/Costco single or two ply and fold to our heart's delight. Vacuflush heads make easy work of almost any sort of TP if you make sure to fill the bowl a bit more before flushing and hold the flush lever down for a three count, just like in the directions!

OK, I posted this in OT, but I think it applies here, too. Mods feel free to delete if needed.

Attachments

• toilet brush.jpg
    toilet brush.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 111

A test that I think Peggie told me about years ago, was to put one square of TP in a jar with water in it, seal lid, then shake the jar 5 times. If the square breaks up in 5 shakes, it's good to go for use in your marine toilet.

But I can't shake my toilet 5 times:rofl:

We have VacuFlush heads and we have found the Scotts single ply, extra soft, septic safe brand works best. Found out very early on in this adventure that you can't just use any type (Charmin comes to mind) in VacuFlush heads. Plugs at the duck bills. Water is also your friend. As far as putting the paper in the waste basket, yuk! and smelly, double yuk!

Not quite, Bill... Put a sheet in jar of water, seal it and let it sit for an hour or so--or overnight. THEN shake it a few times. If all you see is "snow" and the water is milky, that TP is safe for use in any marine toilet. But if the sheet is still intact, or mostly intact, keep looking.

As for putting the TP in a waste basket...if your toilet can't digest quick-dissolve TP, you need a new toilet! 'Cuz even the cheapest compact manual that's working anywhere close to factory specs can do that. Wet wipes are another matter...those shouldn't even be flushed on land regardless of any labeling that claims "flushable."

Last edited:
We also use Scotts single ply (septic safe) and have not had any issues in 12 years.

Not quite, Bill... Put a sheet in jar of water, seal it and let it sit for an hour or so--or overnight. THEN shake it a few times. If all you see is "snow" and the water is milky, that TP is safe for use in any marine toilet. But if the sheet is still intact, or mostly intact, keep looking.

As for putting the TP in a waste basket...if your toilet can't digest quick-dissolve TP, you need a new toilet! 'Cuz even the cheapest compact manual that's working anywhere close to factory specs can do that. Wet wipes are another matter...those shouldn't even be flushed on land regardless of any labeling that claims "flushable."

Ah, waddyaknow anyway! :D

Yep what she said!!!:thumb:

Peggy,
So glad your still willing to help us out. You sure know your ****. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Ah, waddyaknow anyway! :D

Weeellll...I know that a wise person learns from experience...and a wiser person learns from other people's experience. I didn't have to flush a wet wipe to learn what would happen if I did. :socool:

Attachments

• Wet wipes clog in macerater pump-a.jpg
    Wet wipes clog in macerater pump-a.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 134
We personally had no clogging problems with Kleenex or Charmin in our Vacuflush at a time we ran out of the "right" stuff and didn't have ready access to it. Used plenty of water and away it went!

Yeah, butt my paper doesn't get a chance to sit and mellow that long after it's served it's function. :D

Trouble with single ply is the tendency to use more, maybe as much as if 2 ply was used. Minimize the paper, follow with a wet wipe (NOT flushed).
For some reason this thread reminds me of the look of my fingers, after rubbing teak stain into my FB nameboards with a saturated cloth. :eek:

You don't wear gloves, Bruce?

While staining, I mean!!!!

Trouble with single ply is the tendency to use more, maybe as much as if 2 ply was used.

Once folded over single ply is the same as one 2 ply, advantage is it all falls apart easier in the bowl in my observation.

Once folded over single ply is the same as one 2 ply, advantage is it all falls apart easier in the bowl in my observation.

Plenty of flush water is the key. If your toilet isn't designed to bring in water and hold it ahead of solids, use a cup to add water from the sink.

Marine TP dissolves quick as ****... err, even quite quicker for that matter.

The few extra bucks for marine grade TP can save hundreds or more buck$ regarding eventual (i.e. too-soon) toilet-item repairs/replacements.

Just my 2 cents!

Now back to the Pro - Peggie

There is NO reason to pay even a few extra cents for "marine/rv TP." I discovered that it's just the cheapest single ply practically-dissolves-in-your-hand-when-wet TP that's available from most supermarkets for a fraction of the price when I was at the SeaLand plant in OH for "VacuFlush Certification School." During a tour of the plant I watched an employee pull the wrappers off packages of no-name TP and repack 'em in SeaLand TP wrappers.

I came home all set to add TP to our product line...till I found out I'd have to buy in lots of at least 6,000 cases to be able to sell it for a cost competitive price, and I didn't have enough warehouse space to store anywhere near that much.

So save your money and buy the cheapest stuff...it's the same thing.

I got tired of having my finger bust through or having to wad up a bunch of TP so that it almost felt like a blanket (Never actually tried that!). So off to Walmart for their cheapest of several types that they sell, and it works fine for home and boat (vacuflush).

I just tried Peggy's "shake 'n flake" test and it broke up just fine (snow) after maybe an hour. I tried it again with an immediate shake up, and it was just bigger snow.

So I'm giving my Costco stuff to one of my kids (birthday) and will stick with Walmart.

Phil

Out of curiosity I took a single square of my toilet paper here in Colombia (which by the way is a high quality, name brand triple layer toilet paper) and I put in in a one quart jar and immediately shook it five times. The photo below was the result. As you can see it disintegrated completely:

9631-albums319-picture2270.jpg

Now mind you this is one of the best quality toilet papers available and in normal use it's actually a very nice product (that's why I use it).

So, after careful consideration, I have decided to establish an export business handling only this product intended for the marine market. I'm now looking for distributors in the good ol' USA. Any takers? ;) :whistling::rofl:

Last edited:
Now mind you this is one of the best quality toilet paper available and in normal use it's actually a very nice product (that's why I use it).

So, after careful consideration, I have decided to establish an export business handling only this product intended for the marine market. I'm now looking for investors... any takers? ;) :whistling::rofl:

If you have the warehouse space for at least 6000 cases and a labor pool to rebag it in 4-packs...and oh, yes...storage for all those d'd bags.... we can talk.:dance:

Meanwhile,

Back
Top Bottom