Thread: Gas vs. Diesel
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #206
sunchaser
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Seen and heard of many boat related gas fires and exhaust deaths. They are so numerous that anyone considering a gas powered older vessel should pay strong heed. Older diesel vessels are inherently safer for three reasons, first diesel is much less combustible, second diesel evaporative vapors are low in comparison and third diesels pull in much more air resulting in a less toxic and diluted exhaust.

An interesting gas explosion I am aware of happened 30 years ago in a a marina on the Mississippi above St Louis. A fellow was routinely taking his secretary to his houseboat during lunch. His wife caught wind of what was going on and went to the houseboat one lunch hour and observed the action from a distance. Incensed, she returned the next day with hubbies rifle and fired two shots into the gas powered vessel. One punctured a fuel tank.

The wife left and the tank leaked, finally triggering the bilge pump to come on. BOOM

Both participants were lifted by the explosion into the water nude as the boat blew apart. responders included not only others in the marina but police, fire and the St Louis Post Dispatch. Lots of mirth, few injuries and a jailed wife. This is a happy story in comparison to Bruce's and many others.

I would never own an older gas tanked vessel. With the witches brew of alcohol fuels mandated, hoses, tanks, and fittings are real world leak points. Not to mention older FRP tanks potential incompatibility with E15.

Ten years ago each fuel fill line on my 9 year old SeaRay began weeping. Problem was a result of hose not able to withstand the Lake Powell high heat. Shame on SeaRay for using low grade hose.

So for the OP, why even pursue an old gas powered vessel unless you are planning on bringing each and every tank, line and fitting up to E15 compatibility - at great expense and still fraught with worry.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote