Winter Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay N

Guru
Vessel Name
WESTERLY
Vessel Make
1974 Pacific Trawler 37
No controversial issues, just sitting here in Port Ludlow inner anchorage enjoying the sound of snow/hail hitting the overhead, diesel cabin heater keeping the interior cozy.

Typical winter in the PNW:* Tremendous display by wintering sea birds.* Will maybe head for Port Townsend or Pleasant Harbor tomorrow.

Winter Crusing is a special time of year.* Of course, if everyone did it, it wouldn't be quite as special!

no fair! you did not post any pictures!!

Tony,
In that kind of weather one dosn't think about taking pictures.
One thinks about staying warm and Jay DID talk about that.
I like to go out in the winter too.
Way to go Jay.

Thanks for sharing....I need to get OUT THERE!!!!

Sorry, no pics.* Just wanted to share the moment.* Here's a clip from my nav log:

Cloudy, rain/snow showers expected tonight.* Observed common/pacific loons, western/horned/red throated grebes, goldeneyes, buffleheads, surf scoters, hooded mergansers, various alcids, pelagic/double-crested cormorants, wigeons, eagles, kingfishers and river otters. Great winter show.

You guys up in the PNW need to rig your boat up with a helm cam! That way, we can vicariously cruise with you! :)

Get a birds eye view of PNW weather in about an hour. Saints vs Seahawks. Go Saints.

Moonstruck wrote:

Gulf Comanche wrote:

Get a birds eye view of PNW weather in about an hour. Saints vs Seahawks. Go Saints.
The Saints will have to take their own Zatarain's seasoning out there to jazz up that PNW food.

http://www.zatarains.com/

Just like Baltimore has to take their own Old Bay Seasoning with them,

http://www.oldbay.com/Products/Old-Bay-Seasoning.aspxNot to worry, NW cuisine leaves nothing to be desired. We've got it all.

Apparently the Saints forgot their Zaterains and their defense. Tough break. Yeah Seahawks.

Carey wrote:
Not to worry, NW cuisine leaves nothing to be desired. We've got it all.

Apparently the Saints forgot their Zaterains and their defense. Tough break. Yeah Seahawks.

Carey, I was standing in front of the Hilton Airport Hotel at Charles DeGaule near Paris*waiting for the shuttle* One other guy was there so we struck up a conversation* He said that he had been in Europe for 7 weeks on business and was glad to be headed home.* He said that he was from Baltimore, and that he could prove it.* I asked how.* He pulled a bottle of Old Bay Seasoning from his wind breaker pocket.* Those guys can't live without the stuff!

Moonstruck wrote:
Carey wrote:
Not to worry, NW cuisine leaves nothing to be desired. We've got it all.

Carey, I was standing in front of the Hilton Airport Hotel at Charles DeGaule near Paris*waiting for the shuttle* One other guy was there so we struck up a conversation* He said that he had been in Europe for 7 weeks on business and was glad to be headed home.* He said that he was from Baltimore, and that he could prove it.* I asked how.* He pulled a bottle of Old Bay Seasoning from his wind breaker pocket.* Those guys can't live without the stuff!DonDon't tell our moderators or any of our other friend from the Gulf area, but I couldn't live without the Old Bay, Tobasco Sauce, etc. Not to mention a couple good cookbooks I got down in Grand Isle, LA. I sure miss those Gulf Shrimp too.

Good luck Seahawks, maybe this is your year.

Gulf Comanche wrote:

Good luck Seahawks, maybe this is your year.
Having quite a few friends in Louisiana, I was thrilled to see the Saints win it last year. The city and the state really needed the boost.

As much as I like to see the Seahawks do well, I always keep my expectations low and my hopes high.

Hey, that Old Bay is some good stuff!!!

Can't have steamed crabs without it!

Keith wrote:

Can't have steamed crabs without it!
KeithI think you'll need to send a bill to Old Bay for all of our promotion of their product.*
smile.gif

I really miss the Gumbo down there too. I have yet to perfect a quality roux for mine. I have a new cast iron pan that I hope will solve that problem.

Don (Moodstruck) mentioned the guy he met at the airport with his Old Bay, which reminds me
of a friend that takes his own hot sauce with him into every restaurant he visits.

Carey wrote:

Keith
I think you'll need to send a bill to Old Bay for all of our promotion of their product.*
smile.gif

I really miss the Gumbo down there too. I have yet to perfect a quality roux for mine. I have a new cast iron pan that I hope will solve that problem.

Don (Moodstruck) mentioned the guy he met at the airport with his Old Bay, which reminds me
of a friend that takes his own hot sauce with him into every restaurant he visits.

Carey, here is the way I do a roux.* After you add the flour to the fat, cook it down to be very brown.* You will have to stir constantly to keep the lumps from forming.* The flour has to cook and it has to come to a boil to reach it thickening.* If it is too thick, bring it back to consistancy with water.* To me, a good roux is about the color of carmel or maybe even a little darker.* I don't really care for a blond roux.* You have got to have filet to make a good gumbo.

Just a few things I love about the South.* Whoever heard of Yankee fried chicken?

Moonstruck wrote:

Carey wrote:

Keith
I think you'll need to send a bill to Old Bay for all of our promotion of their product.*
smile.gif

Carey, here is the way I do a roux.* After you add the flour to the fat, cook it down to be very brown.* You will have to stir constantly to keep the lumps from forming.* The flour has to cook and it has to come to a boil to reach it thickening.* If it is too thick, bring it back to consistancy with water.* To me, a good roux is about the color of carmel or maybe even a little darker.* I don't really care for a blond roux.* You have got to have filet to make a good gumbo.

Just a few things I love about the South.* Whoever heard of Yankee fried chicken?

You are so right about that. Even us yankees don't call our chicken Northern Fried.

As to the roux color, that is where I fail. I can't get beyond blonde, even after hours of careful heat control and constant stirring. I will give it a try with my new cast iron pan.

Thanks Don

Carey wrote:

As to the roux color, that is where I fail. I can't get beyond blonde, even after hours of careful heat control and constant stirring. I will give it a try with my new cast iron pan.
Trying adding some Worcestershire sauce to the roux while it's cooking.

markpierce wrote:

Carey wrote:

Mark, that will add flavor and color, but it won't cook the flour.* To get a dark roux with a rich flavor,*you have to get the flour cooked.

Moonstruck wrote:

markpierce wrote:

Carey wrote:

Mark, that will add flavor and color, but it won't cook the flour.* To get a dark roux with a rich flavor,*you have to get the flour cooked.

Like I said, add the sauce while you're cooking the roux.* All that's necessary is to remove the flour taste, which doesn't take long.* The roux is well beyond "cooking" after it has turned dark*brown without the Worcestershire.* Once the roux is cooked, it is added to make the gravy, stew, whatever.

markpierce wrote:

Like I said, add the sauce while you're cooking the roux.* All that's necessary is to remove the flour taste, which doesn't take long.* The roux is well beyond "cooking" after it has turned dark*brown without the Worcestershire.* Once the roux is cooked, it is added to make the gravy, stew, whatever.

That would work if it is Lea & Perrins of course.

Moonstruck wrote:That would work if it is Lea & Perrins of course.

I wouldn't consider using any other.* But don't think I've ever seen any other brand.* Does L&P have a copyright on* Worcestershire Sauce?

I s'pose people of Asian persuasion would tend to*use soy sauce.* If I was doing an Asian dish, I'd probably use it, but for a European dish I'd use L&P.

markpierce wrote:Moonstruck wrote:That would work if it is Lea & Perrins of course.
I wouldn't consider using any other.* But don't think I've ever seen any other brand.* Does L&P have a copyright on* Worcestershire Sauce?

I s'pose people of Asian persuasion would tend to*use soy sauce.* If I was doing an Asian dish, I'd probably use it, but for a European dish I'd use L&P.At the risk of taking this thread through another turn, I must recommend the best steak marinade I've ever tasted.Take enough Yoshida Sauce (found at Costco and others), to fully surround your steak in a ziploc bag. Add four to six ounces of good bourbon, canadian whiskey, or fine single malt scotch, and a couple ounces of L & P Worcestershire Sauce, and your favorite steak seasoning. Zip it up and let it slosh in your ice chest for 8-12 hours. The result is fabulous. Bon Appetite.

markpierce wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:That would work if it is Lea & Perrins of course.

I s'pose people of Asian persuasion would tend to*use soy sauce.* If I was doing an Asian dish, I'd probably use it, but for a European dish I'd use L&P.

There are*others out there posing as Worcestershire sauce.* If you want to donate to John Kerry's 5 million dollar yacht you can buy*one of them.* *L & P is the only one a true Cajun will use.

Maybe we should start a thread on WANNABEE SAUCES!
smile.gif

French's used to make Worchesterchire sauce... but I haven't used or looked for anything other than L&P for decades.

Jay N wrote:

No controversial issues, just sitting here in Port Ludlow inner anchorage enjoying the sound of snow/hail hitting the overhead, diesel cabin heater keeping the interior cozy.
Retake:* Just sitting here in Port Ludlow enjoying the SeaHawks win, thinking about various sause receipes, and wondering which one would be best on my steak at dinner time.

There, that ought to do it!

You tell 'em Jay!!!!

Jay,
You are so right on. Winter cruising in the PNW is always a*special experience. A couple of weeks ago I warmed*up Northstar (Willard 40), slipped the lines, and motored solo out*onto Guemes Channel heading for Friday Harbor.*With Small Craft Warnings*on the radio, it was slow going as I crossed Rosario Strait against heavy beam seas. But once we passed through Thacher Pass and entered the San Juan Islands, all was calm and beautiful with dramatic views of snow covered mountains to the west. The skies were clear and*the afternoon sun warmed*the saloon so much that I had to turn off the Kabola furnace --*outside it was a*chilly 36 degrees!*

Three hours after leaving Anacortes later I entered Friday Harbor and ideled up to*the guest dock where*helping hands took my lines.*Despite the*cold days, it was a fun weekend, spent reading, listening to CBC radio, and swapping*lies (and rum and coke?) with the guys on the trawler next to me. The cruise back to Anacortes*was uneventful, with calm seas, dodging Washington State*ferries, and again, friendly hands waiting*to help with the lines. Winter jaunts can be a delight here in the PNW.

-- Edited by nwboater on Friday 18th of February 2011 07:10:17 PM

-- Edited by nwboater on Friday 18th of February 2011 07:11:39 PM

-- Edited by nwboater on Friday 18th of February 2011 07:12:35 PM

Attachments

• anacortes ferry.jpg
    anacortes ferry.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 76
  • friday harbor.jpg
    friday harbor.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 82
2 days ago, approaching Malibu Rapids from the north.
IMG_4196-8x6.jpg

on edit: I guess it was just yesterday morning.*

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 07:22:59 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom