Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We need one of these.

Attachments

• eye-bleach.jpg
    eye-bleach.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 572
Too much luvin in one spot for this little rooster. I guess they are Texans, everythin is bigger in Taxas.

Thanks RTF I don`t feel so bad about my shitty job now.

I think the boat is going to need a bigger boat if that were the crew.[ Ginger and Mary - Ann all grown up .]

David.

Greetings,
Mr. mahal. I fully agree. Please gentlemen, back to the thread topic. Interesting boats...NOT what small country these ladies are going to have for lunch.

To my knowledge there were only two of these 32 footers built, this one and MINE .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Another pic. The builder built a few 38 ft and about forty 26' tugs .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 89
Sweet...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

RT. I just threw my pint of Ben & Jerry's overboard. Thanks a lot.

This Romsdahl type trawler pulled in behind Blue Sky this morning. Will try to get a better photo once the rain stops.

Had a quick chat with the owner, and we immediately got into a discussion about anchors....

Now called "Solar Flare" former name "Viking Fijord"
She fell into very hard times but is now being nursed back to health.:thumb:

Ted

Now called "Solar Flare" former name "Viking Fijord"
She fell into very hard times but is now being nursed back to health.:thumb:

Ted

Good to hear - she looks like she has good bones.

Thanks Ted.

Reactions: Ted
The girls?

Heck No!!! That great looking ship you shared! We like our girls a little less maintenance here in the South!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

This came up in a meeting yesterday. It''s the ideal Christmas gift for the boat owner who has everything. The AquaJet was uilt by Boeing in the 1960s for research into high-speed hydrofoils this boat, designed after the "pickle-fork" hydroplanes of the era, was powered by a jet engine. The boat was in use for some time, and was later re-powered with an even bigger jet engine, the one in the photo.

The test structure between the sponsons was used to measure water pressures. This data was then used in the design of foils.

The boat was used only on Lake Washington and only under calm conditions. In it's final form it was capable of 150 mph.

It would make a great dinghy for those quick runs to town.

Attachments

• Aquajet.jpg
    Aquajet.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Hydrofoil test vessel.jpg
    Hydrofoil test vessel.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 108
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
Any dockside facilities there sell jet fuel?

The boat was used only on Lake Washington and only under calm conditions.

Marin, you just reconnected a couple of loose wires in my temporal lobe that allowed me to go back to about 1960. I remember seeing that thing on TV, likely KVOS out of Bellingham at the time.

It inspired two of us kids to order up some plans and build one in the back yard. Like the one in the pic. Put a 10 horse Merc. on it and thought we were real speed demons.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Hydroplane.jpg
    Hydroplane.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 137
Marin, was that boat turbine thrust powered or did it have a gearbox/prop? It is amazing how the size of turbines have downsized over the years. I presume that one had an centrifugal 1st stage compressor?

Looks like it was a "V" drive arrangement w shaft under the engine.
Must be 90% shaft drive 10% exhaust.

An interesting turbine for sure...looks like the majority of the combustion gases 'bypass' the hot turbine thus only a small percentage used to power the compressor section and the rest used for direct thrust?? Just a WAG from the pictures. I am familiar with the design on high bypass engines...but not bypassing the hot turbine section as shown. I will have to research that engine...pretty interesting to me:).

I believe all the tubes coming out the back is a noise reduction system. This kind of thing was being used on some of the jet transports during this timeframe. Given that the boat was used on Lake Washington, a residential lake, it would not surprise me if the boat was equipped with something in an attempt to reduce the noise.

Thanks, Marin. After a closer look that would make sense as there are no thrust cones on the back ends of those tubes.

Saw this in the shipyard at La Conner - long way from home!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441654389.558807.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441654407.480182.jpg

These kids have little means... great hope... good energy...and, intuitiveness galore. Saw them this weekend while we were getting ice with our runabout!

:thumb:

Attachments

• 55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 161

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom