Replacing Galley Counter Tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Has anyone changed out their galley counter tops to granite. If so what was the cost? I know not all galleys are the same, but the usual rectangular galley like this one? Looking for an approximation.

Attachments

• P1016286.jpg
    P1016286.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 101
Pineapple Girl did a similar galley a couple years ago. She reported it was cheaper than she imagined. She recommend hiring an installer who couldn't spell the word boat.

If she doesn't see the thread consider sending a pm in a couple days for better feedback.

As long as all your dishes and glasses are not glass...

We have an acre of granite in the kitchen and bathrooms at home and it's really beautiful and nearly indestructible, but on a boat I'd prefer something - well, not as hard as stone. Boat lurches, I set a coffee cup down too hard, craaack. Wine glass tips over, shatters everywhere. Sure, if all our dinnerware were plastic, no problem, but we try to be civilized. If the boat never moved or rocked, I'd do granite. I know some people still do it though, to each his own.

Has anyone changed out their galley counter tops to granite. If so what was the cost? I know not all galleys are the same, but the usual rectangular galley like this one? Looking for an approximation.

You want to replace the existing solid surface top with stone?..at home there is nothing better than granite.. on a boat solid surface isca great top. What is wrong with the existing tops?
Hollywood

You would need to consider moving the helm to the opposite side to the galley :hide:

I have used artificial stone tops in my home knowen in "Australia" as Ceasarstone it can be purchased in 10mm thick sheets that can be cut to size and glued down over existing bench tops and edging can also be fitted

Last edited:
We actually just got a quote for a granite on the boat installed $48 per square foot that was the first quote

But mine is not a nice solid surface like yours

Quartz is the new "best" in terms of wear and tear , and can look like granite if you desire .

About $100 a sq ft.

W.hen I redid my countertops I considered stone but was concerned about the Movement a has. I went with Corean instead. I am so very happy with it

Quartz is the new "best" in terms of wear and tear , and can look like granite if you desire .

About $100 a sq ft.

Sounds like a quote from a quartz salesman!.

Nothing beats real granite...except on a boat the composites do really well.

Hollywood

I put granite on a new counter 2 years ago, put on 7000 miles since and never an issue, still looks good. I made a template out of 1/4 inch plywood took it to the Granite shop in Orange Beach AL. Three days later I picked it up with a buddy of mine hired three guys at the dock masters office, we slid it on board and glued it down as you can see it looks great now to get the other one done.
Oh the price was right at one boat unit, wish I could say the same for the refrigeration

.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441934965.102558.jpg

My new galley currently under construction. granite countertop, $800 Cad.
Thats about $26US :)
Self install.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 51
Menzies,

I took a stab at fabricating it myself with 3/4" material. I already a wet saw to cut the slabs with. Just had to buy water feed grinder, edge profile bit and polishing pads. All in with the grinder, polish pads, edge profile, slab, sink and faucet I was well under $1,000.00.

Shot 1 before, 2 while fabricating, 3 done.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
"Sounds like a quote from a quartz salesman!."

Nope , just a guy that reads Consumer Report and went to Home Cheapo to see for my self.

Sounds like a quote from a quartz salesman!.

Nothing beats real granite...except on a boat the composites do really well.

Hollywood

Yes Quartz has some great qualities we did the counter in the office break room $71 sf

Menzies,

I took a stab at fabricating it myself with 3/4" material.
Shot 1 before, 2 while fabricating, 3 done.
Rob

Rob
Nice work... undermount sink and all!!

Rob
Nice work... undermount sink and all!!

Thanks. But I have to come clean. I've worked in the family tile and flooring business since age 5, 54 years.

Rob

After a lot of research we did corian. I want to say it was around a thousand dollars. We have two of those under counter storage areas and I like that the corian covers to those are so light. In my research I found some reports of those breaking when made of granite or Quartz. But I think you should do whatever floats your boat. :). If you don't like how it is, it doesn't matter if there is "nothing wrong with it". One of the contractors who bid on a job at our home was horrified we wanted to rip out a "new" bathroom done by the prior owner. We did not hire him. :) good luck

After a lot of research we did corian.

Corian here. :thumb: We looked at granite and a few others surfaces and picked Corian. We had a large L and couldn't do it in one piece. Also having someone local who had worked with Corian and a full on wood shop helped. The Corian for the galley and head was $1500. New fixtures, sink and taking care of Jeff was another $1500. We used door skin in 2 or 3" width strips and a glue gun to make templates. The Corian was overlaid onto he Formica after prep. It took a week from start to finish once we started removing fixtures and had all the materials.

We brought the teak for the fiddles from Trinidad. It's plantation teak and were able to get a few pieces 6' or under with no knots. Milled and planed to 2" x 1/2", air dried 30 linier feet was $50.

Do it again? Yes! :)

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 4f.jpg
    4f.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 4g.jpg
    4g.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 4j.jpg
    4j.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 4la.jpg
    4la.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 46
Larry, that last pic show some real attention to detail.

And what a deal on the teak!

Very nice work.

Dunno. My boat came equipped with stone counter tops in kitchen and bathroom. Ordered the type with a lip at the edge rather than just flat.

ok i was wondering is North Korean or South better just curious

Back
Top Bottom