Pilothouse Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's pretty far south, probably closer to Cuba than Fla or Bahamas.* Some fishing charters from Fla make out it there and back, but can't go ashore as*it is part of the*Bahamas but no clearing facilities. It's a long run from anywhere, but supposed to be*great diving, fishing,etc., totally unspoiled.*Never been there myself, at least not yet.*

CaySal Bank

KJ wrote:

It's pretty far south, probably closer to Cuba than Fla or Bahamas.* Some fishing charters from Fla make out it there and back, but can't go ashore as*it is part of the*Bahamas but no clearing facilities. It's a long run from anywhere, but supposed to be*great diving, fishing,etc., totally unspoiled.*Never been there myself, at least not yet.*

CaySal Bank

KJ, thanks.* That is not the kind of place to go in a Pilgrim.* It is in the middle of the florida straits, and that is serious water.* Currents are very strong.

I didn't know that.* Thanks for the info.* I think my Imperial Trawler (Obi Wan)*can handle it, I just upgraded her Hyperdrive unit, installed bow thrusters that double as a cloaking device, and, (most important), installed a 12v/AC coffee maker!
Just kidding.**** KJ

Imperial Trawler

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 10th of January 2011 02:15:48 AM

Moonstruck wrote:"5' head seas.* Slowed us to 14.5 knots, but doable.....With good weather we can be on the Little Bahama Bank in 2 hours.* I don't tarry out there....
We were making about 25 knots."
Don:*
The speeds you have posted here are in line with my thinking about getting
somewhere/anywhere well within the forecast-ed weather window. (To do 24
miles in one hour vs. three is my cup of tea.) I have enjoyed my 9 kt. boat but
would prefer to make the Catalina run in 2-3 hours as opposed to 8-9. What
engines do you have in your Sabre 42 and what is the burn at 25 kts? How is the
ride at 20-25 kts vs. 10-15?

Obviously, I like your boat and wonder how it stacks up with the Eastbay 43.

Photo #1** Sabre 42
Photo #2** Eastbay 43

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 10th of January 2011 10:31:55 AM

Attachments

• sabre 42.jpg
    sabre 42.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 84
  • eastbay 43.jpg
    eastbay 43.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 77
SeaHorse II wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:"5' head seas.* Slowed us to 14.5 knots, but doable.....With good weather we can be on the Little Bahama Bank in 2 hours.* I don't tarry out there....
We were making about 25 knots."

Photo #1** Sabre 42
Photo #2** Eastbay 43

Moonstruck has the optional 500hp Yanmar big blocks.* That is a totally different engine than the 440.* I have to be very careful accellerating.* When the turbos spool up, it can throw people off the back of the boat.* We can do cruising speeds of up to 27 knots.* We usually run about 25-26 knots.* Fuel consumption from 22 to 27 knots doesn't vary to much in mileage.* With calm seas I will get .95 to 1 mile per statute mile per gallon.* We like to putter along when we have the time, but I don't like to do it too long.* Yanmars like to work.* The torque is amazing.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Photo #1** Sabre 42
Photo #2** Eastbay 43

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore*your question about the East Bay 43.* It is a fine, good looking boat.* Our cruise is a little faster than the ones I have seen.* That can vary with the driver, of course.

The Eastbay has very traditional lines which I love.* The Sabre takes this and rounds them off a little.* I like my Sabre because of the layout.* We don't cook elaborate meals on board and do alot of grilling.* I just didn't want to devote that kind of space to the galley.* The side stateroom is one of Moonstruck's best features.* I have an added fold down desk, so it can be used as an office.* During the day it is a great den for reading or napping.* Then it will convert to a double berth for guests.* Allot of flexibility.

We removed the table at the settee and eat at the table on the helmdeck.* visibility up there is 360 degrees.* That makes a TV lounge below.* We put an ottoman in place of the table.

We love the boat.

Attachments

• 100_0256.jpg
    100_0256.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 67
Seahorse, maybe I will get it all in this time.* You asked about the handling at that speed.* I can think of one word how that boat handles at any speed----subperbly.* The hull carries a 16 degree deadrise to the stern.* Tracks great in a following sea, doesn't pound in a head sea, and the faster you cruise the more dynamic stability it has.* It is a great compromise for hull shape.* My Blackfin has about a 26 degree deadrise and rides like it is on shock absorbers.* Takes more power to keep it up.

We ran from the Savannah River to the St. Marys River at Fernandina Beach, FL in 3-5 quartering seas at 26 knots.* Lou didn't even get quezzy in the slightest.* She just sat there is that big Stidd seat.

Here is 26 knots in about a 5' quartering sea.

Attachments

• img_1858.jpg
    img_1858.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 84
Alfton wrote:

Yahoo has a Pilgrim 40 group.* One of the Pilgrims lists 14 crossings to the Bahamas.* He did not list his weather conditions.* Pilgrim 40 would be just right in the shallow and sheltered waters of the Sea of Abaco.

Like the whole Pilgrim 40 concept!* I see on the Yahoo owners group Pilgrim 40* #22 At the Little Rock Yacht Club is being offered for sale as of Jan. 7 2011. Call the owner John at 573 434 1273.* Thats all I know but might be worth checking out.** JEP

Back
Top Bottom