Bought a fantail cruiser today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I 'heared of a boat named buckin foat.....:rofl:
BTW, she sure be 'purdy...a power boat for the times what with the price of diesel. She looks really salty. :)You gonna para vane her?

Just shows you the timelessness of that design, would not have thought 2001, real beautiful vessel and I love the sipping amount of fuel at cruise.

Last edited:
Looks very similar for sure. What does cold molded hull mean?

Many cold molded boats are laid up with thin bendable strips over frames. The bonding agent is usually epoxy. It makes a lite very strong hull that can be glassed over. Kevlar can be used or GRP for a slick finish. There are some mighty fine Carolina boats built using this method. Jarret Bay being one of them.

http://www.jarrettbay.com/

Last edited:
She's beautiful. Congratulations.

Conrad that's the boat I looked at.

"Wood with glass over it" is correct but does not come very close to explaining cold molded boats. See new thread if interested ..... Cold Molded.

I call it a short summary. :D

Congrats on your purchase! look forward to watching the progress!

I call it a short summary. :D

Yes, very short, and for the length of your post it was accurate and an efficient way of expressing that. But because many here may not be familiar w cold molded boats I felt there was a need to expand on it. And I knew I had forgotten much to most about it I was to some degree trolling for myself ... not to be known as a man of few words. And Scott and Peter Jung came through. Not really critical but saying let's take it further. Take a better look at it for those not acquainted w cold molded boats. It worked too.

I meant to send you a PM too but forgot.

Yes, very short, and for the length of your post it was accurate and an efficient way of expressing that. But because many here may not be familiar w cold molded boats I felt there was a need to expand on it. And I knew I had forgotten much to most about it I was to some degree trolling for myself ... not to be known as a man of few words. And Scott and Peter Jung came through. Not really critical but saying let's take it further. Take a better look at it for those not acquainted w cold molded boats. It worked too.

I meant to send you a PM too but forgot.

It's all good, and good idea starting another thread!:thumb: I'm a fan of Carolina cold molded sportfishers my self. :)

Greetings,

As the topic was "Fantail" it was thought that an example of a commercial boat sporting same would be timely in terms of seeing a boat in action. Enjoy- Al

40' Comercial troller

This is the perfect hull for the day we live in. The more things change the more it remains the same. We have made the circle. Trouble is the wood and I assume the fact it is set up for commercial. This hull, with modern engine, set up for pleasure-live aboard small cockpit large cabin and huge bridge is a fuel sippin, respectable speed, most any seas boat...Perfect...

Hello,

How is the work on your boat progressing?

Cheers,
Jerry S.
S. Florida
Boatless

17 new custom windows by Bomon, Flagship Marine heating/A/C. Three new battery banks, Entirely new DC and AC systems, Granite counter tops, Side power bow thruster, rebuilt all interior decks with many hinged panels for instant systems and engine access, 12X13 bimini over the cockpit, took 8' off the mast so I could do the Erie Canal (just got back), rigged the boom to swing a hammpck out over the water, built a proper (ABYC) propane locker, new refrigeration, all new LED lights inside and out.

I'm making progress :)

Attachments

• 002 (5).JPG
    002 (5).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 91
Wow sounds great share some pictures please

17 new custom windows by Bomon, Flagship Marine heating/A/C. Three new battery banks, Entirely new DC and AC systems, Granite counter tops, Side power bow thruster, rebuilt all interior decks with many hinged panels for instant systems and engine access, 12X13 bimini over the cockpit, took 8' off the mast so I could do the Erie Canal (just got back), rigged the boom to swing a hammpck out over the water, built a proper (ABYC) propane locker, new refrigeration, all new LED lights inside and out.

I'm making progress :)

Slacker!

Aha, a TF member that actually bought a trawler. A rare happening indeed. Anchor type?

LED lights by Ikea. Just like my last boat.
Gimme a few minutes I'll add some photos

Attachments

• 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 67
old windows removal - new windows ...

Attachments

• old window removal.JPG
    old window removal.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 73
  • old windows new.JPG
    old windows new.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 68
more before and after windows ...

Attachments

• old bow.JPG
    old bow.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 67
  • old bow 2.JPG
    old bow 2.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 52
More before and after windows

Attachments

• old back windows.JPG
    old back windows.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 73
  • old back windows 2.JPG
    old back windows 2.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 72
old galley - new galley under construction

Attachments

• old galley.jpg
    old galley.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 68
  • old galley rebuild.JPG
    old galley rebuild.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 81
old saloon - new saloon under construction .... that'll do for now. I gotta get back to work.

Attachments

• old saloon.JPG
    old saloon.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 66
  • old saloon rebuild.JPG
    old saloon rebuild.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 69
Nice work Indeed! Please keep us informed on the progress. We all like DIY.

Very nice work . I love the windows . Beautiful trawler .

Boatpoker, as my late old friend, Ben Harker (his folks were Harkers Island N.c people)., would say, "Now, that is a proper boat". Indeed it is. Great work.:thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom