Galley aft versus saloon aft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
I thought that I had read some previous discussions on this subject, but can't find the thread.

Looking for some comments on placing the galley all the way aft in the deckhouse, next to the covered aft deck. This is as opposed to the traditional saloon-aft with the galley forward, just abaft the pilothouse.

My galley is mid-ship, just behind the pilothouse. This position minimizes boat motion at the galley and makes transit of food and drink to the pilothouse short (an arm's length in my case). On the other hand, if one's activities center around the cockpit, having the galley toward the stern might be preferred.

Last edited:
I thought that I had read some previous discussions on this subject, but can't find the thread.

Might have been a thread about galley up versus galley down. Sounds familiar...

-Chris

They made that move on the Mainship 400 from the 390. I think the biggest reason for doing that is to add a dinette. A dinette astern would get in the way of the entry and people flow.

Our GB 46 Europa is a rare custom build and has an aft galley and two fridges stacked rather than the get down on your knees model. Great layout I think.

Some Defever 44's and the 49 cockpit version of it have that layout.

Correct, George. For us, it's a very serviceable layout. Good views out the front and side windows and the aft window in the galley is perfect for handing food out to the sundeck, where we prefer to be as much as possible anyway. I could not own a boat with the galley on a level lower than the saloon and remain married.

Back
Top Bottom