Mainship mechanical throttle installation, modern 34T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Red Knot
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
I am going to put mechanical controls on my Mainship 2006 34 Trawler from the flybridge helm only replacing the electronic controls. I would appreciate input and advice from anyone who has done this on a 2003 to 2008 34T. Specifically:

How did running the cables from the flybridge to the engine room go? Is there a good path available?

How long was the cable that you ran?

What make and model control handle unit did you install?

Any other issues or advice you can share?

Thanks very much.

Harlen

I know that boat, having owned one in the late 2000s. The cable control routing from the upper helm down to the engine room will be rather tortuous. From the helm you will go to the starboard side chase where all of the wiring goes down to the lower helm and into the engine room. The real problem will be when the fish tape gets down past the lower helm and above the fuel tanks. It will be very difficult to make the turn aft into the engine room. Maybe you can catch it with a longish pole with a hook and pull it aft.

I would suggest getting whoever is going to install it to run a pull cord first before ordering cables or disconnecting the electronic controls to make sure it is doable.

David

Cable chases are designed to accomodate shift/throttle cables and the gentle curves needed. If boat was designed for electronic controls, you may be getting into a huge can of worms.

Follow Dave's advice and pull a fish tape through first to make sure it is possible at all.

Go get a dead cable from a boatyard and route it. Then use that to measure length needed.

What is wrong with the electronic controls? They are not my preference, but in this case it may be best to get it working.

Further to Ski's point, there may be enough room outboard of the fuel tanks to route the cable and have a decent radius. All of the electrical cables from the upper and lower helms take this path as well as the plumbing from the starboard side shower. The problem will be the narrow space between the outside of the fuel tank and the hull. You only have a few inches to work with and is already packed with wire and plumbing as I recall.

So try it first.

David

Greetings,
A question for those who are familiar with this particular model of Mainship. Would it be possible and easier to feed a length of PVC water pipe along the intended path the cables will take and THEN feed the cables through your already in place PVC conduit?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
Regarding the electronic controls, the main control box has failed and it would cost $2,600 to replace it. So going mechanical will be a lot less expensive if it can be done.
I know that a number of owners replaced the unit during the 2000s when a bad relay caused some problems and they decided to switch to mechanical.
I will let you all know how it goes.

Harlen

Back
Top Bottom