Relocating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conall63

Vessel Name
Homegrown
Vessel Make
Roberts TY 43
Greetings all,

We sold our house in New Richmond, Ohio a few months ago, and have moved to Cape Coral, Florida. I'm splitting time between Ohio and Florida while finishing some work I'm obligated too complete. I'm l living on the boat while in Ohio.

Sometime around mid October, I'm pointing the boat south and heading to the northern Gulf coast around the Pensacola area. Over the thanksgiving break, we're going to take a week long family vacation moving the boat a little further east. For another week, during the kids winter break, we are going to move more further east, and leave the boat somewhere around Apalachicola or Carrabelle. I plan on leaving her in this area for the jumping off point on her move to Cape Corral, which should happen sometime in January.

So I have a few questions. I've been reading active captain and other resources looking at various marinas in the northern gulf coast. There's a lot of choices, and any insight as to affordable, decent places to leave the boat both in November around Pensacola, and again in December around Apalachicola / Carrabelle would be much appreciated. I'm new to Active Captain, but I will say it seems to be a pretty good resource that's designed for exactly what I'm doing.

After the holidays, in January, I'm planning on taking her to Cape Coral. Is crossing the big bend in January going to find me waiting for weather, or is this a reasonable time to cross?

In order to have harbor space available to me in Cape Coral for after the first of the year, I need to start paying rent in October as I'm afraid space will fill up over the winter. We're planning on harboring at the Cape Coral Yacht basin. I think I'd rather secure harbor space now vs waiting until I need it after the first of the year, and possibly not finding any due to the busy season. I've also been thinking about taking my chances and not paying rent until I get the boat down here, and if harbor space is not available, putting her on a mooring ball in Ft. Myers. I'd rather be in a harbor vs a mooring ball, so paying a few months extra seems worth it to me in order to secure harbor space. In terms of looking at the big picture, a few months rent is probably a small cost. Any insight as to this part of my plan in the Ft. Myers area would also be greatly appreciated. We also looked at two other harbors a bit farther up the Caloosahatchee River, but liked Goodman better.

Thanks,

Conall

You are definitely going to be waiting for a weather window in January. But several should come up. As far as securing a slip, I have not had a problem locating a month to month slip in the past so I don't see the need to pay for one in advance that you are not using. Most will take reservations as well. Lots of good choices where you are headed! If it were me, I would make a reservation at a marina that has a high rating on active captain for a month or 2 and then start shopping around. Have a great trip!!

I forgot to mention that the ft Myers municipal Marina is pretty good and reasonably priced for that area. But I suspect you will find better deals from private parties that want to rent their docks, right there in Cape Coral.

I have a reservation at Ft Myers basin for late January. As long as we keep in contact with them, they'll work with us keeping our reservation open.

The weather has been good here in Ohio recently, and I've been able to keep my jobs on schedule. I'm wrapping up my last job on Tuesday and were planning on shoving off Saturday. One friend is riding the whole trip trip to Pensacola, and we're picking up another bud at Green Turtle as he has a farm down there and he's wrapping up his last bush hogging waiting on us.

Should be a good trip and I'm itching to leave.

Conall

Keep talking to the dock master and make sure they know you will be a full year occupant.

Yes January weather can be windy when a front passes. Some years are calmer than others, just wait.

We just bought a boat and dock at ft myers yacht basin. It is nice, secure from weather, and great restaurants and events 5 minutes walk from the dock. Very reasonable fees!! The dockmaster is Lief Lustig, awesome staff there! Great store and fuel dock too. Pumpouts at every slip.

Sunset Grille 2016- Swift 34

We just bought a boat and dock at ft myers yacht basin. It is nice, secure from weather, and great restaurants and events 5 minutes walk from the dock. Very reasonable fees!! The dockmaster is Lief Lustig, awesome staff there! Great store and fuel dock too. Pumpouts at every slip.

Sunset Grille 2016- Swift 34

We've stopped there several times. Great Marina.

"November around Pensacola:

Thats south Alabama some freezing nights with 40 as a high.

Come on down to FLORIDA , get south of Lake O if you don't like winter

In Pensacola you should look at the 50A power cord burn out chatter..

Back
Top Bottom