Loran receiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
There's one in the electronics recycling pile here if anyone is interested.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I'm sure someone on eBay will buy it by the number of LORAN antennas I still see on boats. Otherwise it goes to the electronic recycle bin.

Does LORAN still broadcast???

I believe it was turned off in the U.S. Don't know about other parts of the world. I haven't used it myself since about 1985.

IF (when?) we get an EMP , Loran will be the fastest to be back in service.

It will take most of a decade to get GPS back up.

If the big shore antennas haven't been recycled , your old charts will work again.

I have my old Loran , just in case.

Just as I have a fire bottle and extra anchor ,,,just in case.

Sure "double the angle off the bow" radio fixes will still work , but its a LOT of work!

If the big shore antennas haven't been recycled , your old charts will work again.

Just as I have a fire bottle and extra anchor ,,,just in case.

Sure "double the angle off the bow" radio fixes will still work , but its a LOT of work!

If an EMP happens, there will be a lot more to worry about than GPS/Loran. Better put your aluminum foil hat on just in case. :D

Howard

Your LORAN and my Osborne-1 luggable computer will make GREAT company....in a high tech antique store.

It would take as long to get the LORAN infrastructure back on line as it would to put new GPS satellites in orbit.

Have to confess I didn't put the LORAN that came with our boat in the recycling bin. It went in the trash as I was unaware of recycling in rural Michigan. They might recycle up here....if you pay for it.

"It would take as long to get the LORAN infrastructure back on line as it would to put new GPS satellites in orbit."

Two antennas vs a couple of hundred sats?

It would only talk a old freighter ,a rocket from N Korea and a small nuke from Packistan to take down a bunch of US electronica.

Even a Lear at 55,000 on the north east coast would be a big headache..

Hopefully the old paper output depth sounder will still work,for Contour Nav.

Last edited:
Two antennas vs a couple of hundred sats?

I believe there were 24 LORAN stations in the US including Alaska and Hawaii. We also operated LORAN stations outside the the US as I remember a USCG LORAN station in Okinawa when I lived there. Each station required coastie manpower and infrastructure. Canada also operated LORAN stations providing navigation in North America as did Russia.

Since inception 70 GPS sats have been launched. Not all of them are still operational. GPS requires a minimum of 24 sats.

Also keep in mind, GPS is far more accurate than LORAN or LORAN-C.

Is the military keeping their old LORAN hardware? Possibly some military surplus stores might have a little.

It only takes four satellites to get a 3-D fix, although you wouldn't get continuous coverage. I think the original constellation was 12 satellites. As far as the EMP everyone seems to worry about, the satellites on the opposite side of the Earth probably would be unaffected. There are also ways to radiation harden electronics. The DOD knows.

Paul

If GPS dies, I'll have to go back to relying only on binoculars, compass, and paper charts. Done that for years without a depth finder or radar, piloting in the San Francisco estuary (bay/delta).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom