• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: WTB Detroit Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunker7

Veteran Member
Looking for a turbo for the 8.2l Detroit. Needing complete plumbing as well

If your wanting to find all of these parts to add to a naturally aspirated 8.2, my experience with these is the NA units live a much longer life. The turbo units had a lot of problems with head gaskets and bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Not the case. I need a spare turbo. Both are already turbocharged. Wanting to get a spare for the loop in a few years.

Man these things are tough to find.

1986 Mainship DC

"Wanting to get a spare for the loop in a few years. "

Good idea , much of the loop is regulated to 10klicks , about 6 mph.

The low power required may easily gunk the turbo.

Have you tried Diesel Pros or Gold Coast Power? You don't mention your location, better yet, have you tried your local MTU / Detroit distributor ? You need to make sure you get the right one, there are a variety of turbos for the same engine depending on HP and rating. Run the boat up to speed for 10-20 minutes every day or so and it won't get gunked up. 90% of the loop allows this. Turbos are expensive, and if cared for, very reliable; it never once occurred to me to pack a spare. Have a good mechanic check them and the engines out before departure.

You may also want to check with Erik at Marine Diesel Service (MDS) in Costa Mesa CA. He posts in the 8.2 forum on boatdiesel.com and has helped me with a couple of questions and parts on mine.

Thankfully no issues with my turbos yet, I have done all my cruising lately at trawler speeds so will make sure i goose it a little more often :)

We would like to do the loop a couple of years down the road and difficulty with parts and mechanics for the 8.2's is a little concerning. I picked up a couple of the exhaust elbows from peninsular with the same thing in mind to have extras on hand.

Good luck - and let us know if you find a good parts source!

I'm thinking now to have an adapter plate fabricated to replace the turbo and still allow exhaust.

Thoughts?

Depends , on some turboed engines the compression ratio is lowered, some not.

Check with DD if you want to toss it .

Truthfully the turbo was locked up for a long time. I motored for a month not knowing it because I never got above 2200 rpm. I know the engine runs without it just not at its best. The adaptor would be a "get to a port" solution and not a permanent fix. Should be simple. "Should be" the key phrase.

Also of importance is that if the turbo didn't ingest anything harmful to cause a come-apart then just lower your RPM and keep going.
I pulled my turbo off in June thinking I could have it rebuilt in a couple of weeks.
Not the case.
That's why I want options if this happens again.
The engines themselves are absolute beasts and run great.

Found!!!!

Bought a turbo with a 1 year warranty, no core charge From superior turbo in Detroit. 1700.00 !!!!!!its in the mail.

They mill out the housing to accept a Borg Warner cartridge.

Call and talk to Craig. He said he will have 3 more finished in 2 weeks. Did I mention no core charge?

Found!!!!

Bought a turbo with a 1 year warranty, no core charge From superior turbo in Detroit. 1700.00 !!!!!!its in the mail.

You're welcome !

Found!!!!

Good info. I'm curious if the old turbine section was damaged such that it couldn't be reused? Air Research, right?

By the way, a couple of other spares I'd recommend is either an engine water pump (different than the truck engine) or a rebuild kit, and probably a fuel shut off solenoid. I also carry a spare starter, but it's a very common item.

I believed some of the phony balony dock talk about these engines ten years ago when I bought the boat (over one with Volvos) and started gathering parts. No turbo as yet, but I have a magnifluxed and decked block, set of heads, new cam, all the bearings, solenoids, turbo pistons/rings, gaskets...on and on. And in ten years I have replaced absolutely nothing on the engines except belts and some hoses. Absolute gems. Even bought the rack setting tool...looks like for no reason. By the way, MESA in Birmingham make new exhaust manifolds...stupid expensive, but available.

Back when I was shopping for a boat, I contacted Johnson and Towers who had marinized the engine in our boat. Spoke with one of the old engineers who worked the project back in the 80s. He took me through the variants and changes to the engine as they worked their way up in power. Based on that info, I've often thought about downsizing the injectors to the 220 HP size, as that's the only change from 220 to 250HP. he JT engineer said if an engine with the larger bolts didn't blow up in the first few hours...it wasn't going to (speaking of the 250).

The engines do tend to "load up" when running for hours at 8.4 knots. Thinking maybe a slightly small injector would help a little. That said, they start and run so well that I hate to mess with them. Guess I'll just keep running them up to 2500 for 5-10 minutes every couple of hours...definitely cleans up the exhaust. I've noticed that they run at about 165-170 degrees at slow cruise, and then heat up to 180-185 at 2500 with a load.

The "fuel pincher" moniker is well founded in my experienced. By the way, the folks at JT sent me their prop curves for the engine, which have proven to be quite accurate. Transmissions in our boat are MG502s with 2:1 ratio.

Love the engines...great V8 exhaust growl. Thank goodness I didn't buy one with Volvos or even 3208s.

PM me if you want to compare notes. Thank you and mbevins for the info on the turbos.

Last edited:
Great info Semi Planing

I had a lot of same conversations before we bought ours and so far so good. Love the fuel consumption at trawler speeds. Thought about buying parts too JIC - but have only picked a pair of the compatible peninsular exhaust elbows. Mine were marinized by J&T and same trans - also have original owners manual and a parts catalog if anyone ever needs something for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom