10.5 Knots in a 44' FD Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
The 2.8 knots flooding through Port Townsend Canal helped a wee bit:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441822900.054174.jpg
Heck, I'm only running at 1100 rpm today, might have been able to hit 11!

The fastest SOG we ever recorded in our big, heavy, slow 7 knot girl was 13.4 riding the flood through Cattle Pass. Got a bit too squirrly at the end, though. We nearly got thrown completely sideways a couple times!

We've hit 11.5 in the Port Townsend canal before, but for some reason we typically transit that thing against the current. We're more used to making 4.5 through there... Enjoy it when you can!

Tide can be a wonderful thing. I hit 10 knots on my 32' FD cruiser heading into Somes Sound with the tide last Friday. Of course I was only doing 4.8 on the way out two hours later. Nominal no current speed was around 7.2 knots.

Ha, you guys are wimps until you hit 15 kts going through Hell Gate in the East River in New York City at full ebb, Wow what a great ride. Then right down the river at 10 -12 kts.

Nu uh! Youse guys are wimps until you've gone through Seymour Narrows at full flood or ebb. The narrows alone can hit 16 knots! So theoretically 7 knot slow boats could be doing 23 knots!!!! OK, so I wouldn't actually try that...

We went through the "Narrows" (St Lawrence River near Quebec) last Christmas eve on a fair tide an hit 18 plus knots from a 13 kt boat. I did have a screen shot from our Nobeltec with the speed displayed, but I erased it from phone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom