What is this controlling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Went to look at a boat today. Underneath the hard top over the aft cockpit there were two of these, one to port and one to starboard. There is a little mark behind this one, don't know if that it a coincidence or if it an aftermarket install marker.

Based on the turtle, hare, and arrow icons it seems to control speed and direction. But what? The boat has a bow thruster (not stern) and twins. I can't think this is to control the engines from the cockpit? The boat is equipped with Morse dual function controls. Could these possibly be remote controls to those?

Attachments

• P1016278.jpg
    P1016278.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 125
Just looked at the photos and yes, there are two spotlights on top of the hardtop.

Well done.

Thanks. Looks like the ones on the wireless dash mounted page.

I have two of these remote spotlight controls......one for a roof mountd unit and one on the bow rail, and I'd trade them both for a good hand control like the old days. I keep a portable 12V plug in style light in the port helm cabinet cuz the operation and fine control of the remotes are so clumsy on a moving boat. Eye and hand coordination can compensate for movement but a solid mounted spot can't, and the remote lights are expensive to purchase and maintain. Both my spot lights have needed motors. Soon, they're history. They look good, but are just another maintenance item. Hand held spot units are cheap (as long as you're not buying them at a marine store)and easily replaced.....take anywhere you need light. Flood lights are another matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom