1979 Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Search didn't help since "44" is too short or too common :facepalm:

I've spent about 4 hours crawling over this particular boat:

1979 Gulfstar "44" Motor Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Just wondering if you can tell me anything that's particularly worrisome about these boat? Rolly at anchor? Cored hulls or solid frp? Weakness that need to be addressed? Expected fuel burn? Broker claims "Seller cruises at 6 knots @ 2.1 gph".

Thanks!

This article is pretty old, may or may not be the same model (43' vs 44'?) but for what it's worth, here it is. Pascoe used to be pretty rough on most production boats but gave this Gulfstar a good review.

Boat Review by David Pascoe - Gulfstar 43

Not knowledgeable enough to comment but that boat is almost all we would want in a part time live aboard. Only missing the 2nd head but the office is really nice.
Really like the stairs to the swim platform. If we don't find one with a cockpit and go with an aft cabin like this that will definitely be a must.
Looks nice in the pictures.

I've read that article, and am pretty impressed with the GS 43 MKII. This is a different boat, but funny enough they look like they have the same under water hull profile and full length keel.

Nice and roomy boat. Still deciding if it's too much, lol.

My wife and I have been living on our 78 Gulf Star 44' for 3 years in San Diego's south bay. Currently getting boat ready for the SDYC sponsored CUBAR trip to La Paz in November. Will be glad to answer any questions.

....Nice and roomy boat. Still deciding if it's too much, lol.
So, too much $, too much boat, or both?
Though it`s not a boat seen here, I readily see why it attracts your interest. Time to take a deep breath, pinch your nostrils, and jump in?

The old Gulfstars always seem to offer a lot of boat for the money. I've I've always admired them, although I've never been on one.

I'm guessing that some people are put off by the rollyness due to the very rounded hull. I expect they would have a similar motion in the water to what my boat has. This does put some people off, both underway and at anchor when there is a beam sea; and may be the reason they are often at bargain prices.

The problem may be magnified on this boat due to the salon being set up with loose furniture. It could get a little messy in there with the wrong sea state.

In protected waters this isn't much of an issue, but in rougher water I'd consider installing paravanes for a boat such as this. This would completely change the motion of this boat, and make it a joy it operate in rougher water.

Last edited:
So, too much $, too much boat, or both?
Though it`s not a boat seen here, I readily see why it attracts your interest. Time to take a deep breath, pinch your nostrils, and jump in?

A little from column 'A', a little from column 'B' ;)

There's also column 'C'. . .and that's projects. The more I've thought about it, and the more I've looked over my notes and pictures, the more the boat reminds me of my current sailboat. . .ie, the "fixer upper Pandoras Box turned nightmare psuedo-restoration endless money pit that won't be finished when I sell it and lose a lot of money" boat :eek:

I know all boats are projects, but I can mitigate how much project I choose to take on.

I did how ever send a low ball offer to the broker, one that I thought would offer value to me still if I did end up with the above nightmare. That was Wednesday? I haven't heard back yet :whistling:

Huh?

Not certain I understand all the comments. The late 70's Gulf Star 44s have "wineglass" hulls with a deep keel that allows for a "standup" engine room and decent stability on choppy seas. As far as cruising at 6 knots and burning 2.1 gals. per hour - no - we have twin Perkins 634Ts. The Curly is most comfortable at about 8.5ks and burns 4 - 5 gals per hour at that speed.

My wife and I have been living on our 78 Gulf Star 44' for 3 years in San Diego's south bay. Currently getting boat ready for the SDYC sponsored CUBAR trip to La Paz in November. Will be glad to answer any questions.

I've always wanted to do the CUBAR but my GS 36 has a hull speed of just under 7 knots and the CUBAR used to require a minimum cruise speed of 8 knots. Do you know if there is any flexibility in the cruising speed requirement?

By the way, I'm located on Harbor Island, maybe I'll see you on the bay.

As to the GS 44, I thought the 43 has a full displacement hull and the 44 was semi-planing. The full displacement hull is round and does roll but it hasn't bothered me.

Speed question was the same as I asked organizers. Turns out they do not travel in any kind of flotilla or formation. Everyone just leaves when they are ready. On the first leg, for example, SD to Ensenada, they hope most boats will arrive late afternoon or early evening so all will adjust departure times to make that schedule depending on projected speeds. Most slower boats will leave the harbor about 6 am or whatever, faster boats even as late as near mid-day. We plan to leave about 8 am so that, if all goes well, we should arrive Ensenada about 4 pm or so. Hope this is helpful.

Did you give up on this boat? If so, why? What were the projects that needed to be completed?

Yep! To many what-ifs. . .lots of engine hours, no maintenance history. Long story short, I felt the boat is getting long in the tooth and close to a full refit. I really don't want anything that resembles a fixer upper. Been there, done that with my current sailboat and am going to lose my ass when I sell, lol.

If I have the time line right. . .all the new parts listed were for the PO's that did the loop. He died. The current owners have had the boat for a year and did nothing.

Everything was winterized so I couldn't run anything. Batteries were dead, and AC wasn't plugged in so I couldn't turn anything on. Here is a good read of my self survey and thoughts. I spent about 4 hours total going over the boat.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/thoughts-self-survey-valuation-refit-costs-21857.html

I'd be willing to share any pictures I took with you, and the email I sent the broker. I told him I'd be willing to offer in the mid-upper thirties. . .he emailed me back if I was ready to make an official offer so he can start the paper work. That kind of tells me it is as bad as I think. . .

It could be a great boat with many thousands of hours and ignore the deck spots. . .or the 7000+ hr engines could pop on the way home. I just don't know and I'm not a gambler, lol.

True enough. . .though risk can be mitigated with diligence, no guarantees. I'll read through that thread later. . .I don't want to go to bed bummed out :facepalm:

Ok, read thru the thread. . .that wasn't horrible. Bad, but I went into it thinking the guys engine exploded or something, lol.

But, what he went thru is one thing I considered when I looked at this boat. Last thing I wanted to deal with right after purchase was ~$10k in HX and cleaning and turbo stuff and 6 months down time on top of other things. Still could happen with any boat though. . .

Still could happen with any boat though. . .

That is the point I was attempting to make. Do not think for a nanosecond that a couple thousand dollars worth of surveys will absolve you of immediate heartaches. Budget accordingly or be prepared to be an unhappy boat owner, I've shook hands with more than a few.

Gulfstar 44

My wife and I just purchased a bit of a fixer upper, I have some docs to share and could use whatever you have if interested. Thanks

Shane:
Have excellent review of boat from 1978. With address I will email same.

Shane:
Have excellent review of boat from 1978. With address I will email same.

My personal email is sjenkins@rockinbwireless.com and I'm happy to share my small bit of documentation I received with my boat.

I noticed the ad said under contract. . .I wonder if the lucky fella is on this board?

Hi.
Just found this thread and thought I mwould reach out to you.
We just finished our research and boat search and have purchased a GS44 -1980 located in Nashville. Plan on sharing time between our RV and the boat.
I would reaaly be interested in sharing info on your experiences with the boat and livingaboard.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom