View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #25
timjet
Guru

I got a Parrot Bebop drone last month. This is I believe the best selling drone made so far. At $500 with a fixed camera it's a pretty good price. To save money the controller is your cell phone or tablet which shows the image from the camera on the mobile device (FPV or first person view). The mobile device connects to the drone via WiFi and you tilt your connected mobile device to move the drone fwd or backward with separate controls on the mobile screen for up/down and to rotate the drone.

This all sounds good but in reality there is no way I would try to film my boat over water. It takes way to much practice and experience to get to that level with this drone. The camera is fixed so you must move the drone to point the camera. This really isn't a problem as the camera lens is pretty much wide angle. The problem I have is controlling the drone with the tablet is awkward and the image is just not bright enough. However the drone records the image from the camera and stores it for download later. Once downloaded the image is pretty good when viewed on the computer.

A drone like the OP has with a Go Pro camera will set you back about 2G's. But that's probably what it takes to get good pics.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote