Melt Down Anybody??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Defender frequently has sales of items no one will purchase.

I have seen postings that Marinco will replace cords that have charred or burned ends. I can't confirm first hand but one posted said there was no time limit...he sent a photo w email to inquire and ask he cut off the end and send it in for a replacement.

If anyone tries this would appreciate a post to inform others.

Don
'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

"You know what they say about opinions. :rolleyes:"

Defenders opinion comes from what takes up shelf space ind inventory bucks .

If it doesn't sell, it doesn't stay.

They will special order most anything , not stocked.

If the entrance is screwed up, I may indulge myself in the Smartplug setup - as much to get out of the stupid "thread the ring" exercise.
I switched years ago and never regretted it. You'll love it!

Reading this thread makes me glad I only draw about 2 amps of shore power.

Just a follow-up. I get sort of irrated at the people who post pretty profound questions, a lot of knowledgable TF folks devote some time and energy to the problem to produce thoughtful suggestions, and the OP is never heard from again.

Back to my situation. I was surprised to find that, this inspection round, the boat entrance connections are good - no charring, no corrosion. Likewise the boat end plugs on the SP cables. My 30 amp SP cables connect to a 50 X 30 (2) Y.

Both the Y side and the SP cable side connectors (actually, the white plastic "plate" that fills the connector center) are not charred but discolored brown - looks like heat damage and the precursor to real charring - but only at the White conductor position (using the NEMA reference drawings). The male tang had black surface corrosion - not into the "meat" of the tang.

There was slight moisture present within the plug housing - couldn't tell if it was condensation or water intrusion ( I have the Marinco "sealing collar" installed on both SP cxable to Y connections). Interesting that the ground tang on both showed slight and localized verdigris - may be because the cables went voyaging this summer and were stowed on deck while underway - but with the female/male ends mechanically connected to hopefully avoid saltwater exposure.

Dried out the plugs, used a brass bristled brush to brighten the "White" tang and an old time points file to get into the female side. Final cleaned and applied Boeshield.

Going forward - for now I'll save my $ and be more watchful of connector condition. Although the Y to SP connections are under partial cover and are suspended and supported with the conductors/connections in the vertical, I will rig a rain shield to divert any rain running down the conductor - similar in concept to the old time dock line "rat guards" - and see what happens.

The long term plan will, I think, have a conversion to Hubbel components if not Smartplug.

As always, I sincerily appreciate the thoughtful input and advice from the TF crowd.

This thread reminded me to do a dock power station check. Another Marinco plug bites the dust, as you can see the black lead is welded to the contact. I have already ordered a replacement plug, I'm going to try a Furrion plug based on comments on TF. The power station female receptacle was clean and un-scorched as was the other 30 amp power cord. I also ordered some dielectric grease.

Attachments

• IMG_4911.jpg
    IMG_4911.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4913.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 42
The power station female receptacle was clean and un-scorched as was the other 30 amp power cord.

I would check and recheck the pedestal female outlet as I have never seen only one side be affected by heat and arcing. The female side is harder to see the damage as it is hidden...you may need to get the marina to pull the female receptacle to check the back side for melting or charring.

I have seen members posts that stated Marinco replaced components damaged by arcing \ overheating... I can't confirm this but you don't have much to lose by contacting them to inquire.

Don
MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

This thread reminded me to do a dock power station check. Another Marinco plug bites the dust, as you can see the black lead is welded to the contact. I have already ordered a replacement plug, I'm going to try a Furrion plug based on comments on TF. The power station female receptacle was clean and un-scorched as was the other 30 amp power cord. I also ordered some dielectric grease.

The fault seems to be total isolated to that one screw down connection. Hard to believe that could happen if that connection wasn't loose or the wire at that point wasn't compromised in some way.

Hard to believe that could happen if that connection wasn't loose or the wire at that point wasn't compromised in some way.

Folks who have messed with much electric stuff know only in the US is a multi strand wire stuck under a screw.

Look at Euro running lights or wiper motors and you will usually find the wire has been dipped in solder making the last 1/4 -1/2 inch solid.

High amperage dock power users might consider this upgrade to non molded plugs.

FF, I thought to solder the tips, BUT the Marinco instructions said to not solder them. I will have the marina check the female recepticale. Capt Bll, I may have not tightened the led properly, I usually double check them and have to avoid over tightening things most of the time. No way to tell now, will definitely do the repair with that in mind, thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom