Why I love a RPH with forward sloping windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
I think this image might help illustrate the overall visibility and lack of glare:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441823429.342242.jpg

That's a great perspective, refugio. I'd like to see that same panorama shot from other interior helms. Not many boats have such an unobstructed view from the comforts of an interior helm. How's the view looking aft?

I'll try to get a 180 degree fwd and 180 degree aft view from mine next time I'm out.

Straight aft is blocked by the false stack moving to either side gets around that. Aft windows slope the "wrong" way and are covered in Phifertex.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441825082.490101.jpg

I realize that this thread is about views from inside the pilot house or wheel house but it is also about views from the helm. Since my boat has no inside steering other than the enclosed fly bridge, (4 sides) here are the views I enjoy!

1) Starboard/bow (Port/bow is the same)

2) aft

Attachments

• STBD Bow View.jpg
    STBD Bow View.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Aft View.jpg
    Aft View.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 96
We have a reasonable view from the helm.

No helm POV shots, but these will give you an idea. The seat is removeable.

Attachments

• DSC05575.jpg
    DSC05575.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC05636.jpg
    DSC05636.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC05579.jpg
    DSC05579.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 99
That is one beautiful boat you have there, John.:smitten:

Definitely like my pilothouse view with sloping windows. While there isn't as much glass, the view from bow to 22º aft of beam is superb.

MC14.jpg

MC18.jpg

MC16.jpg

MC17.jpg

Astern is a little clutered with the boat deck (dingy location) behind the pilothouse. But then, at the speeds I travel, what's behind me is no longer of any concern. :rolleyes:

Ted

Thanks L&F!

She was fully refurbished eight years ago, and the previous owner threw lots of cash at equipment.

My job now is to keep the polish up inside and stay across the pre-emptive hull maintenance schedule until it's my turn to splash more cash.

Attachments

• DSC02742.jpg
    DSC02742.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 131
Eagle- Gardner or--? Engine. What ever, beautiful engine room:) (Actually everything!!):flowers:
Al

Eagle and OCD, you guys really know how to live!! They are both real beauts!

We have a reasonable view from the helm.
That interior is gorgeous - much better than the work the cross-eyed woodchucks did on mine.

But...reasonable view? Look at your photo - it looks like you have canvas covers over your forward windows. I bet that it isn't that obscured in "real life", but damn that must be tiring - sun or rain.

She was fully refurbished eight years ago, and the previous owner threw lots of cash at equipment.
That is an amazing engine - and engine room. I don't think I'm going to show mine. :whistling:

John-- I would have to say that in my opinion yours is the best looking interior of all the boats I have seen on this forum. And your engne room looks like a museum display of how an engine room looks. And hats off to you for not having those staggeringly ugly wannabe windows that in my opinion totally ruin the aesthetics of every recreational boat they are applied to.

While I realize boats are never truly finished, I trust you are justifiably proud of your accomplishment.

John--

While I realize boats are never truly finished, I trust you are justifiably proud of your accomplishment.

Thanks Marin, but a succession of previous owners deserve any credit. The modifications I've made are unseen and for technical and safety issues.

The aesthetics are mostly just following function, like quite a number of similar timber work boats/motor cruisers around here, maintained to a high standard by Timber Tragics such as myself.

What is this "Timber Tragics" you speak of??

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

... And hats off to you for not having those staggeringly ugly wannabe windows that in my opinion totally ruin the aesthetics of every recreational boat they are applied to.

I like mine.

Richard

Someday I'll have a raised pilothouse with wannabe windows and a warm teak interior. Someday... Sigh...

Anyone who continues to own timber boats by choice.

As in the 200+ boats at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend starting tomorrow. Every hotel, motel, b&b room within 30 miles is sold out - the Wednesday PT newspaper was saying to try Poulsbo!

As in the 200+ boats at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend starting tomorrow. Every hotel, motel, b&b room within 30 miles is sold out - the Wednesday PT newspaper was saying to try Poulsbo!

And the 500+ boats and 300,000 visitors at the biannual Hobart WoodenBoat Festival.

We are everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom