Grand Banks makes me sad....very sad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don wrote: "I had a thought on the thread about twin screw straight drives with no rudders. Oh no, we can't be going back to side wheelers."

Hah!

Perhaps and according to the National Marine Manufacturers Association, 77% of boating participants are males under 50. Only 8% of boaters are over 65. It will be interesting to see what happens to the resale market of the traditional GBs.
I believe that a "cherry" GB, (any of their models) of any decade, will always have a market. Those "under 50 year olds" of today will join the rest of us "Codgers" with an appreciation for well maintained boats. (All models) The older GBs are, in my opinion, the epitome of the classic trawler & anyone who "loves" boats will want one.:thumb:

Last edited:
Don't count us geezers out of the market yet. There are still many of us out there. I can't see the market tumbling precipitously. There will be fewer boats of the type offered. Grand Banks are solid boats with good bones. There will be a market.

For low hour per year users who stay close to home no shortage of current build boat choices.

For those of us routinely doing several thousand miles per year Twistedtree's current build list should include Offshore, North Pacific, Outer Reef and so many more. I'd add DeFever of course.

In the PNW many Sonships are long distance cruisers. Too bad they lost direction and funding a decade ago.

It seems to me GB success was largely due to Tony Fleming and they never replaced that cruising acumen at the top.

I still like the traditional GBs-- I think the 42 is great! But this just proves the point of the whole thread. I will be 62 in about a week and I guess young folks have given up on the Grandbanks Classics.

Perhaps and according to the National Marine Manufacturers Association, 77% of boating participants are males under 50. Only 8% of boaters are over 65. It will be interesting to see what happens to the resale market of the traditional GBs.

Fair point, but the numbers might be skewed just as is the total number of boats out there... The bazillions of 16-20' boats on all the lakes and so forth...

Might need slightly more detail to make a judgement, like how many of what age own boats of what size...

-Chris

...JohnP wrote: "If I were to buy one now I would need a great deal in order to handle the about to come depreciation, lack or interested buyers will hurt resale in the future."
Agree, regretfully. The best it can get is that prices stay flat...That said, a well-cared for example will always be easier / faster to sell than the other kind.
I have recently seen two GBs, an early 80s and a wooden one. The 80s is a beauty that I would consider paying a premium for because I doubt there would be any major surprises over 5 years even though the engine hours are getting up there. That the owner expects to maximize and recoup, including "not paying a damn broker 15%" is a bit of a deterrent. Even though I said I would entertain a premium, there is a reason it has been on the market for 2 years.

The woody is in what I would consider tough shape. I have not been aboard but the decks do not look good to me and the engine hours are "unknown." If it were to sell quickly, I would be surprised if they netted more than $20,000US.

I have a very realistic expectation that, if I can get into any boat for next summer, I could have 3 to 5 good years left in me. I also have a realistic expectation that any GB I can get now will be 30 or more years old in 5 years and will be a tougher sell then, than now. BUT if it is to be a GB for the short term, I feel the grin factor is worth a major equity hit over 5 years. My kids will neither want it nor be interested in the potential hassle of trying to move it so, it will get dumped and we are all ok with that.

The alternative is to lose the sentimentality, spend less or buy newer. The money I would put into a 42 or 46 GB could buy something newer, like a nice OA with no wood, that might not depreciate as much.

I hope this train of thought doesn't spoil Marins cozy cove weekend.

Last edited:
Six months ago I could have bought an early 80s GB 42 for 55k simply by clicking on the Buy It Now option on Ebay.

The boat had 120s with less than 3000hours and was a one owner boat
It had a recent awlgrip job. The owner had passed away, he had a charter business in Florida, and yes the boat was chartered.

I kind of wish I had just bought it, because now the price bar is set so low everything else looks expensive.

I could have enjoyed ownership for 10 years, depreciated it to zero and it would have been worth every penny to me.

Hindsight is 20/20
jung-charters-yacht-sales.jpg

Yachts Name is "Pyewacket"

John I always try to tell those shopping to not suffer paralysis through analysis and pull the dang trigger when the right boat comes along... Sometimes the rest of us need to follow that same advice.

The issue here is not used GBs. They are good boats, hold up over time, and when used are dirt cheap. Those are the main reasons we bought one in 1998. Were we in the market today, 17 years later, for a boat, we would not consider a used GB because our "buy a boat" budget would be larger and we would get something more in line with our preferences.

The issue here, as far as GB's survival is concerned, is new boats. And this is where the market has, in my opinion, totally turned its back on the traditional style of GB outside of those remaining older boaters in the market for a new boat who have very different definitions of what a cruising boat should be and look like than the younger generations.

We didn't buy the GB we have in the PNW with any thought of getting a dime out of it when we're done with it. If we can get permission, we'd be inclined to sink it as a fish habitat when we're done using it. Whether or not we'll be able to sell it if we want to is totally irrelevant to us. We bought it as a toy to play with and have neat experiences with on the water for as long as we want to play with it and when we're done it will (figuratively or literally, time will tell) go into the trash.

My guess is--- and it's totally a guess--- that when we are done using it pretty much nobody will want it, or at least be willing to pay much of anything for it. The folks who want this kind of boat will mostly be dead, and the folks looking to get a used boat will be looking to get the kind of boats that are being built new today. Just as I think most of the folks who are buying used GBs today are doing so because they weren't in a position to buy the same boat new when it was made.

So I think the market for new GBs in the same vein as the classic lineup that started in 1966 is basically dead, and the market for used GBs will slowly die outside of a handful of people who like them for same reason there is a relative handful of people today who like Model A Fords.

So we will continue to use our PNW GB for as long as we want to or can, after which we suspect it will be history.

Last edited:
Six months ago I could have bought an early 80s GB 42 for 55k simply by clicking on the Buy It Now option on Ebay.

The boat had 120s with less than 3000hours and was a one owner boat
It had a recent awlgrip job. The owner had passed away, he had a charter business in Florida, and yes the boat was chartered.

I kind of wish I had just bought it, because now the price bar is set so low everything else looks expensive.

I could have enjoyed ownership for 10 years, depreciated it to zero and it would have been worth every penny to me.

Hindsight is 20/20
View attachment 44100

Yachts Name is "Pyewacket"

I think that was one of the boats from Jung Charters in Sarasota. Capt. Bill here on TF could probably have told you all you would need to know about the boat. Could be a real missed opportunity.

In the end, the market will decide the price of used GB's. The experts on TF might just be surprised, or they may be correct. Only time will tell. So far, I haven't seen any well maintained, dirt cheap GB's

In the end, the market will decide the price of used GB's. The experts on TF might just be surprised, or they may be correct. Only time will tell. So far, I haven't seen any well maintained, dirt cheap GB's

And I don't think you will find any in the future. People are living longer and enjoying better health for longer. GB's o appeal to oldies. They are not making them any more. These factors will support prices near current levels.

Attached is a graph of GB 42 prices from 2011 Yachtworld listings, not sold prices. Some sellers might have had, how shall I say this nicely, more realistic expectations than others. P art of the spread also relates to condition and upgrades etc. At the time the US$, C$ and A$ were all about the same. Euro prices were converted to US$. Depending on location, the prices will have shifted a bit.

I am no longer looking at GB's, but if you are and feel inclined you could plot current listed prices as an overlay. I suspect you would find a pretty close fit. If folks spend their annual R&M budget then I think they can reasonably expect little depreciation for these boats of this age range. Assuming you are using the boat then return is priceless.

Attachments

• GB42_2011.jpg
    GB42_2011.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
"People are living longer and enjoying better health for longer. GB's appeal to oldies."

I have a GB and I'm only 73! What's this "oldies" crap? Say you're sorry and go to your room.

Howard

Well since I'm merely 63.8 you are definitely an oldie to me. Think of it as a term of endearment!

Last edited:
Very true.

I'm sad but not sympathetic. GB blew it when they stopped offering a boat w less than 1000 hp. They gave the "reasonable power" market to kadey Krogen. When I bought my current boat I intentionally sought the older style hull with relatively lower power engines (john Deere).Eventually fuel will go to $8 per gallon and few will want a 40 gph boat. I expressed these sentiments to gb a couple of years ago and their response was that big diesels were efficient at low speeds--ignoring the fact that extended operating at idle is not good for the engines. As much as I like gb, my next boat will probably be a KK. I'm admittedly not a mainstream buyer, but somewhat appalled that GB doesn't want my business....

We've been out for 2.5 days now - Seattle, Edmonds, La Conner - and I've only seen one GB, a newer 42 Europa (molded stairs in cockpit) that steamed by the La Conner marina at 8+ knots throwing the biggest wake I've seen in 30 hours here.
Not a great ambassador for the brand.

But there have been tons of Taiwanese trawlers. Some pretty scruffy, some in good shape. But I've probably seen 50 of them so far this trip.

For whatever reason there are more GBs in our harbor now than we've ever seen in the 17 years we've been here. There is still the big GB charter/dealer fleet that has always been here but now there is a whole crop of privately owned GBs in our basin, from newly arrived GB32s all the way up to GB46s.

We didn't buy the GB we have in the PNW with any thought of getting a dime out of it when we're done with it. If we can get permission, we'd be inclined to sink it as a fish habitat when we're done using it.

If you're serious, that is very sad. Why not donate it or at least sell it dirt cheap to someone who can get some more enjoyment out of it.

Why kill it just because your done playing with it.

GB aren't city folk.
Maybe go take a peek at Sucia, Stuart, Tumbo...

Uh huh - apparently they're all in Bellingham close to the dealer. Coincidence?

I've seen about a dozen KKs and 4 or 5 Nordhavns. And 2 Hatteras 58 LRCs.

Anyway now out at Partridge Bank - still haven't seen another GB.

Last edited:
Another KK under way. Heck, I've seen 2 Diesel Ducks!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441656102.851008.jpg

At our YC, there are 6 GB's. Only one, a 46 classic is for sale

At our YC, there are 6 GB's. Only one, a 46 classic is for sale

We have a 42 classic that went to our outstation at Port Ludlow this weekend and a 32 - I think that one may be for sale. But we are positively overrun with 45/47/49 Bayliner motor yachts - at least a dozen in our 105 slips. One guy with a 49 moored at the reciprocal until he could get his bow thruster fixed so he could return to his slip.

Spotted another GB near Admiralty Inlet with a major antenna farm (not transmitting AIS though)
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441660188.609241.jpg

Ok,here's another transiting south off Port Townsend. Maybe there hasn't been a mass reaping after all. :)
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441662351.731104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom