My anchor setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Had a PM about my setup, couldn't seem to reply with pic using app, so posting here.

Kolstrand hydraulic windlass, 250' of 1/2" galvanized 6x26 EIPS wire rope, 100' of 3/8" hi-test chain, 40kg Rocna.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441733058.292711.jpg

Is it painted or powder coated?

Had any issues w the wire?

I also have a wire rope clamp-on brake for attaching a snubber. And note the deck fill to the right of the windlass - that goes to a bow tank turned into a chain locker for a spare 400' 3/4" nylon and chain rode (though I have not fully configured that) using either a 30kg Bruce or a Fortress FX-55. I have a third 180' 3/4" rode in a bag in the hold.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441735553.889121.jpg

Have you tried the snubber with the grip? Neat idea, just wondering if it might kink the wire rope.

Have you tried the snubber with the grip? Neat idea, just wondering if it might kink the wire rope.

I have not tried it. But these devices are used to tension power lines and - according to Washington Chain - by Seattle Fire Department in life safety situations.

Oh, I know, I've used them to reave cranes and pull cable. Sometimes they crimp on pretty tight though. I've never tried a prussik or klemheist on a wire rope, I suspect they would just slip, not sure what the alternative would be. I like the outside of the yacht box thinking though.

Oh, I know, I've used them to reave cranes and pull cable. Sometimes they crimp on pretty tight though. I've never tried a prussik or klemheist on a wire rope, I suspect they would just slip, not sure what the alternative would be. I like the outside of the yacht box thinking though.
Ah, I think I see what you're getting at now. Curiously my Klein Havens 1625-20 (working load 8K lbs) has radiused edges, but the ones I see online are squared off. I really don't know what the permanent effect would be on the wire (21,400 breaking strength) of using it. In my mind it's just something to have in my kit if I end up in a situation where surge is straightening out my entire rode and threatening to dislodge the anchor or damage my deck equipment. I love the latch that lets me add or remove it any point.

In my mind it's just something to have in my kit if I end up in a situation where surge is straightening out my entire rode and threatening to dislodge the anchor.

I would agree that it is best to minimize the use of the clamp unless needed, but certainly not on a daily basis. Just based on my experience in the construction industry, eventually it could lead to premature failure when the wire is stressed to its limits. Perhaps the "limits" may never be reached by your vessel, but if Hurricane Katrina or Andrew swing by your neighborhood one day…

Your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't, oh hell, forget I said anything. That's impressive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom