What type of Long Range Vessel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as I know for Coastal Cruising the furthest places in North America for fuel are:

Turtle Bay Baja to Cabo Baja at something just over 400NM, BUT fuel is available 1/2 way there at Mag Bay.

Yakutat Alaska to Seward Alaska at 310 NM or Yakutat Alaska to either Whittier, or Cordova Alaska at 260NM.

I have not found anywhere in North America that is over 160NM where you could not safely sit out bad weather.

In and from Alaska our longest legs were Kodiak to Sitka and Sitka to Port Angeles but those both could have been avoided. The longest we found no way around, and perhaps someone else has, was Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas. If I recall correctly, that's about 680 nm. There may be a way to get fuel by truck in between. We didn't need it so didn't research it.

I wanted to get others opinion. I am a MN guy that is moving from the river, selling my Carver 350 Mariner. My plan is to sell my house, and most everything and purchase a 50' range long range yacht to port out of San Diego and cruise long range. I want to be able to go from Cabos or Costa Rica to Alaska and hopefully some day go through the canal and into the Bahamas area. Oh I should also add, that I need to be able to operate this by myself as I will not have a crew or others with me.

I think to this point your plan is great. I've not quoted the part about specific boats because I think you need to do a bit more first. I'd recommend a charter or two of boats in the 50' range. They may not be the brand you're considering but the way to see what you like and don't like about them as boats and as homes.

I think most 50' boats are fairly easy to single hand. Just make sure access is good. Side decks become more important in single handing.

One of the biggest questions is going to be speed vs. economy. You need to determine (chartering will help) what speeds you're comfortable with. Now, as to brands, I think the one's you're looking at merit consideration. My personal choice for an older boat generally is Hatteras. But there are many other good boats. If the speed or lack of is ok with you then many full displacement boats come into play. If not, then you'll need a sea worthy semi-displacement (or semi-planing) boat.

I agree on the value of space as a live aboard. I'd absolutely want a nice aft deck and a flybridge. However, you spend more time than you may think indoors so it's all important. How much you cook will certainly influence you.

In and from Alaska our longest legs were Kodiak to Sitka and Sitka to Port Angeles but those both could have been avoided. The longest we found no way around, and perhaps someone else has, was Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas. If I recall correctly, that's about 680 nm. There may be a way to get fuel by truck in between. We didn't need it so didn't research it.

Turtle Bay has fuel, as well as Mag Bay.

Furthest place in North America is crossing the Gulf of Alaska. 260NM

Turtle Bay has fuel, as well as Mag Bay.

Furthest place in North America is crossing the Gulf of Alaska. 260NM

Thanks for the information. Not pertaining to the coastal discussion but for those cruising rivers the lower Mississippi has 382 miles between Memphis and the ICW.

I just located the fuel at Turtle Bay. Is Magdalena Bay by truck or a marina or fuel dock I can't find. Not questioning you at all, just trying to update my knowledge.

Last edited:
Longest distance is not the sole factor. You may face headwinds or may be required to divert. Also I have seen where the expected fuel stop was out of fuel or not operating.

In North America almost any trawler would make the distances involved.

It is true that there are about 382 miles between Memphis and the ICW but fuel is available in Natchez, Vicksburg, and Red Stick, to name a few. I went from Gulf Shores, Ala. to Belize and back (2,500 n.m.) without the need to refuel although it was available in Mex. and Belize.

I suggest you spend some time researching the differences in lifestyles provided by a 55ft boat and a 42 ft boat.

The larger boats have advantages, especially if you are cruising up and down the west coast or going to the South Pacific. However, everything on a boat is a compromise. Larger boats cost more to maintain, moor and store. You will also find that on the east coast a 55ft+ vessel will put you out of the mainstream of cruisers in the transient docks and many anchorages. The social aspect of cruising is important to many of us and the larger boats seem to be on the margins in this aspect.

Anyway just something to think about.

Building on this thought (and from a conversation we've had here on our docks), the folks here who make up the Fleming fleet... for example... don't wander across the Bay on the spur of the moment just to have steamed crabs for lunch at the local watering holes.

We can do that routinely, with only a few of the nearby dock restaurants kind of off-limits because of dock space or shallow water. (Could anchor and dinghy in, of course, but that's turning into work, just for a meal.)

Anyway, just some additional thoughts about defining the mission...

-Chris

With the cruising intentions the OP has stated, range is indeed important. He already has owned a sort range Carver and is now wanting to be free of the fuel docks in third world countries.

Many boats have been built and designed for this mission. As already suggested, many brands fit the bill. As he considers Buehler, Haterras, OA, DeFever , KK or Nordhavn the ability to remain away from a fuel dock for a month or more is desirable.

Small current engines in good shape with demonstrated TLC are a big part of the range equation. A big and workable ER combined with voluminous storage throughout is a must have for the serious cruiser. Something in the 50 range may well have double the living and storage space as a 40 footer.

Good luck, many have done what you desire with slow, comfortable and well tended vessels

The Mckinna looks like a typical 3 stateroom motoryacht. Lots of fun with a half dozen or more party people. It's almost exactly the exact opposite of what I picture as a blue water cruiser. Low bow, wide ass, no side decks, huge exposed windows, no tankage, 17 year old everything. Am I missing something?

Larry M : I agree. 1270 HP and 850 gallons of fuel.

That yacht would do just fine for what the OP asked.

He wants to Coastal Cruise.

That would be a very comfortable platform for that.

These threads tend to suffer from Scope Creep in terms of the boats intended mission. :)

While the OP did state he would be coastal cruising he stated that those "coastal" waters would be from Alaska to the Panama Canal Zone, then perhaps onward to the Bahamas. A very rough guess on fuel consumption of a 1200 HP vessel of this nature could easily be 80 gallons an hour. Thus about 10 hours of fuel on board. That will not make it down the coast of Nicaragua. No thread creep intended.

While the OP did state he would be coastal cruising he stated that those "coastal" waters would be from Alaska to the Panama Canal Zone, then perhaps onward to the Bahamas. A very rough guess on fuel consumption of a 1200 HP vessel of this nature could easily be 80 gallons an hour. Thus about 10 hours of fuel on board. That will not make it down the coast of Nicaragua. No thread creep intended.

MAN lists those engines at 29gph, but who would cruise that boat on plane while doing a long range trip?. Looks like a great boat for the bucks if someone doesn't want to do blue water.

HOLLYWOOD

I would have to give wxx3's KK 42 a thumbs up. Safe, economical, easy to single hand, and a comfortable live-aboard. Search this forum for some of his most recent adventures in this boat. I have a GB 42 1981 classic and is a great boat. Not that good for blue water though although I have done some gulf crossings. Once on board your focus from luxury might just shift to reliability if you are on the go more than just hanging out at docks.

So what does the OP want? Until
more details are provided, a very broad dream list. He has stated he is looking for a long range vessel to replace a smaller Carver and very nice house. While he is at it he wants to cruise to far off places and spend in the $200-300K range.

As usual we TF members are filling in the many blanks to coincide with our desires whether it be fuel tank capacity, anchors or dog breeds.

Thread creep is alive and well due to paucity of OP details. Keeps us interested, a good thing.

Perhaps the first thing to do is determine what is considered a "long range". In my book that, at a minimum, would be a Gulf of Mexico crossing from New Orleans to say Cancun or thereabouts. 700 nm. (in blue water).

Perhaps the first thing to do is determine what is considered a "long range". In my book that, at a minimum, would be a Gulf of Mexico crossing from New Orleans to say Cancun or thereabouts. 700 nm. (in blue water).

The problem with that thinking is that you are making the situation fit the boat you have, or some pre-concived notion of what is necessary.

To get across the Gulf Of Mexico you could make it a long journey as you indicated but that is not by any means necessary.

A direct shot from Key west to Mexico is less than 300NM, doable in almost any boat at displacement speed. Heck I know of a couple that did it in a 38' Bayliner quite safely.

Or, you could follow the ICW all the way to Brownsville Tx and hop into Mexico there.

The OP asked about a boat that could go from Alaska to Mexico and perhaps beyond. That trip is easily within reach of almost any Coastal Cruiser.

Would extra fuel capacity be nice, yes of course it would be nice. Is it necessary, no it is not.

There are some advantages to a boat with a little speed capacity as well. For example what a FD boat might need an overnight passage to make, a SD boat can do during daylight hours. Something to think about when in unknown waters. Its pretty hard for example to avoid the local fishermans crab traps at night. During the day you can see the hazards and avoid them better.

Last edited:
He also added single handed operation, cruise from south of Mexico to Alaska, and "safe". And a budget of $300K.

So...south pretty much tells me 24hr AC and generator. Alaska tells me a 24hr source of heat (furnace with multi-cabin distribution). That particular McKinna has AC and generator but no furnace. It also has a 65lb plow and 200' of chain - no way is that sufficient for cruising north (I'm not as familiar with south). And as I pointed out previously, very marginal deck access. Could that boat carry enough fuel to make those contemplated trips? Maybe, at low speed with careful planning and no extended stops with generator running. But there's also only 270 gallons of water - I don't know what "luxurious" means to the OP but that sound like water rationing or the addition of a watermaker.

The McKinna referenced also offers no internal handholds. The one small positive is that the galley arrangement would keep the cook from flying around too much when rolling. Which brings up the issue of stabilization - this boat has none. That could cost $25K plus for active stabilization and wouldn't address stabilization at anchor.

Nothwithstanding Kevin being able to make calculated dashes in the Gulf of Alaska with a "motoryacht" style vessel, I truly feel it would be irresponsible for members of this forum to give a thumbs up to this style of boat for "long distance" blue water cruising.

The OPs question is quite easily answered. Keep a lookout for a well tended Nordhavn 46. While the OP is at it read the logs of the N46 Egret.

Kevin corrected me on the one area I was not aware of fuel capabilities. Therefore, while I'd prefer more fuel, I don't see a problem with his 1270 hp and 850 gallons. I would think he'd have a safe range at 1000 rpm of 600 nm and at 1500 rpm of 400 nm. He could reduce speed a little more for a little more range. New Orleans to Cancun is about 560-600 nm but there are plenty of alternatives to that. You can follow the coast or short cut to Key West as Kevin also pointed out. Cancun to Key West is about 350 nm. Isla Mujeres to Key West about 330 nm.

Still I think he's jumping the gun in evaluating boats and needs to more carefully evaluate his requirements first.

Ksanders: I provided in my opinion what I thought to be a minimum for the term "long range" the OP will have to determine what he thinks of or requires in that same term. I would also suggest you check your navigation equipment. Unless they moved Key West and/or Mexico it is a distance of well over 300 nm, at least it was the last few times that I made that trip. Which by the way is against the currents. A bayliner burning 10 gals per hour @ 14 knots and a 300 gallon tank would be seriously close to running out of fuel during that trip.

The 700 nm distance from New Orleans to Cancun was just my own determination of what I would consider "long range" it was based on a straight line between two points which is usually the closest distance. Yes, I could take the ICW to Brown Town and enter and continue down the coast of Mexico- not too many fuel stops along that route once you get in Mexico.
The OP mentioned heading to the Panama Canal Zone down the West Coast. Once you pass Corinto, Nic. the fuel availability to the Zone is very scarce. Been there done that.
While many in U.S. waters undertaking "coastal cruising" are fortunate to be able to obtain fuel and water rather easily it is not to be expected throughout the world.

Once again check your nav. on distances from Key West to Yucatan.

Safe travels.

Might want to walk and talk to the commercial trawler docks and yards as they travel hundreds of miles for shore in all kinds of weather. At least you will get to idea of the kind and fitting out of the boat. Many of the know thought of long range trawler started out making comercial boats trawlers that also made pleasure or turned to pleasure as the small comercial declined.

We are moored on a commercial dock with the commercial boats trawler. Its not the super structure look that is important buy the running gear, hull and how heavy strong the they are. A commercial blue wswater boat will weight twice as much as a pleasureand the reason the costs more and fewer of them.

The comercial trawler are coming back from Alaska and unloading their nets gear right in front of our boat? They have back up for the back up, and they know how to repair most things on the boat. They try to keep things as basic and simple as possible.

OH, their anchors are 100+ lbs and 200+ ft of chain. Our anchors are 75 and 95 lbs with all chain.

That's a lot of boat but I'm not sure for how long a range with only 850 gallons. of fuel You'd have to up the anchor with only a 65 lb plow type and 200' of chain. :hide:

Last edited:
OK, I stand corrected, 330 NM Geez :facepalm:

What I am trying to point out, and it is a valid point... is that the OP asked for long range then described his intended cruising area. Long range in the context of what he was asking for is long range for the entire trip, not long range between ports.

We can make Coastal Cruising more difficult than necessary. We can make it require a more substantial boat than necessary.

Or we can look at it based on the facts, which are that fuel is available, and ports actually exist along the way.

And... prudent sailors are capable of making the trip in almost any boat they choose, quite safely and comfortably.

I think the boat he pointed out would be a very comfortable, capable boat for what he is intending to do. Of course he would need to replace his anchor, and ffit the boat out as he sees fit for his intended cruising range. Thats a given.

Last edited:
What I am trying to point out, and it is a valid point... is that the OP asked for long range then described his intended cruising area. Long range in the context of what he was asking for is long range for the entire trip, not long range between ports.
:iagree:That was my interpretation of the OP's statement.

Ksanders: I provided in my opinion what I thought to be a minimum for the term "long range" the OP will have to determine what he thinks of or requires in that same term. I would also suggest you check your navigation equipment. Unless they moved Key West and/or Mexico it is a distance of well over 300 nm, at least it was the last few times that I made that trip. Which by the way is against the currents. A bayliner burning 10 gals per hour @ 14 knots and a 300 gallon tank would be seriously close to running out of fuel during that trip.

The 700 nm distance from New Orleans to Cancun was just my own determination of what I would consider "long range" it was based on a straight line between two points which is usually the closest distance. Yes, I could take the ICW to Brown Town and enter and continue down the coast of Mexico- not too many fuel stops along that route once you get in Mexico.
The OP mentioned heading to the Panama Canal Zone down the West Coast. Once you pass Corinto, Nic. the fuel availability to the Zone is very scarce. Been there done that.
While many in U.S. waters undertaking "coastal cruising" are fortunate to be able to obtain fuel and water rather easily it is not to be expected throughout the world.

Once again check your nav. on distances from Key West to Yucatan.

Safe travels.

Thread creep alert!

How is the Gulf coast of Mexico as far as safety, marinas, fuel, protected spots to anchor?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone here on TF talk about, and it interests me as it's about 115nm south down the ICW.

As the OP of this thread, I am blown away at the great opinions and insights from everyone that has commented. THANK YOU. It has actually helped me a lot. It sounds like first off I maybe have not described "long range" very well. It sounds like I will be hugging the coasts often, however I want to know that I can make a longer hop. I want to have a boat that could do more than my original intention as we all know - our needs grow and we want to do more. My challenge is that I will probably be "living" and coastal hoping more than I will be offshore long distances. However I do not want to invest 300k-400k into a boat that is incapable of anything more than a fun weekend.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback on the McKinna. I have not considered things like the anchor weight.

Here are some things that seem to be important (please fill in the gaps as I KNOW I will miss things). As you can see there are a mixture of things that many of you will not find important as it caters to living amenities vs cruising.

- Watermaker
- Fuel polisher
- Stabilizers
- Redundancy if possible
- Trash compactor
- Washer/Dryer
- Dishwasher
- Nice saloon for indoor living
- 2 large staterooms
- Large cockpit if possible
- Outdoor living space

Here are two other boats I have looked at in addition to the McKinna. One is the Ocean Alexander and the other is a Mikelson (which is a long range sport fisher - 1000 gal fuel). I am pretty sure everyone will agree that the OA is a better boat of the two below. However my fear is that I can not get into a purchasing position before it gets sold - and it truly is a one of a kind.

Ocean Alexander 52'
1995 Ocean Alexander Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mikelson 50'
1997 Mikelson Sportfisher Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here are two other boats I have looked at in addition to the McKinna. One is the Ocean Alexander and the other is a Mikelson (which is a long range sport fisher - 1000 gal fuel). I am pretty sure everyone will agree that the OA is a better boat of the two below. However my fear is that I can not get into a purchasing position before it gets sold - and it truly is a one of a kind.

If you lose one, there are others. When you're ready, then you'll find the perfect boat and purchase it. Meanwhile you'll get more comfortable with what fits you.

I would consider all the items you listed as desirable. Ultimately you'll figure out which items are preferred and which are deal breakers.

Thread creep alert!

How is the Gulf coast of Mexico as far as safety, marinas, fuel, protected spots to anchor?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone here on TF talk about, and it interests me as it's about 115nm south down the ICW.

Wonderful area. Many places to anchor, marinas are less expensive than the Atlantic Coast Intercoastal. Many more barges. At the western end can circle north of New Orleans and visit the city. Mobile and Fairhope on Mobile Bay are great places to visit.

The west coast of Florida from Tampa to Naples is filled with Midwesterners. Fairly friendly.

One jump although not required is approximately 120nm to cut across the big bend on the Florida Panhandle. You can hop the coast but it does get shallow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom