Victoria, BC to the Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, my oil problems are not resolved. Currently underway and the engine pan is filling up again. I took a good video of the drip and will post it once I'm in Astoria with WiFi. It appears to be coming from the seal between the sump and the transmission. Is that the rear oil seal?

Also, thanks for all the PMs from Astoria folks. Can any of you recommend a mechanic to replace the seal? Based on the number of components in the way I don't think this is a job I want to take on myself.

You might want to call Brian at American Diesel. He can give you guidance and mail you the parts needed for the job.

England Marine (Marine parts) just about 3 blocks from the marina maybe able to recommend someone. They open at 9 I think. See you entering the bar. We are leaving and will meet you at the dock.

England Marine (Marine parts) just about 3 blocks from the marina maybe able to recommend someone. They open at 9 I think. See you entering the bar. We are leaving and will meet you at the dock.

Thanks again to you and Kay for the warm welcome!

We are now in Astoria! Does anyone know where I can buy an "I crossed the Columbia River bar with 50 yards visibility and survived" t-shirt? The fog was brutal! That's two socked-in bars in a row. I guess that's Faugust.

Anytime. Look forward to dinner tomorrow. Hope you can find a mechanic. Welcome to Oregon. BTW very nice boat!

Great Blog thanks for posting. We're looking to go uphill from SF next year. If you need any help with SF to San Diego happy to help, just finished that trip and the boat is still in Marina Del Rey for a couple of months before we bring her back uphill. Safe Travels. CB

Oil leak

Could be a rear engine seal. If so oil would likely accumulate in the bell housing and leak out between it and the engine. There's no gasket between them.
Hope this is not the case though. You'd have to remove the transmission and the bell housing to verify. I've done this and it's no small task. Depending on the model the transmission weighs around 150 lbs. It's difficult to move in a confined area.
I've been told that the oil pan must be removed to change the rear seal on a Lehman. Never done it though. Might have to lift the engine for access.
Good luck, I hope you find the leak is somewhere else.

Great Blog thanks for posting. We're looking to go uphill from SF next year. If you need any help with SF to San Diego happy to help, just finished that trip and the boat is still in Marina Del Rey for a couple of months before we bring her back uphill. Safe Travels. CB

Thanks CB. I'm sure I'll have some questions when the time comes.

Wow- that's a major oil leak. Any news yet??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Wow- that's a major oil leak. Any news yet??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Spoke with Brian at American Diesel. Even though I had been running with too much oil, he thinks it's extremely unlikely that the rear main oil seal is leaking. I've got a mechanic in Astoria that will hopefully be available Monday or Tuesday to begin the disassembly and get to the bottom of the problem.

In other news, I made the mistake of leaving by Bimini up... A major storm just blew through the marina and apparently it's been damaged. I got a guy to take it all down and stow it, but I won't know the extent of the damage until I get back to Astoria (currently up in Portland enjoying a couple of days away from the boat). Learning all sorts of things the hard way!

Yow. Keep us posted :).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back in Astoria on the boat. Fortunately one of our neighbours came over during the windstorm on Saturday and lashed everything down as best he could. One of the plexiglass visors on the flybridge was smashed into a dozen pieces and the stitching failed on some of the bimini pieces but I haven't tried to put it back up yet to see the extent of the damage. We are extremely grateful for this kind neighbour!! Even some of our seat cushions were floating in the water and he managed to get them all back on board. I also paid a guy $100 to stow everything in the lazarette, which was a small price to pay for peace of mind while we were out of town.

One of the cleats we were tied to was ripped right out of the jetty. Apparently max winds were in excess of 75mph.

Just doing some quick Googling and it doesn't sound like it'll be too expensive to get the bimini fixed when the time comes. A couple hundred dollars and hopefully we'll be back in business. In the future if there's any sort of brisk breeze in the forecast it'll all be stowed beforehand.

20kt winds are currently blowing through the marina and it feels like we're at sea with all the rolling around. I can only imagine what it would have felt like on Saturday. I think we got away with one.

As for the diesel, I spoke with American Diesel last week and Brian insisted that failure of the rear main oil seal was very unlikely, even while running with excess oil. The problem was likely elsewhere.

The mechanic came back yesterday and we ran the engine for about an hour with 10 minutes of that at 2000 RPM. Over the course of the hour it only dripped two or three times! We're wondering if the loss of oil was simply old oil that had accumulated in the flywheel housing from when I previously ran with excessive oil, and maybe now it's all gone? Perhaps the lower oil level in the sump this time around was actually due to running hard for over an hour during the two bar crossings we completed last time out, and I'm falsely linking it with the dripping of old oil from the flywheel housing.

Anyway, suffice it to say that we couldn't re-create the problem. The oil's been topped up and we are ready to head out as soon as the weather improves, likely Friday or Saturday. I will implement an increased monitoring regime in the engine room and go from there. By the way, if you ever need a diesel mechanic in Astoria, I highly recommend Mark at Coast Diesel. He's very thorough and competent.

If we get a good 3-4 day weather window we will consider another overnight passage and try to put a good chunk of Oregon in our rearview mirror. Getting a little anxious about getting down to California but also not going to put ourselves in any sort of dangerous situation.

END SITREP!!

Victrawler

You have now learned the definition of "securing your boat before you leave." It's quite a bit broader than you might have previously thought.

Glad the damage was minimal. I heard some boats were damaged.

If you decide to make an overnight run, may I suggest Crescent City CA as the stopping over place. It is the only marina on the upper west coast that is not influenced by a river, meaning no bar crossing. If you guys need anything, let us know, we are only an hour away.

I second the comment on Crescent City. A good no-stress stop.

I suggest entering and exiting in the day-light though - not because it is difficult - it is to avoid the huge number of crab-pots around there! It seemed like a slalom course getting in and out and around Point St George.

Good luck!

Capes Blonco and Mendocino will be the challenge. Cape Mendocino can be dicey at times, but once you are past it you are good down to SF. Watch the buoys for information.

Vic-
Sounds like the boat is doing better, sorry to hear of the Canvas blow out. I just got home from spending a month redoing all my canvas up in Portland. If I was still there I could have loaded up the Sailrite and headed your way to help you out.
Hang in there bud, your doing great!

Appreciate the words of encouragement!

I'm currently planning the next leg. I also have Crescent City as a goal (46 hr run) with off-ramps available at Garibaldi, Cape Lookout (anchorage), Newport, and Winchester Bay. I'll probably throw in another between Winchester and Crescent City.

Friday looks like the opening of at least 48 hrs of good weather. Just need the Columbia River bar to go green.

I'm currently planning the next leg. I also have Crescent City as a goal (46 hr run) with off-ramps available at Garibaldi, Cape Lookout (anchorage), Newport, and Winchester Bay. I'll probably throw in another between Winchester and Crescent City.

Friday looks like the opening of at least 48 hrs of good weather. Just need the Columbia River bar to go green.

So you've decided not to just harbor hop along the way?

Don't like Oregon much, eh :eek:

Capes Blonco and Mendocino will be the challenge. Cape Mendocino can be dicey at times, but once you are past it you are good down to SF. Watch the buoys for information.

The waves can build around Point Reyes (just north of SF). On my trip down Mendocino and Blanco were tame - but following seas built to 15'+ around Point Reyes. We were anchoring for the night in Drakes Bay so we were close in to shore. Staying a bit further out will reduce the risk.

Richard

You know, there is no need to get in a hurry.

There is a harbor at Gerabaldi, probably 40 or 50 miles from Astoria.

Then another 50 or 60 miles south of that is Newport

You can do this trip and actually see Oregon by doing day trips.

Oregon is a nice place. I've been to pretty much every town along the coast by car and would love the opportunity to explore the towns further while parked safely in the many harbors along the way.

For the San Fran Bar this is some material we found very educational. Before we did our research we didn't realize how we needed to be mindful of it.

The San Francisco Bar | CoastsideFishingClub.com

(And we did get beaten up pretty well in Bonita Channel - the route we selected - but that is another story!)

You know, there is no need to get in a hurry.

There is a harbor at Gerabaldi, probably 40 or 50 miles from Astoria.

Then another 50 or 60 miles south of that is Newport

You can do this trip and actually see Oregon by doing day trips.

Oregon is a nice place. I've been to pretty much every town along the coast by car and would love the opportunity to explore the towns further while parked safely in the many harbors along the way.

I guess what's going through my mind is that we've had a week of unseasonable weather and I'm worried that if we don't book it south we'll lose our window of opportunity. I complete realize, however, that I'm being irrational.

I guess what's going through my mind is that we've had a week of unseasonable weather and I'm worried that if we don't book it south we'll lose our window of opportunity. I complete realize, however, that I'm being irrational.

Yes :)

You had a storm or two roll through.

September is actually pretty dry and nice in Oregon.

Astoria always sucks. I've been in Astoria several times and it always was crappy there.

Lots of neat places along the way. I used to fish Tillimook Bay when I lived in Oregon, and loved Geribaldi, and the town of Tilimook. You might stop there and tour the cheese factory.

Haven't spent enough time in Newport but Coos Bay is a woonderful little town. Lots of Antique stores to Browse. My son spent two years at USCG Station Coos Bay on one of the motor lifeboats there.

All you have to think about is the next port. 50-60 miles, or 8 hours travel max. If you time your bar departures for slack tide, and time the next bar crossing for slack tide or cloose you'll be good to go. The distances between harbors work out almost perfect to catch slack tides or close.

That might mean leaving before dawn some times, so be it. Thats allot better than arriving after dark.

Last edited:
After nine days we finally left Astoria at 0520 this morning. There was a mad rush of boats all heading for the bar at the same time. The sun rose and we celebrated when the "no restrictions" announcement came across VHF 22a. Had a southerly wind on us for most of the trip to Garibaldi so it took 10 hours to get there but it was an otherwise great day. Crossed into Tilamook Bay on the flood without issue.

Tomorrow morning we depart for Newport at 0600.

Still have oil dripping all over the place. Going to keep topping up and going for now. I guess it only shows itself when the transmission is engaged or if the boat is rolling and pitching because it never dripped when we ran it at the jetty with the transmission in neutral...

Well, I hope you are having a nice dinner in Gearbaldi, and hope you have a nice safe trip tomorrow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom