A boat for Mark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carey--- Wrong discussion for this but you gotta tell these folks about your "portable" power and water connection.

Marin wrote:

Carey--- Wrong discussion for this but you gotta tell these folks about your "portable" power and water connection.
MarinI think a photo would be required, but remind me when we're at Sucia.*
biggrin.gif

Carey wrote:

We had reservationplans at a hotel/marina in Victoria for an August weekend, and as I passed there a couple weeks beforehand, I noticed only seventy and eighty footers throughout the marina. Imagining we would appear so small amongst them, I had my wife make us a sign to go over our vessel name on the transom. It read "Tender to", in the same colors as the vessel name. As it turned out, the prior weekend had been a fluke, and the weekend we were there was mostly same size vessels to our own.*
furious.gif

This "big" boat leaving Victoria, BC towing its "tender" may have been one of smaller ones you saw.

232323232%7Ffp538%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B8%3A4336nu0mrj

markpierce wrote:

Carey wrote:

We had reservationplans at a hotel/marina in Victoria for an August weekend, and as I passed there a couple weeks beforehand, I noticed only seventy and eighty footers throughout the marina. Imagining we would appear so small amongst them, I had my wife make us a sign to go over our vessel name on the transom. It read "Tender to", in the same colors as the vessel name. As it turned out, the prior weekend had been a fluke, and the weekend we were there was mostly same size vessels to our own.*
furious.gif

This "big" boat leaving Victoria, BC towing its "tender" may have been one of smaller ones you saw.

232323232%7Ffp538%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B8%3A4336nu0mrj
My plan was to say that our big boat drew too much water to come in, so we had left it at anchor in the Strait of Juan De Fuca.

I think this is a closeup of the same "Big Boat" taken last summer in Squirrel Cove. Nice lines.

Attachments

• dsc_0916.jpg
    dsc_0916.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 125
I have always liked lifeslings. I think they make a lot more sense than rings, especialy for getting a hypothermic victim aboard. Unfortunately, the Coast Guard doesn't approve them, so you also have to carry a ring, and if your boat is bigger, with a self illuminating light, and with a 15m floating line. So the Lifesling is relegated to the options list, not the necessaries. We (CCGA inspectors) do approve the lifesling as a stand alone throwing line, so long as its line is long enough.

markpierce wrote:

An office?* Maybe*you're why the standard saloon option includes a desk.* A fellow in Seattle is also having a Coot built.* Instead of a desk, he's getting a house-sized freezer/refrigerator.
Here's a photo of my Coot looking to the forward section of the saloon, with the desk to the left.* (Wood finishing isn't complete.)

ry%3D400

koliver wrote:

I have always liked lifeslings. I think they make a lot more sense than rings, especialy for getting a hypothermic victim aboard. Unfortunately, the Coast Guard doesn't approve them, so you also have to carry a ring, and if your boat is bigger, with a self illuminating light, and with a 15m floating line. So the Lifesling is relegated to the options list, not the necessaries. We (CCGA inspectors) do approve the lifesling as a stand alone throwing line, so long as its line is long enough.
Why does West Marine say this about the Lifesling 2 and 3*on its internet catalog: "USCG Type: Type V which substitutes for a Type IV"?

markpierce wrote:koliver wrote:
Why does West Marine say this about the Lifesling 2 and 3*on its internet catalog: "USCG Type: Type V which substitutes for a Type IV"?My guess is because it is actually classified as a Type V, which means it is designed and approved for a specific purpose (shown on it's label), but it meets the requirement that every vessel over 16' is required to carry a Type IV throwable device.

First leg of transatlantic trip has begun.

Attachments

• img_4030.jpg
    img_4030.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 136
  • img_4039.jpg
    img_4039.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 136
  • img_4064.jpg
    img_4064.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 136
Mark:
From the pictures, it looks like your Coot has a ship all to herself. Is she expecting any companions? If not, how economical is shipping such a small cargo in a huge ship? If she is expecting companions, either similar or of totally different character, how will the other cargo be boarded without your Coot being in the way, and potentially damaged?

Pretty sure that is not the ocean crossing ship but a feeder service to the main line so " Coot will be loaded/unloaded again en route

Bob

Bob is correct.* The small ship is taking the Coot to the main harbor, to be later transferred to a bigger ship for the voyage from Hong Kong to Oakland.

i was wondering too since you mentioned transatlantic but really you probably meant transpacific.. unless it is going all the way around the other way and thru the canal, but i figure thats unlikely..

is she 100% complete now?

Per wrote:
i was wondering too since you mentioned transatlantic but really you probably meant transpacific.. unless it is going all the way around the other way and thru the canal, but i figure thats unlikely..

is she 100% complete now?
*too often I say the opposite of intended: left vs. right, east vs. west, etc.

Yes, she's completed.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 21st of April 2011 02:08:21 PM

Attachments

• side front.jpg
    side front.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 128
you must be very very excited..
look forward to your reports and photos once she arrives.

Pretty exciting stuff!

did ya know a groop*of coots is called a COVERT.

As in operations?

Pierce. Mark Pierce.

Shaken not stired.

SD

Tell me about it.* Keeping fingers crossed.* The Coot still has to go half way 'round the world and survive several more crane movements.

img_49543_0_cc037b0bc12cdfea7aada09aa70b148d.jpg

img_49543_1_d67d6c950c2c1694bec0a9d316f16d9e.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 21st of April 2011 04:44:16 PM

An 11-foot dinghy prototype for its Bay Area designer is a stowaway.

Attachments

• hitchhiker.jpg
    hitchhiker.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 153
markpierce wrote:nomadwilly wrote:

*and it has a stupid simulated funnel just like the Eagle.
My Coot will also have that "stupid simulated funnel."* I was thinking of asking the builder not be install one, but I learned that's where the propane tank is placed.

*Here the false stack has been removed to show the propane connections.

Attachments

• propane.jpg
    propane.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 142
Mark:

I can't thank you enough for bringing the Forum along for the ride. It's been, for me, the most interesting part of the Forum since you started this project. We get to see the whole process, pimples and all. (We do see all the pimples and warts don't we?)*
handshake.gif

You're welcome, Walt.* It's great to have a forum where we can share each other's joy.* And thanks to members providing opinions and advice which aided my*decisions on the Coot's construction.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 21st of April 2011 06:56:08 PM

Are you still considering Vallejo marina? I'm on K-dock at the south end of the marina. The world is getting smaller!

Ray, a visit to the Vallejo Municipal Marina is on*my list of "to dos" this month.

I just reread all the posts about Mark's boat (which gives you and idea how exciting my life is) and can't believe the interest it's generated in me. It is one good looking trawler with many of the features I like in a boat. The profile is very "salty", heavy duty rails, lots of wood in the interior, North Sea windshield, stainless anchor guard on the bow, single engine (and the right size) etc, etc, etc. And all this at 35' with a steel hull!

I'm envious as hell! (But very happy for Mark.)

Attachments

• coot.jpg
    coot.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 133
The Coot is built in Zhuhai, China (near Hong Kong) by Searhorse Marine which is well known for its Diesel Ducks.* Seahorse is owned by Bill Kimley who used to boat in the SF Bay Area.

When I ordered the Coot the base price was $199,000.** I had about $23,000 in extra-cost options (mostly $7500 for the bow thruster and $8500 for the steadying sail rig).* My shipping costs haven't been finalized, but should be around $30,000.* And of course there is the additional $20,000 or so of California use tax for me.* There will also be customs charges.* Subsequently the list price was raised to $220,000, but now the website shows "call" for the price.**There are a lot of items included in the basic price such as water* heater, stove, refrigerator, etc., etc., but the windlass now costs $2300 extra according to the website.* The engraved*documentation number plaque*and boat's name on stern were provided free.* The multiple-color paint scheme was also done without cost to me.

http://www.seahorseyachts.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=682952&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=seahorsemarine&&ywo=seahorsemarine&

Based on recent photos, it's coming with unexpected no-cost*extras such as exterior water faucets, life jackets, swim platform (listed as an extra-cost option), a stool for the desk, and a hose with spray nozel.* My goodness, there are even file dividers in the desk drawer!* I'll expect to find more when I examine the boat first hand.My Coot is complete except for commissioning which Bill Kimley will help do when the boat arrives in Oakland.

There is a financial reward for me if you purchase a Coot and mention my name.

I appreciate your interest and comradeship.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 22nd of April 2011 11:12:18 AM

Attachments

• xtra4.jpg
    xtra4.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 143
  • xtra6.jpg
    xtra6.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 135
  • xtra7.jpg
    xtra7.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 159
  • xtra3.jpg
    xtra3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 141
  • life jackets.jpg
    life jackets.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 136
SeaHorse II wrote:
Mark:

I can't thank you enough for bringing the Forum along for the ride. It's been, for me, the most interesting part of the Forum since you started this project. We get to see the whole process, pimples and all. (We do see all the pimples and warts don't we?)*
handshake.gif
*Walt, you beat me to it.* Following the process with Mark has been fascinating.* I ordered a trawler built in Tiawan*at the Blue Seas Yard in 1981.* It came in as ordered, but it was much harder to get progress updates.* However the boat was good, and we enjoyed it.* It looks like Mark will have many years of great cruising ahead.

You are a gentleman, Mark.* Thanks for taking us along.

YM (YM?) Cypress has been engaged to take the Carquinez Coot to the USA, leaving May 8 and arriving in Oakland, CA on May 27.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom