New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Son of a Bubble!

spacer.gif
img_362280_1_71f3d7fc1b0ffb95750fa6a73f4c417e.jpg

Fixed that lil' b*stard! ;) Sat there and watched it growing from about 3" across to 6" before I nailed it with the bubble buster.

spacer.gif
img_362280_3_3f1dcfcf8c382752e5a50b8432a35ca4.jpg

Got the glass for the transom laid up and trimmed but the carpal tunnel syndrome kicked up again. My hands are Sore! Sore! Sore!

M/V She:Kon: Son of a Bubble

There's always tomorrow.

Standby...

Nice! Standing by.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Done! First layer on the inside, DONE! I can't believe it's taken me months & months to get this done. Sheez I must be a lazy bastard! ;) Finished up the transom today to complete the first layer.

spacer.gif
img_362606_1_5a160fcef37cde1bdec9ce80ae989df5.jpg

Added extra 17 oz tape where the designer was concerned about the small overlaps in fabrics. I'll do the same on the chine where they're a little thin as well.

spacer.gif
img_362606_3_a82c99997cf4476703a742d49f46cb45.jpg

The complex shape of the transom and the transition to the side & bottoms makes it a wee bit harder to wet out the fabric. You can see the three darts I had to cut in the bottom part of the fiberglass to get it to conform to the shape properly. Took a lot of tuggin & squeegeeing to get it into shape. I'll go out later and check for bubbles! :banghead:

So the next step is to sand it all down, stem to stern, keel to gunnels then lay in the 0/90 fabric. Hopefully that'll go faster.

Standby.... There's a bottle of Cap'n Morgan's calling my name!

Awesome! Everything laid in and wetted out by a craftsman who cares and scrutinized every square inch of the job. You can't get any better than that for quality control!! Keep up the great work!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Been where you are. Starting building a 33 foot offshore deep vee cuddy cabin from the ground up including all the tooling. Before the project was finished it encountered Katrina.

Have you ever thought about doing some kind of vacuum bagging or SCRIMP process to help speed things along? Since you are working alone it might make things easier in the long run. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Looking great way to pay attention to details

Have you ever thought about doing some kind of vacuum bag or SCRIMP process to help speed things along? Since you are working alone it might make things easier in the long run. Just a thought.
Oh yeah, I had thought of that Cap'n Jon, a lot. I have the equipment for it. As it turned out a vacuum bag for a boat this size is horrendously expensive. The alternative was to make one from smaller sections. It would be hard enough trying to get a full vacuum seal on a single piece bag let alone one made up of multiple parts.

The other aspect is the cost of consumables that get thrown away at the end of the process that concerns me. I would be tossing about $1500 in plastics away at the end. Bag, peel ply, breather/bleeder, feed lines, spiral wrap etc.

Plus it takes guts or at least the advantage of doing it first on someone else's boat at their expense! :D I was a bit afraid of having to switch resin systems to get an infusion variety. Something I wasn't familiar with the characteristics. Guess what I'm saying is it doesn't make much sense on a 1-off project.

Great question!

Thanks for looking in.

I understand that.When I was making motorcycle parts from composite,I would get about three parts and have ditch $150 in plastic,bleeder,hoses,and such.The project didn't work out.Just to break even I had to over charge for the parts.The little man inside me said nope,this is wrong.I maybe could do it now, but I just don't have the desire to make race parts.

So as they say, no rest for the weary, hit the shed around 9'ish this morning and got to work on the box keel.

spacer.gif
img_363073_1_8a30915d87093749408b531d8384ed3f.jpg

Just a lot of sanding to clean up the 'Fiber Fangs', fabric edges & spills that ended up in the bottom of the keel. I lasted about 4 hours on the sanders till my hands gave out. Back to the grog for relief! ;)

Web log updated with another 'Sandinsanity' video for all you sicko's out there! :eek:

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/retu ... anity.html

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers~!

Keep at it Rick, your doing great! Pretty soon the stringers, then bulkheads.....sure hope the grog or the Liver lasts, LOL!

Had to take a few days off to rest the hands. They're still a bit sore but pushing through it. The Rum doesn't seem to be helping anymore! :angel:

Spent a few hours on the sanders this morning feather fabric egdes etc. to get the box keel ready for the next layer of glass.

spacer.gif
img_364428_1_6425a69ac08d3c8279751f6fb9662276.jpg

Much lighter material but just has hard to work with. The slightest touch and it wrinkles. No way to get it into shape until you're wetting it out and letting the squeegee get it to where you want it to go. That'll happen tomorrow.

spacer.gif
img_364428_3_cf23c9571c86f32502b5b1febf156d4f.jpg

Standby...

spacer.gif
img_364922_1_a530399f88e7fc17cc165244a4f2f3de.jpg

spacer.gif
img_364922_3_aa9b1402158b8c74114a877b2f3f63d5.jpg

3 hours
1-1/2 gal epoxy

Standby...

Arghhhh. She's starting to feel a little salty !!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Arghhhh. She's starting to feel a little salty!!

Arghhhh. She's starting to feel a little dusty!! :D

Broke out the 8" High Speed Spinning Wheel of Death & Destruction. I couldn't find any aggressive grit discs and had to settle for an 80 grit. It worked fine.

spacer.gif
img_366207_1_861fd54f9ff53c75f59619cc0a4fccaa.jpg

I whipped across the bottom panel in about 45 mins. It's a bit of a beast to control with carpal tunnel in both hands. On the flat bottom panel I could lean on it a bit. On the vertical sides it wasn't so easy. I got the upper half of them done with the 8" and I'll finish them off this afternoon with the 6" RO.

More pics & nonsense on the blog updated: M/V She:Kon: Lunchtime update HSSWDD

Thanks for lookin' in!

Cheers!

I don't know what your neighbors would think but if you could duct that fan to the outside it would be a little less dusty inside. Grinding glass inside a close environment sucks! :banghead:

I don't know what your neighbors would think but if you could duct that fan to the outside it would be a little less dusty inside. Grinding glass inside a close environment sucks! :banghead:
I've got one in the peak that takes some of it out. The rest usually finds the floor of the shed. I think grinding glass in any environment sucks! :D Just have to keep telling myself it'll all be over soon!

Thanks for lookin' in!

Cheers!

Rick, we had in the shop a turbo fan with a long 6" suction hose (like dryer vent hose). If I get by there next week I'll take a picture. We put the fan outside the work area and the end of the suction hose next to the work. It removed at least 85% of the dust while grinding. The more comfortable you make the work environment the longer you can work and thusly get the project completed faster.

Rick, we had in the shop a turbo fan with a long 6" suction hose (like dryer vent hose). If I get by there next week I'll take a picture. We put the fan outside the work area and the end of the suction hose next to the work. It removed at least 85% of the dust while grinding. The more comfortable you make the work environment the longer you can work and thusly get the project completed faster.
Thanks Jon

I'd have to find a place to send it to I'd try your solution. Got neighbors on three sides who probably wouldn't appreciate the dust getting in their stuff! :eek: I originally had dust collection thing but it didn't work out too well. The sanding dust was just too fine for it to catch. Would likely need something small like a Hepa Filter.

I find using the fan helps keep it off of me till I can vacuum it up. That's the best solution I've found so far.

Thanks again.

Ready for goop tomorrow!

spacer.gif
img_366703_1_c564faad45fdacf890fe88627fe55f32.jpg

spacer.gif
img_366703_3_3764264f9235fa704dc74a8464cd25ef.jpg

That lil' piece is about 30' long and 4' wide. I'm guestimating 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy & 3-1/2 hours.

Standby...

Rick It is looking great

get a Tens unit for your carpal they really help

Rick It is looking great

get a Tens unit for your carpal they really help
Thanks siestakey. Appreciate the kind words.

Tens unit? Is that like a wrist brace? I wear them every night. Seems to help a bit.

Way to go Rick! Looking great!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I had the surgery on both hand about 10 years ago I highly reccomend having it done

Rick, I'd like to tell you how much I appreciate this thread. Every once and a while I get this urge to convert an old Bruno & Stillman 35' Downeaster (my charter boat) to a compact cruiser. Then I look at the amount of time and effort going into your build. Reality quickly sets in. A project like this takes dedication and comment far beyond my refit project. Instead, I think I'll just be satisfied watching your fine work.

Ted

Gooped!

spacer.gif
img_366980_1_81a389b4b8bbf4be861deae3b41fb4b5.jpg

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Another Nibble

I'll hang the glass for the stbd side tomorrow and likely goop it on Wednesday. Once that's done it's switcheroo day moving all the stuff back to the stbd side so I can glass the port side.

Standby...

I had the surgery on both hand about 10 years ago I highly reccomend having it done
I've heard good stories and bad stories about the surgery. A close buddy of mine has had his done 'twice' now and still has problems. I'll probably give it consideration if it persists after the boat is done. Till then I try all the home remedies & witches brews for relief! :D

Last edited:
Rick, I'd like to tell you how much I appreciate this thread. Every once and a while I get this urge to convert an old Bruno & Stillman 35' Downeaster (my charter boat) to a compact cruiser. Then I look at the amount of time and effort going into your build. Reality quickly sets in. A project like this takes dedication and comment far beyond my refit project. Instead, I think I'll just be satisfied watching your fine work.

Thanks Ted. The ole' saying: 'It'll take you twice as long and cost you twice as much.' probably holds true whether it's a new build or a major refit. I pretty severely underestimated the amount of effort but it's not a bad thing. I was going to do it anyways. A 30+ foot boat isn't really a one-man-job. More helpers would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking in. Appreciate it.

Cheers

Hotter 'n hell here today. We had tornado warnings last night but most of the nasty stuff skirted by us to the north & south. Dodged a bullet methinks. I got out in the shed this morning with intentions of laying out the fabric for the stbd side fore to aft and glue it tomorrow. That didn't happen. I got the fabric hung up and it started 'screaming' at me to goop it! :D So I obliged.

spacer.gif
img_367302_1_8f93933595af9d462f026ddec3db581a.jpg

Just a bit over an hours labour and a gallon of epoxy. Done. A wee problem with the edge sticking up in places from yesterday but the ball peen hammer (thumb adjuster) fixed that up. Just have to check that the bubbles have stuck down. It's almost 100 F in the shed right now, not a wisp of a breeze either. Fans going full blast make it somewhat tolerable.

Couple more pics on the web log update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/star ... lwark.html

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom