Paint work....>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Tentatively planning on having the hull done this winter. 27 yr old Gel coat is chalky and stains easily in these brackish waters. Thinking of Awlcraft Aristo blue, but not set on boot stripe yet... Opinions?

Now:
pshop-vi.jpg

White stripe:
ScreenShot20150902at11_37_10AM-vi.png

Red stripe:
ScreenShot20150902at11_36_14AM-vi.png

I like the red.

Looks purdy in Red White and Blue! Where are you thinking of having the work done?

Looks good either way I think Blue hull , white boot stripe and green bottom paint always looks good .

The white bootstripe likely will not be white for long whereas the red won't show stain as much...I do like the look of the red.

Love the blue and red maybe a white stripe between the blue and red and use a dirty deep red ?
Many years ago we owned a deep green wooden 30' boat and it sunk for no knowen reason when they raised it I asked the shipwright did he find the problem the shipwright said because its green . Never owned a green boat since :rofl:

Well, if you are not going to paint it black, I guess blue will do. Suggestion----if painting the boot stripe white make it off white. I used oyster white even though above the gunnels the boat is sport yacht white. It is hard to keep a boot stripe pristine, and the bright while seems too bright to me. Oh yeah, see how a good cove stripe would do on your boat.

Note: Of course, I don't expect anyone to take my suggestions. I am sure it will look good whatever you decide.

I would also paint the spray rails. By the way, Awlcraft is a good choice. Easier to work with and touch up.

img_365574_0_c18bd55ad32e53ae41b6616724047c35.jpg

This is probably better showing the subtle difference between the two whites.

img_365574_1_3a3dd568824b3ee93012c9157236f71a.jpg

this one looks black, but is actually dark blue with a bright white stripe.

img_365574_2_d302ee284abb2815c52cd652174ad99f.jpg

Last edited:
Blue is always very classy. I like the red boot-top best (won't stain as easily as white) but would paint the spray rails to match the hull and the boot-top.

but would paint the spray rails to match the hull and the boot-top.

Yup...pretty much decided on that....

Thanks all for the feedback...Still chewing it over...:)

Here's one with the spray rails painted:

4462660_20130917132008653_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Blue over red, to make a fine looking vessel even finer !

Heron, I really like your boat. Looks fast even docked!

Yup...pretty much decided on that....

Thanks all for the feedback...Still chewing it over...:)

Here's one with the spray rails painted:

4462660_20130917132008653_1_XLARGE.jpg

That looks very nice. Kinda the best of both worlds---red bottom paint and white boot stripe.

That looks very nice. Kinda the best of both worlds---red bottom paint and white boot stripe.

Great minds think alike! I'm liking the combo..

Heron, I really like your boat. Looks fast even docked!

LOL..I think the Downeast sheer line gives it that look...

It's a steady 7 knot cruiser, 15 WOT...

Paint work....>

This is what I did with my boat. Classic look. I may go flag blue when I paint.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441244097.390866.jpg The red bottom paint fades nicely to a maroon patina with a bit of green verdigris...

Steve
For me- certainly the second choice. I would also consider a pair of stripes on the fbridge. One 3/4" the other an inch and a half.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Looks good either way I think Blue hull , white boot stripe and green bottom paint always looks good .

That was my choice last time. Here are before and after pictures of Boomarang with Blue-White-Red and Blue-White-Green combinations. The Awlgrip Flag Blue was applied in 2001 which speaks to its durability. Please note the accent stripe on the cabin and pilothouse breaks up the expanse of the lighter colored superstructure.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 434
A few more rough photoshops...

ScreenShot20150902at2_21_36PM-vi.png

ScreenShot20150902at2_21_58PM-vi.png

Darker colors are usually hard to match repair touch up. The look nice as long as you do not mar scratch. Also some brands also easier. Just saying.

Darker colors are usually hard to match repair touch up. The look nice as long as you do not mar scratch. Also some brands also easier. Just saying.

That's the benefit of Awlcraft over Awlgrip...
Awlcraft easily reparable, Awlgrip not so much.
I was not aware until I did some research..

Repairing Topcoat, Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft

Last edited:
Steve: We just touched up an area on Hobo. We had some of the original Awlcraft paint from 2011/2012. Very easy and I will challenge any one to find the repair. We used a Preval sprayer. We had Awlgrip before and repairs were not a DIY. The one downside to the Awlcraft is it's not as hard as Awlgrip but the ease of repairs makes up for it. Looking forward to seeing Heron when she's all done.

https://preval.com/all-products/preval-sprayer/

Steve: We just touched up an area on Hobo. We had some of the original Awlcraft paint from 2011/2012. Very easy and I will challenge any one to find the repair. We used a Preval sprayer. We had Awlgrip before and repairs were not a DIY. The one downside to the Awlcraft is it's not as hard as Awlgrip but the ease of repairs makes up for it. Looking forward to seeing Heron when she's all done.

https://preval.com/all-products/preval-sprayer/

Thanks larry...good info..
I had to have some repair work done on my Aristo Blue Bristol 35.5 with Awlgrip some years ago. It turned out fine but was definitely a job that required professionals and not inexpensive.....
Awlcraft will be the choice...Plus my yard who will do the work is experienced with spraying it...

Last edited:
Steve, painting the spray rails really cleaned up the design. Are they Smart Rails?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom