Coaster 23 by Lovett/Chudley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport Bob

Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
Coaster 23
I am looking for information on the Coaster 23 designed by Lovett/Chudley and built by RFC Marine of Sidney British Columbia. The Coaster is a trailerable mini trawler built in the late 70s early 80s. *She was to be powered by diesel 24-75 hp. *Some were powered by a Pathfinder diesel 50 hp engine. *Her underwater lines were very similar to a small Albin.

Thanking you in advance for any information that is provided.

Bob,
We had an Albin for 6 years. Great boat. Would like to see pics of the Coaster 23. Did you post on Boat Design?

Eric,

Thank you for the reply. *I am in the process of buying the Coaster. *Here is a picture of her, I hope.

Attachments

• badger 10002.jpg
    badger 10002.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 468
Bob,
I've seen these boats,probably in BC. I probably thought they were Maple Bay boats in the past. And I see YOU were the one talking about the Coaster on B Design.
The boat in the pic looks like it is stern light. Not a good thing. Many Uniflites looked that way. Perhaps the designer established the cabin attitude and gunnel from the keel not taking into account the stern will float higher in the water. Not very smart for a marine architect I'd say. My friend here w the 31' Uniflite needs to get the boat op to 10 or 12 knots before the house is visually level. Thanks for the picture Bob.

Eric,Thank you for your reply and observation. *May I ask how you came to your observation that the Coaster was light in the stern? *I do not see what you see. *The engine is in the dead centre and the tanks are placed properly. *Would this issue show up in marine survey? *Should I be worried about this issue as a possible future owner? *What are the consequences of a light stern as you have indicated that this would be a serious mistake of marine design? *I have attached a couple of pictures to see if you notice anything else.

Thank you for your expert observations. Cheers

Attachments

• badger 10004.jpg
    badger 10004.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 370
  • img_0791.jpg
    img_0791.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 689
  • img_0793_1.jpg
    img_0793_1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 330
Bob,
Boats that are very pointy (low prismatic coefficient) in the bow and wide and full at the stern (mine is thus) may have a very unbalanced state between their center of flotation and center of gravity if the center of gravity is centered and the center of floatation or lift is far aft. Seeing the Coaster out of water leads me to believe the center of flotation and weight are matched quite well. But in your 2nd post the rooftop and windows slant downwards as one goes fwd. This tells me the designer didn't know what the pitch attitude of the boat would be. Your boat, being an inboard means the engine must be about in the center of the boat or even fwd. The only way to trim the boat properly is to have a great deal of heavy gear aft. Fuel, water, batteries and such. Even if the designer is successful by moving other stuff aft the boat is not ideal as the ideal boat has most or all the heavy stuff centered in the boat. Not to worry though. It looks like you're boat is well balanced***** ..except the visual effect of the windows and roof. I would love to have a hull to convert to an outboard.
PS** That would be a perfect boat for a 55hp Yanmar 4JH.
The older Albins were nearly a displacement hull and the later ones had a hooked bottom aft so were quite speed limited.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 3rd of January 2011 09:36:23 PM

I'm curious about how one would best handle the anchor on such a boat, as equipped.* Bring up the anchor from the forward hatch?* Drop the anchor from the stern and walk the rode to the bow?

Mark,
I've had some thoughts about anchoring from the stern on Willy. Anchoring from the bow has windage issues. Bow swings back and forth and when it's blow'in the bow flails back and forth jerking the rode hard trying to break out the anchor. Not good. Anchoring from the stern should render the boat much more stable in the wind**** ...like an arrow. If one draged onto the beach at least it would probably be bow first so you won't be jamming your prop and rudder first thing onto the beach. Stern cockpits are usually more secure. BUT one must keep the anchor rode out of the propeller. Shouldn't really be that much of a problem but one would need to be attentive.
As for Bob's beautiful boat that I was criticizing a day ago (I'm lusting over her now) I see no other choice but to have light ground tackle, keep it in a box, push or pull it up through the fwd hatch and deploy it conventionally. Alternatively one could lay the rode in a figure 8 over two posts (like FF does) and use an anchor like a Danforth or Fortress (for this boat the Fortress would be great since the bow won't carry much weight) but I think I'd anchor from the stern. Run the down the anchor until it hits bottom, ease fwd and pay out the rode as you would from the bow. I don't see how one could transfer the anchor line from one end to the other on this boat.

Eric and Mark,

Excellent discussion about anchoring. *The Coaster has a properly drained anchor locker in the bow. *It does not show up in the pictures. *She also has a bow roller that is not installed.
I have added a picture of the interior and of the Pathfinder engine for information.

Attachments

• img_0808_1.jpg
    img_0808_1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 434
  • img_0798_1.jpg
    img_0798_1.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 333
Bob,
Still love the boat. That's a Beta* ..isn't it? They are really good Kabota engines. Keep the anchor and rode light. What's it's displacment? Guessing 5 or 6 Klbs. Are you going to the boat show w the group?

nomadwilly wrote:

But in your 2nd post the rooftop and windows slant downwards as one goes fwd. This tells me the designer didn't know what the pitch attitude of the boat would be.
Eric---

The whole photo slants downward.* Here is the photo with the horizon corrected to level using Photoshop.* If you put the picture in Photoshop and run a level line across the horizon and then move it to the tops and bottoms of the window you will find that they are exactly parallel.

I'm not saying the boat is balanced or anything about the centers of weight in relationship to anything else.* Only that the boat is, in fact, floating level with regards to the windows.* The design itself makes it look a bit bow heavy but this is a factor of the lines, not the way the boat is actually floating.* The fact that the sheerline above and the rub strip below the dark stripe on the hull curve up a bit toward the stern adds to that illusion of bow-heaviness.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 09:56:05 PM

Attachments

• badger 10002 level.jpg
    badger 10002 level.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 323
nomadwilly wrote:

*I don't see how one could transfer the anchor line from one end to the other on this boat.
One could "tippy-toe" alongside the main cabin, holding onto the hand rail on the roof with one hand and holding the rode in the other,*but I'd not want to do it unless the water was calm.** Got PFD?

Bob, please install the bow roller with anchor.* We'll all sleep better.

nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
I've had some thoughts about anchoring from the stern on Willy. ...
But Willy is double-ended (no square stern), giving him greater anchoring options.* Most of us don't/won't have that advantage.* And neither do the Nordic Tugs.

The Coot's stern:

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 02:22:39 AM

Mark,
Why are you thinking stern anchoring would be more appropriate for Willy w her bath tub stern? Did you have anchoring w waves coming from aft in mind? That's the only condition I can think of that would give Willy an advantage. We can easily put bow rollers on the stern as we put them on the bow can we not? With your bigger boats you would need winches and chain locker infrastructure to do as you do on the bow on the stern. Some would think it just too radical and unconventional to even think about. For me it's gobs of fun to question things that haven't been questioned for decades or perhaps forever. Sometimes I learn why we do the things we do the way we do by doing or thinking about doing things another way. One thing I would not like about stern anchoring is that the wind would be fresh over the stern not shielded by the house and cabin structure fwd. On your coot Mark the little wavelets caused by a breeze would make a bit of noise under the stern**** ...unlike Willy. If I put the rudder on the bow of Willy and turned the prop around she would go quite well w her new fish form hull. How bout that Marin**** ..a "tractor" boat. For non-aviation boaters here a "tractor" aircraft has it's porp in the front "pulling" and a "pusher" has engine and prop aft. We boaters must be more conventional than fliers (judging from the preceding as tractor boats are almost unheard of) but pilots are one of the most conservative groups I've ever met so one can see where that leaves us boaters.

nomadwilly wrote:How bout that Marin**** ..a "tractor" boat.

It seems to work for big tugs, although I'm not sure exactly what their running gear configuration is since I've never seen one out of the water.* Probably not too practical for small recreational boats the sizes of ours, though.......

Attachments

• lindsey.jpg
    lindsey.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 262
nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
Why are you thinking stern anchoring would be more appropriate for Willy w her bath tub stern? Did you have anchoring w waves coming from aft in mind? That's the only condition I can think of that would give Willy an advantage.
Yes, I was thinking of waves.* A square transom is going to "take it in the chin."

Mark,
You mean slap and pound? Yea** ..not good. What's Nordic Tug got to do w this????
Marin,
You're right (98%) I think. I do think the angle of the camera shot to the boat could be a bit off and help w the illusion as well. Also the horizon on the right is much further away than the horizon on the left**** ...if we could see through the boat we'd see a jog in it.
But that's mostly fly stuff. Your'e right and the boat would benefit (visually) if it were all white.
The most awesome tug would have 2 counter rotating propellers at both ends.
Marin,
I went back to look and the horizon is WAY slanted. Can't believe I didn't see that!

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 11:22:25 PM

nomadwilly wrote:

Also the horizon on the right is much further away than the horizon on the left**** ...if we could see through the boat we'd see a jog in it.
Sorry, bad wording on my part.* I should have referred to the level of the water in the distance, not the actual horizon.* Moving a line parallel to the water "horizon"*down to the window line shows the window line and the surface of the*water are parallel.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 11:56:40 PM

nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
You mean slap and pound? Yea** ..not good. What's Nordic Tug got to do w this????
Eric, you've recently been coveting Nordic Tugs.

Yea*** ..and it sounds like you consider that a sin. I can't find anything better and the search is getting tiresome*** ...not as fun as it was a month ago. I probably should just stand down. Last boat to lust over was a 50' Navy conversion like FFs.

nomadwilly wrote:

Yea*** ..and it sounds like you consider that a sin. I can't find anything better and the search is getting tiresome***
Not really.* The NTs were runners-up in my trawler selection.*

Still, I'm a bit surprised by your attraction.* NTs lack the qualities you seem to*like about Willy: double ended, sailboat-like hull form, and not over-powered.* And Willy is quite handsome and less plastic-like.

Eric, I'm curious as to how you would carry your dinghy on a NT.

Sailor of Fortune,
Ontario. Don't know about the one in Calif. Should I look for it? Needs to be under $100K.
I wonder if I could run the Ontario boat home on it's own bottom??? THAT would be a trip for a good post!
Mark,
There's almost no FD hulls out there but the NTs are closer than most. They have a bit of rocker in their aft sections. I like disp not double enders and even most of the FD hulls are over powered. But Willy is more handsome and less plastic. You'd be surprised how many people think it's a wood boat.
Dinghy on the Nordy? On the swim step like most others.

nomadwilly wrote:Mark,
There's almost no FD hulls out there but the NTs are closer than most. They have a bit of rocker in their aft sections. I like disp not double enders and even most of the FD hulls are over powered. But Willy is more handsome and less plastic. You'd be surprised how many people think it's a wood boat.
Dinghy on the Nordy? On the swim step like most others.
I disdain swim steps.* I prefer*staying dry, and the steps are something else that can break off.

Save Willy!

The one in Ontario seems like a good deal. Especially since it will be had for less than the asking price due to limited appeal. Most people would bypass this boat due to 1977 age. As you know, these navy boats spend most of their life indoors aboard ships. This is for all practical purposes a 2005 boat. Nice John Deere power, very good looking cabin and pilothouse and professionally done interior with late model electronics. I would think this boat would be worthy of a closer look if it fits your needs.
The one in California has been for sale for some time. It has kind of a funky set up. Someone on boatdesign was talking about getting this boat for around 40k. It has an asking price around 100k. If I remember correctly they said it had a leaky fuel tank. Since it is still on YW last time I checked, the sale apparently didn't happen. It is set up for diving rather than cruising and has the
6-71 with a manual transmission.
Good luck Eric, keep us posted.

S of F,Thank you very much for the update. Yes The Ontario boat looks very good to me * *...a bit too big but I can rent a 50' slip here in Thorne Bay for about $800 a year. The Calif boat dos'nt sound good at all. I'm waiting for the Ontario owner to call. Do you think I could run that boat 7.5 to 8 knots on less than 3gph? The Deere engine could possibly make that happen. Many people would'nt buy a 50' boat w only 1 head. NT would prolly be a bit more suited to my needs but I do like the Escapade.

I think you could be very close to 3 gallons/hr. That is a really nice boat IMHO. As you know they are overbuilt/sailor proof and of fire retardant resin. I think it was FF that said when they do the fglass lay-up, they don't stop until the hull is complete. No "secondary" bonds. This is part of the Navy requirements. I told my wife that if we were in a position to buy something now, that would be the boat. I also told her it probably would sell quickly or languish on the market due to not
very wide appeal. Good luck-good choice.

"I think it was FF that said when they do the fglass lay-up, they don't stop until the hull is complete. No "secondary" bonds"

Not only that the hull is 100% roving , with no mat between layers.

This allows a higher glass to resin ratio, stronger and lighter.

7k under 3gph no sweat , we do it with a 6-71 , the deere might get you to 8K same burm , as well as 1000lbs lighter.

Only thing you loose is the sweet DD exhaust note.

Eric
My next boat WILL BE a Navy 40' personnel boat. The double cabin version. I loved my Albin 25
but it was to small (I'm 6'4" 280 lbs). As you know, the Albins are Fun! I don't want anyone elses interpretation of a cabin setup-I have seen some very nice ones, but I want to start from scratch.
A willard version would be the preference, with the 6-71 (or no power).In keeping with the albin theme, I would have state room aft and galley dinette in fwd cabin. The center cockpit would have a full length hard top over it with the pilothouse enclosed.
The gov't still has them at sealed bid for peanuts-provided you know your usually not getting a turn key boat. This will be rigged very simply/spartan by some standards. These boats have no wide spread appeal and it would only be rigged for my taste. No flybridge/bow thruster/night vision
cameras, inflatable tenders,stidd seats, IPS drives, latest anchor swivels, cappacino machines etc.
It will be a safe no nonsense cruising motor boat for my wife and I to play in from our home base of St Augustine, Fl. Right now the Tug keeps me busy for half the time and real estate keeps me busy when I'm off the tug.
Ive always maintained that I don't find boats, they find me! Ill document the whole process here when the time comes.
You had an Albin 25 so you can probably relate.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
My next boat WILL BE a Navy 40' personnel boat. The double cabin version.
Jack, will you ready*when 40-something guests come aboard?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom