Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 advice/opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first photo is a typical Beneteau nickel plated, NPS brass ball valve fitted on a brass NPT throughull. Note there is no backing plate nor an NPT/NPS adapter.

The second photo is a proper flanged seacock installation with both flange and throughull being NPS.

Attachments

• valve proper.jpg
    valve proper.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,822
  • valve beneteau.jpg
    valve beneteau.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 152
and one more photo to show why NPT/NPS should concern you.
Note how few of the NPT threads (left side) are actually engaged in the NPS fitting.

Attachments

• seacock tapered straight.jpg
    seacock tapered straight.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 993
Good info, Poker. I'm sure NPS has it's place, but I avoid it whenever it's possible. I recently watched a friend put a very high quality european hot-water heater in his Krogen. The heater had all NPS fittings. Getting it to stop leaking was a real trial.

"Beneteau" = Bayliner in French

Any and every method to reducing production cost!

"Beneteau" = Bayliner in French

Any and every method to reducing production cost!

Correction!!

"Beneteau" = Bayliner Wannabe in French"

Any boat manufacturer that would do this on a production boat should be shut down. I would find it very hard to believe that in 2015 anyone is doing this but there are a lot of small builders of boats.

Beneteau is a mass producer of boats, and unfortulately they happen not to be a U.S. based company. I tried very hard to find an equivalent U.S. based value but those which I compared were not built to the same standards as the Beneteau, thus my final choice going their direction. To put this in perspective consider that 99% of the automobiles built today are also mass produced in the same fashion. Beneteau's production methods are very efficient, because of this. They spend a lot of time with customers feedback to learn what they can do better and each year more improvements show up on their boats. Sometimes simple things like the new rain guard above the salon window where the upper deck drains, and sometimes major things like upgrading from the 5.9 Cummins to the 6.7 (both are still available, do you think that was a cost cutting measure?), and every year upgrading the electronics to the latest. Every year Ms. Beneteau (the owner) gets together with her world-wide sales staff to ask them about what customers want, or what they don't like about the boats, and they fix those things. They are passionate about their products all the way to the top. Boat for boat, their safety record is unparalelled over many decades. Beneteau is a very well run company, and being in France that is quite an accomplishment on its own as they are dealing in the Euro. They own Jeanneau, and other very good but affordable boat lines. Beneteau is best described as the "Chevrolet" of boats, not the Bayliner of boats. Bayliner have given up on big boats and comparing them to Beneteau is complete ignorance exhibited. Bayliner is great with small entry level runabouts, no question about that, and they are well made today. Contrary to leaving the big boats business, Beneteau is one of the fastest growing boat manufacturers in the world, and it is due to the products they make, and the value. I've had BMW's, Land Rovers, Oldsmobiles, etc. over the years but I drive Chevrolet's today. Today's Chevy is much better than any BMW or Land Rover I owned, by a long shot. Look at the content of a Swift 34; QSB6.7 Cummins engine, arguably the most advanced diesel of its size on the water today, top of the line Onan Generator, Isolated end grained cubed balsa-core decks and hull (over 1" thick, very strong, can't waterlog due to the fiberglass barriers between cubes, solid as a rock), vacuum bagged fiberglass infusion process to be sure the glass gets between the balsa cubes, they use the top fiberglass resins available anywhere (due to EPA ones that can't be used in the US any more I am told), Raymarine very latest electronics, Fusion stereo equipment throughout, bow and stern thrusters with dual batteries standard, fully optioned under $400,000. If this boat were custom built this way it would be at least $600,000 or more to do it if it could even be done by a smaller builder. And the company is financially healthy; always have been. I doubt the method they use of end grain cube type balsa coring the hull and decks could even be done by any custom builder. I have benefitted greatly from this forum, and learned a lot about seacocks and valves. Having owned boats my whole life including a very well built Donzi cabin cruiser that I miss dearly, and a Ranger run-about that defined boat building perfection, and some other aluminum junk from the past that I am better off to forget, I have an eye for quality but I am a newbie to trawlers only having researched for 4 years to decide what new one I wanted to purchase. I think trashing mass produced boats is based on ignorance more than actual knowledge, and really doesn't belong on a forum unless the builder of the boat deserves it. Beneteau's are in demand these days and they also have very good resale value. I think that speaks volumes.

I really appreciate the education about seacocks and valves and connections.

Joebad

I think you'll be one more of many dozens of very happy Beneteau Swift Trawler owners. While I said not my choice before knowing you'd already purchased one and in response to the original OP, I think now knowing you're purchasing one some of the posts have been a bit disrespectful of you, unintentionally, in disrespecting the boat. It's like most brands, there are those who love it and those who don't. Just don't let the negative comments discourage you. Everyone I've talked to who actually owned one has liked it. Many have repurchased larger models. They are what they are and fill a niche and is largely ignored otherwise.

You clearly have done your homework, just enjoy.

I do agree with you regarding mass producers as well. Forgetting Beneteau for a second, Bayliner has endured the test of time. Sea Ray builds excellent boats. Meanwhile there are some low volume producers building junk. Nothing inherently negative about mass producers.

Thanks, that said the customs, antiques, and high end american boats are the most intriguing to me. Im just looking fir a safe way to get started so i chose what i could afford that was new. Someday a Grand Banks or Marlowe maybe?

Joebad,
You are obviously invested, so am I, but I can tell you that absolutely no one from Beneteau has ever contacted me about my experience. Maybe a form letter / survey, at the most. We bought a new ST 44 in Annapolis in 2012 and feel kind of invisible.

By the way, we're very happy with the vessel. Most of the issues we've had have been resolved by the dealer or my engineering, but some remain open.

Always hungry for info. Thanks to you all.

I understand beneteau dont contact you directly but my dealer was flown to france to convey their experiences with customers and they told me dealers from around the world were brought to the annual event. Je said Ms Beneteau wanted to know each and every complaint or suggestion about each boat model and that this is a ritual with her. So they get the customer input from the dealers, much the same as the automakers do. That system is not perfect but it is good. Beneteau knows of your problems through the dealer because undoubtedly they paid for any warranty related work. Well stop by and see you this winter!!

Sunset Grille 2016- Swift 34

I understand beneteau dont contact you directly but my dealer was flown to france to convey their experiences with customers and they told me dealers from around the world were brought to the annual event. Je said Ms Beneteau wanted to know each and every complaint or suggestion about each boat model and that this is a ritual with her. So they get the customer input from the dealers, much the same as the automakers do. That system is not perfect but it is good. Beneteau knows of your problems through the dealer because undoubtedly they paid for any warranty related work. Well stop by and see you this winter!!

Sunset Grille 2016- Swift 34

There is one problem with them trusting all the feedback to the dealer. It's all censored and sculpted by the dealer. If it reflects negatively on the dealer or sounds like the dealer is being too critical then it's not going to reach above. Dealer feedback is good, but manufacturers are smart to also at least get some random direct customer input.

What Ms. Beneteau wants may not be what she gets. Too many people screening below her.

Any boat manufacturer that would do this on a production boat should be shut down. I would find it very hard to believe that in 2015 anyone is doing this but there are a lot of small builders of boats.

Big builder , small builder all the EU boats are regulated to some standard.

That this hole in the bottom meets ANY "standard" is unreal.

Here is a (poor) photo showing a thru-hull which leads to a strainer for my A/C.

What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 236
The use of straight threads puzzles me. Tapered threads are designed to compress creating both sealing and strength. Straight threads just keep turning into each other and will clamp things together like nuts and bolts but where does the sealing take place?

Here is a (poor) photo showing a thru-hull which leads to a strainer for my A/C.

What do you think?

I think that strainer is in adequate, also not the proper valve/ sea cock. Also it looks like the output of the HVAC pump output manifold isn't supported and can easily break with light flexing applied.

Joe,
I know that you're on your new 34.
How about the report on the sea cocks (ball valve discussion).
Other observations?

Swift Trawler 34, Seacocks, etc.

Now I have been on my new boat (Beneteau ST34) for 1 week, and I have been trained for the most part. First my overall impression of the boat is very positive. I have one small light bulb out, the only flaw in the boat (a reading light in the bedroom, busted filament, 50 cent bulb). The boat is very well thought out. An overabundance of storage space is noted, I was astounded by the storage. The lazarette is huge! The Onan generator is silent (can't even hear it start, have to check out back to see if it is running). The Cummins 6.7 is silent at idle and very quiet in and outside the cabin at full throttle. At idle you can barely hear it looking overboard directly at the exhaust and zero smoke! We went from St. Pete to Ft. Myers (130 miles or so) in 7.5 hours mostly at 17-18 knots through 3.5 footers. Storms were closing in abaft and we just avoided them all day, it was almost comical but they were always about 1-2 miles on our stern after we went through. We had to kick it up to 18 during the last 2 hours to stay ahead of them.

As for the seacocks, they are all bronze. I saw nothing wrong with chrome plated bronze for saltwater service as some had said they would be, but none of those are on this boat. I am elated to have bronze seacocks on this boat. All of the valves are ball valves and they all work very nicely. There are no NPT to NPS connections, nothing at all like that. As for the creaky and soft decks noted in past coms, I now know the facts. The floors throughout the Beneteau are floating floors. All of them can be lifted up and they sit on fiberglass flooring underneath, end grain balsa cored. Stiff beyond compare. Yes, the floating floors might creak if you step from one to another, but I haven't noticed that. All of the workmanship (fit and finish), latches, wipers, ice maker, AC units, windshield washers, strainers, raw water washdown, doors, hatches, ports, etc. work to perfection. The electronics are Raymarine's latest and again I am impressed, especially with the interface between the NAV gear, the AIS, the stereo, televisions, and speaker systems. My tender is an AB9.5 which fits nicely facing backwards. No problem hoisting it in or out of the drink, even though it weighs 300 pounds. I am finding all of the fittments to be of first quality, Raycor, Lewmar, huge cleats, stainless chafing rails, very stout rails around the boat, seat cushions, furniture, faucets, cooking gear (stove and oven), toilet, pumps, sound system, spotlight, backup camera, door latches, etc. The sides of the hull are very thick, someone had mentioned thin hulls; not on these boats. Light because of the end grain balsa core blocks, but not thin or flimsy by any measure. The boat came with 50' shorepower cords (two), 50' water hose, 50' cable, and is prewired for satellite and cable dish, etc.

So far my first impression is that my expectations have been exceeded. The training provided has been 2 days a delivery captain (accompanied us on the 130 mile trip), two electronics and systems technicians today for half a day, and Cummins tech scheduled for 21 September for that training. The dealer (Viage Group, Sarasota) have been amazing all along the way and they gave me a very good deal on the boat. Justin at Beneteau has been informative all along the way as well, always accessible, and responsive. For us we picked the right boat. My only mistake was buying a 15 hp Yamaha 4-stroke for my tender, it runs fine but I am used to running Evinrude ETEC motors (much smoother, quieter and more powerful). The Yamaha 15 is a real vibrator, but as I said it runs ok and the 15 hp ETEC is too heavy (it is a detuned 25 hp). Someone told me a Tohatsu is smoother (aka, Mercury, Evinrude portables). Now I would believe that! The AB boat however is outstanding!

After our first year on the boat I will report problems and how they were resolved.

Regards, Joebad

Now I have been on my new boat (Beneteau ST34) for 1 week, and I have been trained for the most part. First my overall impression of the boat is very positive. I have one small light bulb out, the only flaw in the boat (a reading light in the bedroom, busted filament, 50 cent bulb). The boat is very well thought out. An overabundance of storage space is noted, I was astounded by the storage. The lazarette is huge! The Onan generator is silent (can't even hear it start, have to check out back to see if it is running). The Cummins 6.7 is silent at idle and very quiet in and outside the cabin at full throttle. At idle you can barely hear it looking overboard directly at the exhaust and zero smoke! We went from St. Pete to Ft. Myers (130 miles or so) in 7.5 hours mostly at 17-18 knots through 3.5 footers. Storms were closing in abaft and we just avoided them all day, it was almost comical but they were always about 1-2 miles on our stern after we went through. We had to kick it up to 18 during the last 2 hours to stay ahead of them.

As for the seacocks, they are all bronze. I saw nothing wrong with chrome plated bronze for saltwater service as some had said they would be, but none of those are on this boat. I am elated to have bronze seacocks on this boat. All of the valves are ball valves and they all work very nicely. There are no NPT to NPS connections, nothing at all like that. As for the creaky and soft decks noted in past coms, I now know the facts. The floors throughout the Beneteau are floating floors. All of them can be lifted up and they sit on fiberglass flooring underneath, end grain balsa cored. Stiff beyond compare. Yes, the floating floors might creak if you step from one to another, but I haven't noticed that. All of the workmanship (fit and finish), latches, wipers, ice maker, AC units, windshield washers, strainers, raw water washdown, doors, hatches, ports, etc. work to perfection. The electronics are Raymarine's latest and again I am impressed, especially with the interface between the NAV gear, the AIS, the stereo, televisions, and speaker systems. My tender is an AB9.5 which fits nicely facing backwards. No problem hoisting it in or out of the drink, even though it weighs 300 pounds. I am finding all of the fittments to be of first quality, Raycor, Lewmar, huge cleats, stainless chafing rails, very stout rails around the boat, seat cushions, furniture, faucets, cooking gear (stove and oven), toilet, pumps, sound system, spotlight, backup camera, door latches, etc. The sides of the hull are very thick, someone had mentioned thin hulls; not on these boats. Light because of the end grain balsa core blocks, but not thin or flimsy by any measure. The boat came with 50' shorepower cords (two), 50' water hose, 50' cable, and is prewired for satellite and cable dish, etc.

So far my first impression is that my expectations have been exceeded. The training provided has been 2 days a delivery captain (accompanied us on the 130 mile trip), two electronics and systems technicians today for half a day, and Cummins tech scheduled for 21 September for that training. The dealer (Viage Group, Sarasota) have been amazing all along the way and they gave me a very good deal on the boat. Justin at Beneteau has been informative all along the way as well, always accessible, and responsive. For us we picked the right boat. My only mistake was buying a 15 hp Yamaha 4-stroke for my tender, it runs fine but I am used to running Evinrude ETEC motors (much smoother, quieter and more powerful). The Yamaha 15 is a real vibrator, but as I said it runs ok and the 15 hp ETEC is too heavy (it is a detuned 25 hp). Someone told me a Tohatsu is smoother (aka, Mercury, Evinrude portables). Now I would believe that! The AB boat however is outstanding!

After our first year on the boat I will report problems and how they were resolved.

Regards, Joebad

And that's the way a delivery and shakedown cruise should go. We've had quality starts like that. So many people discourage buying new, saying all the problems you'll have and many new boat purchasers of some brands find themselves with issues at the time of delivery.

But this was done right and you're getting proper training on your boat. A new boat should be just like yours has been. I applaud Viage to this point and hope it continues.

As to the boat, the design and concept certainly hit a market looking for something like it. The delivery, the quality of the product is then the next question and I hope yours meets every expectation.

Did you use both helms?

Congratulations on your boat and happy experience. Something tells me you will continue to have good experiences on your new boat.

I used the main helm mostly because it was stifling hot and the gulf was rough. However i didbmove to the bridge and lived it up there. I hope this winter most of my miles will be from the flybridge helm. It is so easy to switch depending on weather but the lower helm is very comfortable and easy to use. Visibility from both helms is exceptional.

As for the seacocks, they are all bronze. I saw nothing wrong with chrome plated bronze for saltwater service as some had said they would be

Regards, Joebad

How do you know they are bronze under the "chrome" (it's actually nickel).Please direct me to a manufacturer who chrome plates bronze ball valves (which are not seacocks) I don't think you'll find one. I suggest you research the markings on the valve .... you'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Joe,
Great review! Thanks for taking the time.

What other boats have you owned / operated?

Also, the max load on our tender crane is 120kg, which equates to 264 lbs. With your tender weighing 300 lbs. you could be over the limit. Just asking.

I've had a dozen boats, but nothing large, a 23' Sea Sprite Escapade cuddy cabin (good fresh water boat, deep prow), a 26' Donzi family cruiser-255 LXC (great boat rigged for saltwater, we did a lot of SW Florida-Tortugas excursions on that one), A Ranger Fish and Ski with ETEC 150 (most awesome boat of them all), and a number of deck, fish and ski, and fishing boats of aluminum construction over the years. Have piloted many houseboats to 90', Cruisers up to 35', etc. This is my first trawler and first diesel powered boat.

I saw them in some European boat seacock photos, about all of the bronze valve balls are chrome plated bronze, and some of the Euro valves were at least in the past chrome plated. Someone in one post talked about them. I had chrome plated bronze fittings on my Donzi; all through hull and above water fittings were made this way for the Donzi. There wasn't a plastic fitting on that boat. My through hull valves were bronze on the Donzi. That's all I know. If you want to find a manufacturer of chrome plated bronze valves I suggest you hit google and search. I'm not interested in them.

I saw them in some European boat seacock photos, about all of the bronze valve balls are chrome plated bronze, and some of the Euro valves were at least in the past chrome plated. Someone in one post talked about them. I had chrome plated bronze fittings on my Donzi; all through hull and above water fittings were made this way for the Donzi. There wasn't a plastic fitting on that boat. My through hull valves were bronze on the Donzi. That's all I know. If you want to find a manufacturer of chrome plated bronze valves I suggest you hit google and search. I'm not interested in them.

So show us a photo of the markings on your ball valves (not seacocks).

Last edited:
Of course they exist. Sigma Aldrich makes 1/4 turn chrome plated bronze ball valves as do other valve manufacturers. If you want some I can put you in touch with Flo-Source in Mooresville, Indiana.

Of course they exist. Sigma Aldrich makes 1/4 turn chrome plated bronze ball valves as do other valve manufacturers. If you want some I can put you in touch with Flo-Source in Mooresville, Indiana.

So again ... show a photo of the markings on your ball valves (which are not seacocks) on throughulls without backing plates.

Back
Top Bottom