Old 09-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Bacchus
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Shop & Machine Set-Up

Chapter 2 - Here is my shop & machine set-up

NOTE: When others add postings w/ tips etc Please add a title that describes the subject matter - This will make finding topics much easier when using Hybrid Display Mode - if aren't familiar with it give it a try - by selecting the Display Mode button at the top of the thread and change to Hybrid Mode.
I have found this very helpful finding topics within a long ongoing thread.

Basic shop layout - lots of flat work / layout space.... more on layout in Chapter 3

- Work / Layout Area - Lg white area - 4 flush doors w/ folding legs & "Formica" tops & clasps to hold them together tight. I picked these up at our locat Habitat for Humanity ReStore for next to nothing along with the white laminate I used on the tops.
- Note infeed & outfeed tables are not perfectly squard and they often catch zippers / draw strings, etc in the open corner and prevent a smooth feed

- Infeed & Outfeed tables - Brown

- Machine table w/ machine recessed (routed cutout) and sewing machine hinges used to enable tilting machine for cleaning, adjustment, etc
Also note optional SailRite "Monster" flywheel - slows machine & adds power (ala low gear) and allows running the machine manually w/ the handle on the wheel - used often in tight spaces, rounding corners, etc
- Work lights are in addition to general area fluorescent lighting

- Note set-up for 2 spools of thread - I chose to mount these vs a table spool holder - I like up, out of the way & permanently fixed vs potential for falling over / off the table - enables winding bobbins as you sew vs a separate operation - saves time
I use a portable spool stand for working in locations other than my shop

-Also convenient storage of wound bobbins - available from sewing supplies - JaAnn Fabrics I believe

- I can remove the machine and transport it to other locations (boat) but MUCH PREFER working in the shop and avoid working remote if at all possible.

- I use and prefer a rolling adjustable ht mechanics stool vs a chair - I think this one was from Harbor Freight but I had to add a spacer to raise the seat a bit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stitch Shop_04.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	44029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stitch Shop_05.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	44030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stitch Shop_06.JPG
Views:	201